REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Class 4 Req. for Ride Share, For/Against? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/715644-class-4-req-ride-share-against.html)

twitchyzero 11-29-2018 07:50 PM

exactly what regulations is everyone expecting?

i can only think of a clean crim check, clean driver's abstract and maybe passing vehicle inspection

even if ride-hailing comes i might only use it once or twice a year, but this is still leaving me a bad impression of the current NDP

how big can their voters' base involved in taxi industry actually be? i would think appeasing to the majority and bring in uber without the red tapes would fair them beter in the next election?

Hehe, not a bad analogy but it's like if they built a new Skytrain line and have the doors close on you and refuse to let you on if your stop is either too far or too close, and stop in the middle of the track with flashers on just because, haha

Nlkko 11-29-2018 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 8930494)
I hear what you're saying and understand this but I don't think ZERO regulation on this industry is the answer either.

For instance, I think the concerns around driver insurance are VERY valid, especially while we still have to use ICBC.

So what's middle ground?

I agree it is possible some regulations are warranted.

But just plainly apply taxi cab's regulations to new entrants because of pressures from buddy guys in Surrey voting them out of office is not the way. They should revisit regulations to see if it makes sense.

Like Class 4 for example. From what I heard in this thread, sounds like an unnecessary barrier.

Why exactly do part time drivers need different insurance? You have more or less the same pool of ride-hailing passengers with or without Uber. The amount of trip is more or less the same with or without Uber. Therefore, accidents rate and payouts are more or less the same. Why can't taxi use the same regular insurance, too?

Taxi cabs need to adapt or die like every other industry which are disrupted by technology. It is greatly beneficial to society that they do.

Great68 11-30-2018 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nlkko (Post 8930556)
Why exactly do part time drivers need different insurance? You have more or less the same pool of ride-hailing passengers with or without Uber. The amount of trip is more or less the same with or without Uber. Therefore, accidents rate and payouts are more or less the same. Why can't taxi use the same regular insurance, too?

Might as well do away with rate classes altogether then. Why am I paying business use on my car just because I have to visit a few jobsites every now and then?

fsy82 11-30-2018 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nlkko (Post 8930556)
I agree it is possible some regulations are warranted.

But just plainly apply taxi cab's regulations to new entrants because of pressures from buddy guys in Surrey voting them out of office is not the way. They should revisit regulations to see if it makes sense.

Like Class 4 for example. From what I heard in this thread, sounds like an unnecessary barrier.

Taxi cabs need to adapt or die like every other industry which are disrupted by technology. It is greatly beneficial to society that they do.

The taxi industry isnt the one regulating and dictating how much insurance they need to pay. One taxi cab pays more insurance in a month to ICBC than you will in a year.

Traum 11-30-2018 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 8930569)
Might as well do away with rate classes altogether then. Why am I paying business use on my car just because I have to visit a few jobsites every now and then?

Yeah, why are you paying for business use (insurance) on your car? IIRC, a regular work/school usage insurance allows for 6 days of business usage, I think?

Great68 11-30-2018 01:21 PM

Because I may use more than 6 days in a month?

Traum 11-30-2018 01:30 PM

If you use it that often, then it makes sense. You should also be getting reimbursed for your vehicle usage from work, in which case it shouldn't be a cost to you.

Great68 11-30-2018 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8930626)
If you use it that often, then it makes sense. You should also be getting reimbursed for your vehicle usage from work, in which case it shouldn't be a cost to you.

So the same wouldn't apply for people using their car for ridesharing? You think they're going to stop at 6 uses per month?

Keep in mind that's also just business use, there's a completely different rate class for delivery and commercial uses.

Traum 11-30-2018 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 8930629)
So the same wouldn't apply for people using their car for ridesharing? You think they're going to stop at 6 uses per month?

Keep in mind that's also just business use, there's a completely different rate class for delivery and commercial uses.

I've always been supportive of getting the ride hailing drivers to obtain business use / commercial insurance. In fact, I don't think they should be allowed to take advantage of the 6 (business) uses per month clause in non-commercial auto insurance because you know there'll be tons of people trying to cheat the system, claiming the day they got into an accident was their 5 or 6th day or driving Uber in the month.

meme405 11-30-2018 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68style (Post 8930405)
Your Class 5 has the same restriction possibilities... any doctor can take your license away any time for any of the above... my sister does it all the time at Richmond hospital.

The difference if i'm not mistaken, is that a class 4 requires you to go get checked before you can renew it. Which means you need a doctors note to renew, whereas a class 5 you don't. Hence why there is 90 y/o's with parkinsons and alzheimers rolling around at 5km/h fucking up everyones commutes.