REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-11-2018, 09:12 AM   #1
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,743 Times in 3,864 Posts
Windshield replacement in Richmond

Hey guys. Just looking for recommendations for a shop to replace the front windshield in my Focus RS. Has a large non repairable crack and unfortunately I have an event in early January that would need a non-damaged windshield for.

Most body shops farm out glass work to actual glass places. I’ve never had to replace one before so any highly recommended shops? Or ones to avoid? I’d prefer a shop used to working with more special situations, as the RS has some unique things going on with the windshield and if you search it by VIN it will give you the wrong one.

Thanks in advance RS!
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2018, 09:21 AM   #2
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 6,994 Times in 1,884 Posts
I've dealt with numerous Broco Autoglass locations (both through work and with my own cars), highly recommend them. If they have to calibrate something and they don't have the tools to do it, they'd most likely send it to the dealership

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-11-2018, 10:08 AM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,520 Times in 1,511 Posts
I've had successful replacements at Boyd Autobody and Glass on Bridgeport Rd.

They were able to help me replace both the windshield on the Civic and the E46 with OEM glass. The E46s have a rain sensor, and they accommodated for that as well, by searching for OEM glass.

During the time I was waiting for the OEM glass, if it took over a day, they gave me a rental car.

10/10 service
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-11-2018, 11:18 AM   #4
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,062 Times in 1,249 Posts
visions by trail/ikea on bridgeport

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-11-2018, 12:35 PM   #5

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

For those curious, the 2016-2017.5 RS had the European windshield which came with a huge plastic box on top to house the rain sensors, but in NA we never actually got those wipers so it’s just an empty box. So if you order off the VIN you get the early windshield with an unsightly useless box. But unlike other North American focus, the rear view mirror in the RS only maybe 2” from the top of the head liner. Every other focus has it maybe 7-8” down and it sits in the middle of your line of sight. So if you order that one it’s all wrong.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:26 PM   #6
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 6,470 Times in 1,148 Posts
I got my windshield on my Golf R replace a few months ago in the summer at Halco Glass on Clark. They gave me a courtesy car too. They used OEM glass
artofstance on twitter
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
--------------------------------------------
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Matsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:35 AM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,380 Times in 857 Posts
Not Richmond but I took my 911 to JF Vision Auto Glass by the Willingdon Costco and they went out of their way to source OEM glass and OEM seals for me even though my car is nearly 40 years old.

Jonathan, Mark, and Durien and the other guys running it were enthusiasts as well and went above and beyond to make sure the install was perfect. Can't recommend them enough.

They've a Richmond location as well so I suspect they'll be as awesome however my experience is solely with the Burnaby location.

In contrast, I took the car to classic car resto shop RWM & Co. and they wanted over $1000 to source OEM glass and couldn't guarantee that the seal will be replaced either.

Last edited by SkunkWorks; 12-12-2018 at 08:45 AM.
SkunkWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-12-2018, 06:58 PM   #8
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Just curious, would the claim for the windshield replacement show up on Carproof?

Not that it matter much though.
cococly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:16 PM   #9
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Yes it will show up on Carproof
Also +1 for vision auto glass in Burnaby.
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 04:37 PM   #10

Ended up going to broco auto glass in Richmond just across from Aberdeen mall. I work their open hours so I showed up about 10 minutes before close on Tuesday evening (yesterday). Brought in my papers and dealt with Raymond who was nothing but fantastic.

Explained the unique situation with the focus RS windshield, and also the ticking clock element with ice racing first weekend of January. We went over options from correct focus RS glass that will come with an empty plastic box on top ( which would house the euro only rain sensors). Early 2016 came with that but 17/18 didn’t. Still shows up as the only windshield in the system. Or we could try and source OEM glass, but the extra cost will be passed on to me. Either option put availability and shipping out of reach due to ice racing. We decided to go with aftermarket base focus glass.

I dropped the car off Wednesday morning (today) before work. I got a call at 10:51am saying my car was ready for pick up. Couldn’t come collect til once again, 10 minutes to close. Quickly went over the work, talked with their old timer about track racing etc.

Will inspect in more detail in the sunlight tomorrow, but so far 11/10 experience. Only issue was that the base model focus windshield has the rear view mirror almost literally in the MIDDLE of the windshield, whereas the RS has it maybe 2” from the headliner. That’s my own issue though and is no fault of broco.

Couldnt have been a smoother experience