REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-14-2018, 10:22 AM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

TPMS refund?

Would appreciate any advice on this.

Installed winter tires on my Nissan Murano with Kal Tire and they had a policy that you need to install TPMS sensors or else they wouldn't work on it. So we did and a month later, I've been going back to their shop 3 times already to get the TPMS sensors "re-calibrated" but then the light would turn back on within 2 days after they "fix" it.

Anyone know if I could get a refund and have them refund this? At this point it's like I don't even have the sensors since it keeps turning on for no reason and I basically wasted the money for this.
Advertisement
RuffleCopterz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:48 AM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Well, first of all they can get fucked with that policy. Did you get RFT snow tires? If not then other than an annoying light there’s no reason they have that policy.

So... do you park in the garage? Do you keep your all season wheels and tires close by? It’s a common issue that some vehicles can have. People reset the sensors then go home and park near their old wheels. So the car tries to read 8x sensors and it gets messed up. Seems to be random, not just a certain car or certain brand.

At this point you’re wasting not only yours by their time as well. It would be the right choice for them to refund you
Old 12-16-2018, 04:33 PM   #3
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffleCopterz View Post
Would appreciate any advice on this.

Installed winter tires on my Nissan Murano with Kal Tire and they had a policy that you need to install TPMS sensors or else they wouldn't work on it. So we did and a month later, I've been going back to their shop 3 times already to get the TPMS sensors "re-calibrated" but then the light would turn back on within 2 days after they "fix" it.

Anyone know if I could get a refund and have them refund this? At this point it's like I don't even have the sensors since it keeps turning on for no reason and I basically wasted the money for this.
+1 to above...policy is BS. We got new Nokian Hakka R3's with no TPMS. Kal Tire guy just said that depending on the car there could just a simple light(TPMS) on or annoying beeps or other error messages...then said if there was an issue (annoying beeps/errors) to come back and get the TPMS sensors installed by them ($56 a piece).

We had ordered the tires online without the sensors.

Didn't have to sign a waiver or anything.
Living with the little yellow light, no beeps or anything.

Don't know about that refund though...might have to plead your case with the Manager or if necessary contact corporate.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:28 PM   #4
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

imo it's BS to have a "must instal tpms sensors" policy, but let's back up a little bit.

Was it a company policy, or store policy, or was it a "policy" thrown against you by the salesman/service advisor?

(also, from a bit of experience, sometimes Nissans don't respond well to generic TPMS scan tools, usually they take the sensors no problem as long as it's the right type, compatible)
Old 12-16-2018, 05:30 PM   #5
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
^^ Yepp totally right. Only time I’d very very strongly suggest TPMS is if in a very specific situation. You have a vehicle with a tpms system (direct with sensors) and are equipped with runflat tires. You then order winter RFT tires on new wheels for winter. You absolutely should also get another set of sensors. Running RFT tires with no tpms system can be very dangerous. If you do have a puncture you might not realize until it’s way too late
Old 12-17-2018, 12:50 AM   #6
Banned By Establishment

I have a pathfinder and it happened to me last year when I installed the winter tires at my friend shop. He couldn't program the new TPMS with the snap on tools, so I had to take it to dealer and got it done.

I paid around $50 at dealers for swapping winter/summer + reprogram TPMS. By swapping I mean tires are on wheels already
dkvby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:01 PM   #7
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Last week Toyota dealership Mount and balanced tires for me onto rims and I specified I don't need tpms. No issues they just gave me heads up light will be on.

Same deal at Acura dealership last month. No tmps, no problem.

If dealership can, I can't see why Kal had to be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matrixfwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:43 PM   #8
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Which kal tire. Bought winters and didn’t buy tpms. Wasn’t a problem. They are not gonna sell you the tires if you don’t buy the tpms?
kkttsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:03 PM   #9
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,807 Times in 1,767 Posts
I don't know what it is about Kal Tire.

Found a nail in one of my Super Sports earlier this fall. Wife works next door to a Kal Tire, I get her to take it in for a plug/patch. Counter guy says they won't patch due to sidewall cracking (It's not fucking sidewall cracking, there's some minor hairlines in the shoulder tread blocks, parallel to the tire nothing serious).

So wife calls me to tell me this, I say "Fine whatever I'll just put my winters on early." She says "He says can quote you for new ones", "Sure, ask him for a quote for new ones, Pilot Super Sports, EXACTLY THE SAME"

She comes home with 3 quotes for Nittos and Sumitomos.
Like what part of "EXACTLY THE SAME" didn't you understand?

Then I put a plug in my one PSS and drove it the rest of the month. Was planning on getting new ones next summer anyways since tread is getting low.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-27-2018, 06:07 PM   #10
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Similar thing happened to me

My car is not equipped with TPMS but the older FTM system.

They insisted that they have to charge regardless; it was their policy.

I just walked out of there.

This is was the Fleetwood location.
09' BMW 128I Coupe (E82) - FS
04' BMW M3 Coupe (E46) - SR
17' Acura MDX SUV (YD4) - SOLD
15' Acura RDX SUV (TB4) - SOLD
14' Acura ILX Sedan (DE1) - SOLD
04' Nissan Pathfinder LE SUV (R50) - SOLD
07 Infiniti FX35 SUV (S50) -SOLD
06' BMW 330i Sedan (E90) - SOLD
97' Acura 1.6EL Sedan (MB4) - SOLD
99' Honda Civic Hatch (EJ6) - SOLD