REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:15 PM   #26
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
Apparently they also co-opted milk so if you don't want to be associated with White Nationalists, you better give it up. Good thing I've developed an intolerance for lactose so I can prove I'm not a White Nationalist.
wow it's almost as if Slogans and Memes =/= commonly available food products.
Advertisement

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 01:00 PM   #27
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
The difference between Asian pride, Black power vs White power (in a white majority, western country) is one is used in response to oppression, while the other is used to the exclusion of all others (in a white majority, western country). Take it what you will but someone saying "Asian Pride" does not want to create an all Asian ethno-state to the exclusion of all other races (except in asian majority countries).
The important thing to remember, is that white people are oppressors all over the world, even in countries where they are a very tiny minority or little more than tourists. All non-white immigrants to western countries were forced to flee their idyllic perfect homelands, where no one was ever oppressed for being different, in order to be taken advantage of and oppressed by whites.

No one race can lay exclusive claim to human greed and corruption. The people who have taken advantage of this trait up at the top, are glad to see us squabble over identity politics to determine who gets what is left of the table scraps. There are no race, gender, religious, etc requirements to join their club as long as you've got the $$$. Isn't that progressive of them!
Old 12-17-2018, 03:19 PM   #28

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
The important thing to remember, is that white people are oppressors all over the world, even in countries where they are a very tiny minority or little more than tourists. All non-white immigrants to western countries were forced to flee their idyllic perfect homelands, where no one was ever oppressed for being different, in order to be taken advantage of and oppressed by whites.

No one race can lay exclusive claim to human greed and corruption. The people who have taken advantage of this trait up at the top, are glad to see us squabble over identity politics to determine who gets what is left of the table scraps. There are no race, gender, religious, etc requirements to join their club as long as you've got the $$$. Isn't that progressive of them!
Not so fast. I'm having fun seeing the contortions being performed here to try and deny the blatant double standard.

Quote:
I didn't need Wikipedia to tell me that, it's pretty common knowledge and it's been in the news a lot lately. Using a wikipedia site is just the easiest way to inform people who aren't. Not all of us have all day to troll alt-right and antifa sites to prove their point.

The difference between Asian pride, Black power vs White power is one is used in response to oppression, while the other is used to the exclusion of all others. Take it what you will but someone saying "Asian Pride" does not want to create an all Asian ethno-state to the exclusion of all other races.

I'm pretty sure White guys go on Asian dating sites all the time and suffer no repercussions henceforth. Not sure about Black dating sites. A white dating site would be overkill since the vast majority of those on data sites are white, it would only be used as a tool to exclude minorities.

Then again any rational rebuttals will just simply prove your point in your mind, otherwise why should races even acknowledge themselves? Isn't that by in itself racist?
Right. So white people are 'oppressors' and all other races are 'oppressed'. Therefore being proud of being white is racist.
Even though Asians, followed by east Indians, on average earn quite a significantly higher median income than whites.

So I'm white and (I assume) you are not. What has my skin color that i was born with done to you personally to oppress you?
Really. I'd like to know so maybe i can rectify this injustice.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:24 PM   #29
linguistic ninja

Really? do we seriously have to get into this? No Welfare, you personally have not oppressed me or any other Asians, Blacks, Latinos, First Nations. You've certainly taken hours of our lives that we'll never get back but that's another post....

But you seriously don't believe that centuries of European peoples being the colonizer and top dog has done nothing with regards to the power structures that remain in this country others in the West? Not to mention your flippant attitude towards it which is a direct result of this power imbalance. Jeeesus H. Christ.

This post thanked by:
Old 12-17-2018, 03:36 PM   #30
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,456 Times in 989 Posts
seriously how is it that we have to keep explaining 1+1 to some people.. the conversation can't progress if we have to keep going back to, "but why male models?"
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 04:03 PM   #31

Quote:
Really? do we seriously have to get into this? No Welfare, you personally have not oppressed me or any other Asians, Blacks, Latinos, First Nations. You've certainly taken hours of our lives that we'll never get back but that's another post....

But you seriously don't believe that centuries of European peoples being the colonizer and top dog has done nothing with regards to the power structures that remain in this country others in the West? Not to mention your flippant attitude towards it which is a direct result of this power imbalance. Jeeesus H. Christ.
No, i don't. I was born with sweet fuck all. Worked hard for what little i have.
Known plenty of 'people of color' who've done very well for themselves. some not so much. Plenty of white people who've hit rock bottom and still there too. Color had nothing to do with it. No successful people i know ever felt 'oppressed' because of their skin color. Because they chose not to.

You can perpetuate the notion that people should be treated as handicapped based solely by the color of their skin if you like. Personally i think that's wrong.
-Norm Franz
Old 12-17-2018, 04:10 PM   #32
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Whether it's trolling or flat out stupidity, some people are just not going to get it. IMO just move on from them, and hope they don't join an actually harmful group.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-17-2018, 04:11 PM   #33
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Ignore list and move on.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 04:16 PM   #34
Need my Daily Fix of RS

this discussion is now about Catriona Gray

R1CED` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 04:16 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Whether it's trolling or flat out stupidity, some people are just not going to get it. IMO just move on from them, and hope they don't join an actually harmful group.
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
Ignore list and move on.
before you go breaking my heart and put me on your ignore list, do me a favor and pass that advice on to Manic! as well please. Thanks
-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 12-17-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:24 PM   #36
linguistic ninja

Welfare if you looked up the word clueless in the dictionary there’d be a picture of you.

This post thanked by:
Old 12-18-2018, 06:37 AM   #37
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

It is very serious this racist action from this woman in the metro, but why she was not arrested by the police??? and why everyone is watching and they did not do anything when this racist started attacking with the umbrella
emililadjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:13 AM   #38
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,438 Times in 5,110 Posts
1) She did get arrested.

2) It's called the bystander effect.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:57 AM   #39

Quote:
wow it's almost as if Slogans and Memes =/= commonly available food products.
wow it's almost as if Slogans and Memes, and even commonly available food products, can act as symbols and have whatever meaning we put to them. It is foolish and even dangerous and irresponsible to make guilt by association condemnations based on flimsy connections. For example: Pokimane, a non-political twitch streamer, recently had her face painted like one of her favourite memes.
Guess she is a white nationalist now (she's Moroccan). I hope Antifa doesn't bash her head in.

The point I was making, is that it doesn't matter if some person or group you oppose starts liking something you like or using innocuous phrases, they don't own them. What matters is the context YOU give them. Shying away from things and letting them have them or coming up with alternative phrases like "the N word" only serve to put power behind their negative connotations.
Quote:

I am aware of no laws in place in Canada which prohibits minorities from attaining the highest positions in the country. The power structures in place have more to do with demographics than anything else. When the majority of the population is of European ancestry, expect the majority of positions of power to reflect that.

It's like the people who complained that the Academy Awards were racist because there weren't any black nominees, yet the percentage of black nominees was slightly above the percentage of their actual population. Or how women complained about how there weren't enough women elected to government, yet when you looked at the number of woman candidates, their representation reflected the population - their only problem was that no one was voting for them despite 51% of the population being female. Or how women complain about there not being enough women in top positions, yet forget that, unless you wait for those positions to open up due to retirement, you would have to kick a perfectly capable and experienced man out of that position before you saw a shift.

The argument can and has be made that European countries or those of European origin have structures and imbalances in place which reflect demographics. Can the same be said for other countries around the world? Those European origin countries tend to be near the top in most human development, economic, and human rights/freedom indexes when compared to the rest of the world. So where is the condemnation of those other countries? Why are so many people from around the world choosing to leave their homeland for Canada and the West if they are so racists and lacking in opportunities?

Quote:
Welfare if you looked up the word clueless in the dictionary there’d be a picture of you.
Condescension and now insults. Others who are blocking people they disagree with. The true signs of a winning argument.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:09 AM   #40
linguistic ninja

Quote:
blah blah blah anecdotal evidence...blah blah I can name more successful Minorities than I do whites so that means we're the ones oppressed now
You just don't get it do you? It's not about the laws that are on the books right now. It's about the centuries of exploitation and colonization that preceded that. 50 years of "equality" isn't going to raise the aggregate income of a black or FN group with a group that has had a 400 year head start, whether that be an old stock Canadian or one that recently immigrated from Europe. Yes, today's immigrants are selected and curated based on their ability to earn and succeed, but that does not discount the discrimination and stereotypes that endure to this day. I'm sure that's hard to see from whatever boonies town you are living in right now

And as for the meme thing. I just don't even know where to start. You have to be pretty dense to think that someone painting their face for a youtube video is the same as a white nationalist using a covert meme to signal to other white nationalists.

Wait...isn't this thread about a white person being a racist to an Asian person on the subway. How the fuck did this turn into White people being the victim of injustice? For gods sake. Why do I even need to explain this again?

This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-18-2018, 10:31 AM   #41

Quote:
You just don't get it do you? It's not about the laws that are on the books right now. You mean its not about the laws in place to best create equal opportunities to succeed? It's about the centuries of exploitation and colonization that preceded that. Something no one alive can or should be made to answer for, especially given how that history is not unique to Europeans and still continues to this day all around the world 50 years of "equality" isn't going to raise the aggregate income of a black or FN group with a group that has had a 400 year head start, whether that be an old stock Canadian or one that recently immigrated from Europe. If we have laws in place attempting to give every Canadian the best chance at an equal start in life (Equality of Opportunity), then the only thing left to attain the goal you seem to be looking for(Equality of Outcome) is to create imbalances and inequality towards other groups Yes, today's immigrants are selected and curated based on their ability to earn and succeed, sure sounds racist. Are you suggesting we have open boarders so anyone can enter Canada? Are other countries around the world as racist when it comes to their borders? but that does not discount the discrimination and stereotypes that endure to this day. What are you proposing be done about it? What changes to the laws must be made? I'm sure that's hard to see from whatever boonies town you are living in right now Again with the winning aspects of an argument

And as for the meme thing. I just don't even know where to start. You have to be pretty dense to think that someone painting their face for a youtube video is the same as a white nationalist using a covert meme to signal to other white nationalists. THAT'S THE POINT! Why tell welfare that things such as "It's ok to be white" and the Pepe meme have ties to White Nationalists if you don't believe they can be seen as guilt by association?

Wait...isn't this thread about a white person being a racist to an Asian person on the subway. How the fuck did this turn into White people being the victim of injustice? For gods sake. Why do I even need to explain this again?
Gee I wonder how this thread got off track....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Dude she’s white... USA police never hurt white people
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
"Fuck outa here" So new york lol.

Bitch is wildling. What caused white privilege to trigger?
My first viewing was with no sound and her body language and actions suggested mental health issues. Since she has a think accent, I would imagine she is the product of the region she grew up in where racist remarks are more accepted or not questioned, and probably where mental health is less understood or accepted.

Last edited by Bouncing Bettys; 12-18-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Bouncing Bettys is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-18-2018, 10:38 AM   #42
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emililadjet View Post
It is very serious this racist action from this woman in the metro, but why she was not arrested by the police??? and why everyone is watching and they did not do anything when this racist started attacking with the umbrella
You havent been on a NYC subway early morning. People just trying to get to work. But there were people intervened and tried to de-escalate it by separating her when she escalated further.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:45 AM   #43
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,438 Times in 5,110 Posts
Quote:
Gee I wonder how this thread got off track....
To be fair, my comment was a ridiculous response to CiC's ridiculous post. I am white.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 12:25 PM   #44
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Old 12-18-2018, 01:50 PM   #45
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
To be fair, my comment was a ridiculous response to CiC's ridiculous post. I am white.
You are white and he's wong............

Actually, isn't he caucasian, as well?
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:23 PM   #46

Quote:
...blah blah blah centuries of colonization.. Blah blah the patriarchy... Blah blah blah victims of oppression..
Show me the evidence. You're so convinced yet you've provided none.

Quote:

My first viewing was with no sound and her body language and actions suggested mental health issues. Since she has a think accent, I would imagine she is the product of the region she grew up in where racist remarks are more accepted or not questioned, and probably where mental health is less understood or accepted.
You don't get it, do you? You're just not woke, like Manic!
Who likes to try beating up on pregnant vagrants then posting threads about it
-Norm Franz
Old 12-18-2018, 09:25 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post

You don't get it, do you? You're just not woke, like Manic!
Who likes to try beating up on pregnant vagrants then posting threads about it
Never knew you where soft on crime.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:00 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Never knew you where soft on crime.
Never knew you were fond of attacking women. Then again...
European colonization, right?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ebae2c3658a4
-Norm Franz
Old 12-18-2018, 10:11 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
Never knew you were fond of attacking women. Then again...
European colonization, right?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ebae2c3658a4
So the the law should go easier of female criminals. Your such a bleeding heart.