REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-18-2018, 06:30 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,438 Times in 1,436 Posts
Chinese EV

Qiantu k50
0-60 4.2-4.6s
435hp

Nio ES8
0-60 4.4s
650hp

Denza 400 (Daimler x BYD)
181hp

Geely Emgrand
0-60 9.9s
127hp

BYD Tang
0-60 4.4s
482hp

Byton (coming in 2019)
268-469hp

Advertisement
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:53 PM   #2
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,355 Times in 3,445 Posts
Tons of companies with EV prototypes. Most of them are vaporware. Not Chinese but for me, the most interesting is the Rivian pickup truck.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:37 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

sure, if you don't mind getting a timed bomb car
danned is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-19-2018, 12:33 AM   #4
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,776 Times in 8,170 Posts
Who is making the batteries? With China's history of exploding batteries, there's no fucking way I'd want to sit on top of a giant pile of them..

Like danned said, these shitty cheap cars will be ticking time bombs.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2018, 12:49 AM   #5
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I was in Shenzhen earlier this year and they have a full fleet of those BYD EVs as taxis. They incentivize people to take it by making it cheaper by a few Rmb. I guess that's one way to get field data for your products.
headhunt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 04:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Tons of companies with EV prototypes. Most of them are vaporware. Not Chinese but for me, the most interesting is the Rivian pickup truck.
actually, except the Byton, those are production models which can be bought in China

Quote:
Originally Posted by danned View Post
sure, if you don't mind getting a timed bomb car
Chinese timed bomb battery was a funny joke maybe 5 years ago? With so much money they have, these Chinese companies keep buying western technology. It would safe to say they are not the best, but at least they are catching up at a very quick pace.

Last edited by asian_XL; 12-19-2018 at 04:43 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2018, 08:08 AM   #7
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,698 Times in 876 Posts
I was recently in China and I was in China made Toyotas and a Trumpchi. I'm honestly surprised by the level of improvement that they now have. If you rebadged the Trumpchi you would have no idea it was a Chinese car. Sorta like a newer Tsx, quiet and refined, sure has a nicer interior than new corollas and rav 4s that I've had for courtesy cars.
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:19 AM   #8
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I have chatted to some car people in China.

They informed me that the Chinese cars is okay, but they tend to cut corners on some aspects that you can't see or feel directly.

I wouldn't be worrying much about the battery, but the car might not be as reliable and can have small issues here and there.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:45 PM   #9

With so many car makers in China, there are always cheap brands will always cut corners and make dirty cheap/unsafe cars for the mass market. There are some best selling Chinese cars that are decent to compete with, let's say Chevy Sonic or Trax market.

They get technology from partnering with western car markers, but overall design and marketing still needs massive improvement!

Look at the grill!

Interior that even my grandma won't like it
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2018, 05:50 PM   #10
I STILL don't get it

inb4 10 years from now half the people posting in this thread have a chinese ev
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2018, 06:03 PM   #11
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
actually, except the Byton, those are production models which can be bought in China

Chinese timed bomb battery was a funny joke maybe 5 years ago? With so much money they have, these Chinese companies keep buying western technology. It would safe to say they are not the best, but at least they are catching up at a very quick pace.
Yep, outdated Western perception. We are the one who are living under a rock.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2018, 06:15 PM   #12

Nobody is saying Chinese can't make good quality batteries or vehicles or anything else. They have the capability of making vehicles as well engineered as Japanese or German.

The thing is, they don't have the incentive to do so with their domestic products. 5 years ago, 10 years ago, today.

Now that may change 10 years from now, who knows what China is going to be like in a decade. And certainly when they have to build something to high standards, they can. And they constantly do with many types products today. You can get a really good TV or mobile phone (or anything really) made in China, or you can get a shitty one made in China, possibly even in the same factory.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2018, 08:44 PM   #13

I don't live in China, but it is strange to see how their people jump into new tech all in a sudden. You always see poor quality new products coming out. They don't have some well known large corporation that produce good quality stuff (like Apple, Philips, GE, Sony, Samsung, Panasonic), Xiaomi is considered somewhat better made products, but in general people still don't trust Chinese made goods.

Like 3-5 years ago, when most people are still using the spiral shape light bulbs, China is flooded with LED bulbs that don't last for half a year. Smart TV too, Android system in almost every TV, but their UI were so poorly designed and no frequent update. Chinese cell phone market and EV market are full of surprises. You will soon see PC SSD / Ram coming from China pretty soon will compete the low end market.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:06 PM   #14

That's all domestic products though... they just ship out garbage to their own people, since they figure most of them don't know any better, or care. I definitely see that, as I see people using absolute shit TVs, but don't care just because they have big screens and are cheap.

All those brands you listed that have a reputation for making high quality products, have them made in China. Very likely at the same places the cheap crap comes from
Old 12-19-2018, 09:08 PM   #15

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
off the top of my head, Xiaomi and DJI are the only Chinese brands that I trust and respect

big fat nope to Lenovo and Huawei

i think i'll always have some sorta bias when it comes to Chinese brands esp food products or safety components my life depends on (tires, brakes, climbing harness, fire extinguishers, etc.)

then again i have been having lotsa lao gan ma lately and everyday my robovac that runs is from a Shenzhen-based company

Last edited by twitchyzero; 12-19-2018 at 09:18 PM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 01:27 AM   #16

Japanese and Korean are opposite, all the great stuff keep in their own place, cheap garbage models are made in China and shipped to the rest of the world.

Foreign electronics get taxed in China, you see why Trumps are mad about it. Either very cheaply made products or very pricey foreign products (ex: Tesla, Apple), you can hardly find decent domestic designed and made products, that's how Xiaomi and Miniso becomes so popular in China.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:25 AM   #17

the Nio es8 and BYD Tang are very good cars. Tang is probably the fastest SUV I've been in, it's literally supercar performance off the line. Honestly a joke is a joke but if you guys actually got the chance to sit and drive either of these 2 EVs, you'd be pretty disappointed in most of the cars you can buy in Canada. Nio also produce the fastest EV around the ring in the world, and has a formula E team. And no battery explosions are not an issue. Over the almost half million EVs BYD's sold in the last few years not a single battery exploding or even getting close to exploding issue. Tesla's batteries would be closer to exploding than a BYDs. Chinese tech in automobiles at this point is way beyond what Canada can produce in terms of safety, performance, and value.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:59 AM   #18
I STILL don't get it

^While I'm not going to argue about EV battery life lmao if you think China can/is producing beyond Canada's standards in safety. That would be my main motivating factor not to purchase a Chinese car for a very long time. I like my seat completely breaking loose in an impact or my frame rails completely collapsing.

This is a 2 year old video, not something from a decade ago.

Last edited by prudz; 12-20-2018 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:42 AM   #19

The car models in the video are very old. Some are products designed before 2010
Old 12-20-2018, 11:02 AM   #20
I STILL don't get it

Feel free to link to current videos or proof of updated safety data. I'm open to see it.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:37 PM   #21

That car in the video is pretty old. Even if it's 2 years old, tech and manufacturing advances super fast in China. If you look at cars china produced 10 years ago vs today, they would seem like they're 30 years apart. The chinese learned everything from joint ventures with german and japanese automakers as a requirement for them to sell cars in China, they pretty much learned 30 years of car building in 10 years.

Not a video, but a crash test rating from Lynk & Co, Geely's sub brand aimed to enter euro markets next year. After buying Volvo, all of Geely's cars are pretty much rebadged Volvos, which are very safe. BYD and Nio aren't going international yet so that's why it's hard to find a crash test for them atm.
https://www.wautom.com/2018/08/lynk-...ap-crash-test/
Old 12-26-2018, 12:14 PM   #22
I STILL don't get it

I read the link and appreciate you posting it. Seeing as C-NCAP is the Chinese rating system and not North America's i'm still skeptical. Once those cars are actually tested by North America's standards and get those same ratings i'll believe it.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:51 PM   #23
HELP ME PLS!!!

The only Chinese vehicle I could find on non-chinese source.

Great Wall Motors Steed on the Australian NCAP

Great Wall Motors Steed (Sep 2016 ? onwards) Crash Test Results | ANCAP

In other news, Tesla is expected to open a gigafactory in China.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudz View Post
I read the link and appreciate you posting it. Seeing as C-NCAP is the Chinese rating system and not North America's i'm still skeptical. Once those cars are actually tested by North America's standards and get those same ratings i'll believe it.
I understand your skepticism. Not sure about NA but Cncap is based off the european safety standards and regulated very strictly as it's a first basis for chinese brands wanting to go international, which for this brand Geely plans to do very quickly. The whole chassis and structure is literally the same as a volvo xc40 which I'd imagine is very safe. If the car's superb Cncap rating doesn't meet international standards when it gets tested to those specs, Geely will remake the car to meet those standards because they've already spent so much money on pushing this brand international.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
The only Chinese vehicle I could find on non-chinese source.

Great Wall Motors Steed on the Australian NCAP

Great Wall Motors Steed (Sep 2016 ? onwards) Crash Test Results | ANCAP

In other news, Tesla is expected to open a gigafactory in China.
Yes Greatwall is a POS chinese brand and should be avoided at all costs. But to be fair, the truck market in China is non existent. Only brands that are making pickups are for urban laborers which I doubt the chinese car brands are too worried about imposing safety on (which is wrong btw).

Only chinese brand atm that's reliable is Geely, BYD is ok but has very questionable management, and NIO is so new and unorganized, I'd like to see how long they last.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:15 PM   #25

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
Euro crash standards are considered inferior to NA's

hence all the ugly bumpers on exotics sold here, and buncha reinforcements added to carbon tubs like the Alfa 4C

yeah Geely being involved in Volvo/Lotus/MG would probably have a decent track record

edit: turns out MG is owned by another Chinese group, not Geely
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote