REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:54 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,733 Times in 696 Posts
Does anyone live South of Marine Drive and Knight Street, is it loud? ie. Train noise

Hey RS.

Does anyone live South of Marine Drive and Victoria drive or close to that area? We are possibly looking at properties in that area and noticed there is a train track in that area.

I heard that trains sometimes go by at night time and because there's no train controlled crossing, they have to blow their horn, a lot.

Does anyone live in that area, and if you do, can you shed some information regards to that?

The wife is rather sensitive to noise, so I would like to know if that's a deal breaker or not.

Thanks
Advertisement
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2019, 07:33 PM   #2
easy e

I live by Kinross and Riverwalk Avenue (Public Storage) with the railroad right behind my building.

Yes, it is very loud when the train passes by because of the uncontrolled crossings and they blast their horn.

However, the train comes by 1-2 times a week on Sundays in the afternoon and consists of 2-3 cars. It has come in the late evening 9pm but I've only seen this once in the 6 months that I have lived here.

Hope this helps. I really like it down here where I can easily walk my dog.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2019, 08:30 PM   #3
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Actually my dad lives right at duff street (one block east of Victoria) and marine. Never felt like the trains were excessively noisy. Don't recall the horns going off much.
He's not right down on Kent tho, but pretty close to it.
Mind you, I'm not too sensitive to noise tho.

Not a bad area. The walk along the Fraser there is nice.
Got a decent park with volleyball, basketball, bbq and a big gazebo.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2019, 09:40 PM   #4
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
I've lived in the area for about 4 years. The train tracks are right behind me. It used to be that the train would occasionally roll by in the middle of the night, maybe once or twice a month. Even then they wouldn't always blow their horn. During the days maybe 1-3 time a week.

Things have gotten quieter as the years have gone by. For the last 2 weeks I've worked from home during the day and I think the train has gone by maybe twice. Again, the horn doesn't always get blown.

I'm a light sleeper so I'd definitely hear the horn blast at night if it was still happening, but it just doesn't occur much at all these days.

If you're worried about being stopped at the train crossing waiting while the train passes with 72370593 train cars - don't, that's never happened to me.

Even when the horn does get blown I think the train operator is more respectful with it. It's usually short 1-2 secs bursts in succession, maybe 4 in a row? Sometimes it's just once for 2-3s. It's very, very rare to have to hear the horn blast more for long periods. It's definitely the exception if that does happen.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:48 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
I have a couple of friends who lives in River District who didn't even a train crosses there
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2019, 10:35 PM   #6

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
I live right on Marine by Knight, so it's a bit further away from the tracks. Lived here pretty much all my life. It used to be worse and you could definitely hear the horns. Never notice them anymore. If anything, im more bothered by semis shaking my entire house at times.

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2019, 11:15 PM   #7

Thanked 2,733 Times in 696 Posts
Thanks for all the information everyone. We really like the area because of the river walk and the new river district has some nice restaurants and a really good walking area.

I guess if it's only a couple times per week, we could live with that. I think we'll visit the area a little bit more and see if the locals will talk to us about their experiences.

We appreciate your input thus far!
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:11 AM   #8
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
My Parents live at the River District and as said above it really only comes by on Sundays.

They love it there but the only thing that bothers them is the mosquitos in the summer.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:35 AM   #9

All I gotta say is, the people who lived along the railroads beside Venables and near main st. Enjoyed years and year's with only a train with a handful of cars a week.

Since last year, multiple long trains a day and I read the waterfront port is expanding for more.

Now I would look into the line up near Victoria drive and see where that goes? If those industries shut down, you likely just increased your property values alot. If you foresee possible more traffic, Ie, to Fraser River,. Etc. I'd stay away.

Active rail tracks are just that, depends on businesses those tracks service. Could be one a week, or none, or 4x a day.

P.s nns,

Definitely being respectful. Transport Canada States 2 long bursts, one short, one long. Equalling about 20 seconds of warning
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2019, 08:54 AM   #10
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
All I gotta say is, the people who lived along the railroads beside Venables and near main st. Enjoyed years and year's with only a train with a handful of cars a week.

Since last year, multiple long trains a day and I read the waterfront port is expanding for more.

Now I would look into the line up near Victoria drive and see where that goes? If those industries shut down, you likely just increased your property values alot. If you foresee possible more traffic, Ie, to Fraser River,. Etc. I'd stay away.

Active rail tracks are just that, depends on businesses those tracks service. Could be one a week, or none, or 4x a day.

P.s nns,

Definitely being respectful. Transport Canada States 2 long bursts, one short, one long. Equalling about 20 seconds of warning
Venebles is brutal now. I lived by PNE for from 2006-early 2019 and worked in Olympic Village while the wife worked in DT so taking Venebles/Viaduct or at least just being in the area is common and often and while it was typically pretty quite I have noticed in the past 1-2 years that the train comes frequent and at all times of day and these are not like 2-3 cars but they are there for a while.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:24 AM   #11
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,293 Times in 2,508 Posts
In addition to just noise, I would also be concerned about vibrations from the train / tracks. I used to have a property near the WCE / Evergreen Line Port Moody station, and the noise of the trains passing through never bothered me. However, the vibrations from the trains on the track definitely took me by surprise when I first lived there. Some of my guests have thought it was an earthquake as well.

You get used to it quite quickly. At the same time, I also have some concerns about long term structural integrity of the building given the recurring vibrations. The building is still relatively new, but according to the strata last year, a (horizontal) crack on the exterior wall has appeared across multiple units. The developer had a look and said it was cosmetic and non-structural, but I don't know how much of their word I can take.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2019, 10:03 AM   #12

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
I live in New West just up from the quay.
I'd say that living next to a rail track isn't bad, it's living near the rail yards.

Trains constantly coming and going, shifting and moving the rail cars around. Banging and crashing by starting and stopping trains of 50+ cars.

subordinate has a good point in regards to the businesses using the rail tracks, yet as far as I know, most of the business down on Kent closer to Granville & Oak St. are slowly phasing out as the properties are trying to rezone for residential/commercial rather than their original industrial uses.

I can tell you that I have a buddy who lives just West of River District between the river & Marine Drive and he has never complained about hearing a single train whenever I bring it up.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2019, 01:54 PM   #13
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,376 Times in 1,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Venebles is brutal now. I lived by PNE for from 2006-early 2019 and worked in Olympic Village while the wife worked in DT so taking Venebles/Viaduct or at least just being in the area is common and often and while it was typically pretty quite I have noticed in the past 1-2 years that the train comes frequent and at all times of day and these are not like 2-3 cars but they are there for a while.
YES I noticed this too! Been driving Downtown to Burnaby via Georgia Viaduct > Prior Street to visit gf/now in-laws for over 15 years now. Only this year I've been stopped twice at the tracks for what seems like 20 minutes while a 40 car freight train rolls by. Any idea if this is the new normal? Should I just take Hastings or Terminal from now on?

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
YES I noticed this too! Been driving Downtown to Burnaby via Georgia Viaduct > Prior Street to visit gf/now in-laws for over 15 years now. Only this year I've been stopped twice at the tracks for what seems like 20 minutes while a 40 car freight train rolls by. Any idea if this is the new normal? Should I just take Hastings or Terminal from now on?
New Norm. And Waterfront Docks is expanding. Expect more....
Yeah, the city will have to do something about it. Maybe build an overpass. Edit, Looks like a overpass is in the works at Centennial. near Clark.

https://www.portvancouver.com/develo...nsion-project/

900k to 1.8Mill Containers. Almost double..
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:52 PM   #15

Thanked 1,600 Times in 542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Every day they send a train along Grandview highway during peak rush times at 730AM and 330PM... They must be purposely trying to piss off all the motorists or something...
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:02 PM   #16
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
In addition to just noise, I would also be concerned about vibrations from the train / tracks. I used to have a property near the WCE / Evergreen Line Port Moody station, and the noise of the trains passing through never bothered me. However, the vibrations from the trains on the track definitely took me by surprise when I first lived there. Some of my guests have thought it was an earthquake as well.

You get used to it quite quickly. At the same time, I also have some concerns about long term structural integrity of the building given the recurring vibrations. The building is still relatively new, but according to the strata last year, a (horizontal) crack on the exterior wall has appeared across multiple units. The developer had a look and said it was cosmetic and non-structural, but I don't know how much of their word I can take.
Traum raises an excellent point about the integrity of the structure you live in *possibly* being compromised by the train.

Up til this point I just figured it was either a) poor workmanship or b) the piledriving they've been doing when constructing the new neighboring apartments. The building I live in is maybe 5ish years old, yet some nails are starting to appear through the ceiling, or cracks up along the corner of my bathroom wall. Even my various doorways, including my bedroom door, washroom door, and front door have or continue to rub up against the door frame. I've had to sand the washroom door down at the top so that it would stop rubbing up against the frame. The front door has gone through periods where it'll rub (like right now), or it'll suddenly stop.

It could be the train vibrations, the reasons I mentioned above, or something completely different. I'd wager the train causing the above structural issues being last on the list because it just doesn't come by often enough.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:21 PM   #17
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
The building I live in is maybe 5ish years old, yet some nails are starting to appear through the ceiling, or cracks up along the corner of my bathroom wall. Even my various doorways, including my bedroom door, washroom door, and front door have or continue to rub up against the door frame. I've had to sand the washroom door down at the top so that it would stop rubbing up against the frame. The front door has gone through periods where it'll rub (like right now), or it'll suddenly stop.

It could be the train vibrations, the reasons I mentioned above, or something completely different. I'd wager the train causing the above structural issues being last on the list because it just doesn't come by often enough.
I think that's normal. The condo I live in has the cracks you refer to. They appeared in my first year of ownership (first/only owner). No new ones have appeared. I will plaster it when it's time to sell, otherwise, I don't really notice it. It's a wood frame building, so I expect some shifting when the season changes. Also related, the door to the 2nd bedroom doesn't 'latch' in the winter time. None of this has affected my quality of living here for the past 13 years.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:44 AM   #18
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,376 Times in 1,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
New Norm. And Waterfront Docks is expanding. Expect more....
Yeah, the city will have to do something about it. Maybe build an overpass. Edit, Looks like a overpass is in the works at Centennial. near Clark.

https://www.portvancouver.com/develo...nsion-project/

900k to 1.8Mill Containers. Almost double..
ah fuck that does shit all for people who take Prior/Venables. Perhaps they're counting on the viaducts coming down and traffic redirecting to the new Malkin Connector since they want to turn Prior/Venables into a "neighborhood" street - with freight trains rolling through it .

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:11 PM   #19
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Lived in River District for the past 5 years and I swear I notice the train like once a month if that. I also have never had to stop at the tracks for a train crossing. As for the train compromising structure I'd be pretty worried if a passing by train rumble will topple a building. That would be third world country shoddy build quality there lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post

Exterior wall isn't structural. Structural is foundation, beams, roof truss, etc. Basically the "bones" of the building everything else is technically cosmetics
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2019, 10:19 PM   #20
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I'm right by Romer's Burger River District and I rarely notice the train. I also have never stopped at the tracks for a train crossing and never witnessed any trains go by. You get a lot of spiders and very tiny flying bugs during the summer time if you leave the window open, even if you have a screen. The fraser river attracts mosquitos and flying bugs which in turn attracts spiders to feast on them :/
chipmunk604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2019, 11:39 PM   #21
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,809 Times in 3,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowball View Post
Every day they send a train along Grandview highway during peak rush times at 730AM and 330PM... They must be purposely trying to piss off all the motorists or something...
when you think you're minutes from home to pee/take a shit and you hear the bells and down comes the guard

in a few years i wouldn't put it past the traffic backing up closer to 1st ave
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:45 AM   #22
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowball View Post
Whenever I hit this and see that it isn't a West Coast Express I'm like fuuuuck. Luckily though after taking Renfrew to and from home for 12 years I've in the last 1-2 years taken it way less frequently now and instead take Nanaimo instead because there are no tracks there.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:59 AM   #23

while we're at it does anyone live in gastown?

sometimes hear extremely large explosion sounds, like a fucking grenade going off

have googled this and seems no consensus on what it is

like literally middle of the night 4am a giant explosion will go off
m4k4v4li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:41 PM   #24

Thanked 1,815 Times in 341 Posts
On another note, I have two friends that live at River District. Their windows and outdoor decks are covered with spiders. They say its because its near a swamp area? You guys have a lot of spiders too?

2018 Golf R MK7.5 (Daily)
2001 S2000 (Weekend Warrior)
1991 Merc 300 TE-24 AMG Estate - Sold
2005 STi - Sold
1987 AE86 GTS - Sold
1986 AE86 GTS - Sold
gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:45 PM   #25
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunk604 View Post
I'm right by Romer's Burger River District and I rarely notice the train. I also have never stopped at the tracks for a train crossing and never witnessed any trains go by. You get a lot of spiders and very tiny flying bugs during the summer time if you leave the window open, even if you have a screen. The fraser river attracts mosquitos and flying bugs which in turn attracts spiders to feast on them :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilly View Post
On another note, I have two friends that live at River District. Their windows and outdoor decks are covered with spiders. They say its because its near a swamp area? You guys have a lot of spiders too?
HonestTea is online now   Reply With Quote