REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 01-13-2019, 10:38 PM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Ceiling Leak - Basement Suite

Just noticed this light brown stains on the middle of my bedroom basement suite. It doesn't look like it dripped because my bed sheets are clean and also the spot is not wet, so likely been there for couple days tops. I usually notice things in my room considering the walls are pretty much one colored interiors (typical 2008 Vancouver special homes).

Upstairs above my room is a washroom toilet/sink and bathtub shower.

I have no idea what to do since this is not my field. Anyone have any experience? Or can recommend me someone in this field that deals with these issues?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:57 AM   #2

Thanked 4,067 Times in 1,252 Posts
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.u...000139629.html

Check your caulking and recaulk

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:27 AM   #3
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
I’ll post a mode in depth opinion later when I’m at my computer, but looking at it is appears a to be a relatively straight line as opposed to a huge puddle etc.

So, what that leads me to believe it may be a grout line or the caulking in and around the tub, whether that is at the base of the tub where the floor butts into it, or around the top of the tub where the surround/tiling is. It’s hard to tell though because it may be dripping from somewhere else and simply running along the floor and then dripping causing that line.

Do you know what is directly above that spot? Is it the tub, toilet, etc? You could try and take the light fixture down and see what kind of electrical box is there, it may be possible to remove the screws from the electrical box and push it back up into the ceiling and either reach up into the cavity or fish a camera up there (depending on the way the joists run though you may not be able to see much)

Really the only way to get the bigger picture is to cut a whole in the ceiling which really sucks since your ceiling is textured there and it’s cirtually impossible to match the texture of the older ceiling.

So there’s kinda two options, you can try and find where the water is leaking, weather that be around the toilet, a caulking line etc. and try to stop the leak and eventually the ceiling will dry out and you could just paint over it a bit. Or do the full investigation, address the issue properly (could be leaking pipes which will never be resolved without opening the ceiling)

Shitty thing is opening the ceiling is gonna be like a few thousand once you’re done probably
Old 01-14-2019, 10:56 AM   #4

^Directly above is the tub and then a toilet beside the tub.

Right now, I told my dad to not use the washroom directly above the basement suite since I don't want to cause further damage until it gets addressed.

I checked the washroom upstairs for visible water spots, everywhere is dry, so it leads me to believe it's something under the tub/washroom.

I'm going to take the light fixture off and see what I can see after work.

I am already set on the ceiling being cut open since it's really impossible to determine the source at this point. Was hoping this would cost $1-2K tops, few thousand? There goes my vacation funds. FML.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:25 AM   #5
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
If u diy, itl cost next to nothing.
Fafine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:51 AM   #6

You could cut it open yourself and even reboard it if you’ve got some know-how. The problem is going to be matching the texture

Like honestly at that point you’re better off just ripping down the entire ceiling or boarding over the old one. I’ve never seen somone match the texture
Old 01-14-2019, 11:55 AM   #7

^Right now, not too concerned about matching the ceiling (that can wait haha). Just want to address the main issue which is the leak.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:56 AM   #8
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
You could cut it open yourself and even reboard it if you’ve got some know-how. The problem is going to be matching the texture

Like honestly at that point you’re better off just ripping down the entire ceiling or boarding over the old one. I’ve never seen somone match the texture
Even for professionals, it's close to impossible trying to match those textures... It will look off.

I moved into a new condo not too long ago and had some settling cracks in the ceiling, the warranty took care of it and they used a manual pump-type to re-do the textures... You can still tell where they have sprayed it, it's never the same unless you repaint the whole ceiling.
DaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2019, 01:04 PM   #9
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

run the tub and see if it comes back

flush the toilet and see if that causes it

just do multiples of each just not at the same time and a couple days apart, see if you can recreate the leak
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
run the tub and see if it comes back

flush the toilet and see if that causes it

just do multiples of each just not at the same time and a couple days apart, see if you can recreate the leak
For sure it'll come back because, a white colored ceiling don't just suddenly become brownish.

Only reason I don't want to test it right now, I don't want to make things worst than what it already is. If it's dry now, I don't want it wet until I find a professional to investigate. It's likely not sink nor toilet, it's the tub because the sink and toilet get used multiple times a day and it wouldn't dry up that fast. The tub only gets used once a week, so it leads me to believe this is the culprit.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:52 PM   #11
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
Make some soft pencil marks at the edges so you can keep an eye on it and see if it gets larger. I'd do a good visual check of the sealant all around the tub and see if there are any obvious gaps, if you can't find any I'd redo all that first since you might be able to fix it with just a couple tubes of caulking and some paint for the ceiling.

As for repairing the ceiling if you do have to open it up, if this is a bedroom I assume the ceiling isn't directly flowing into other rooms? In which case I'd ditch the texture completely and just go to a flat ceiling.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:17 PM   #12
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,149 Times in 388 Posts
At least it's a newer house and you don't have to worry about asbestos. I have a home from the 50/60s and I'm 99% sure the textured ceiling I have contains asbestos.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikoyan View Post
At least it's a newer house and you don't have to worry about asbestos. I have a home from the 50/60s and I'm 99% sure the textured ceiling I have contains asbestos.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:26 AM   #14
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Find a crack and stick your caulk in it.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-17-2019, 01:09 PM   #15

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
Sweaty pipes?.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:51 PM   #16
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I’ll post a mode in depth opinion later when I’m at my computer, but looking at it is appears a to be a relatively straight line as opposed to a huge puddle etc.

So, what that leads me to believe it may be a grout line or the caulking in and around the tub, whether that is at the base of the tub where the floor butts into it, or around the top of the tub where the surround/tiling is. It’s hard to tell though because it may be dripping from somewhere else and simply running along the floor and then dripping causing that line.

Do you know what is directly above that spot? Is it the tub, toilet, etc? You could try and take the light fixture down and see what kind of electrical box is there, it may be possible to remove the screws from the electrical box and push it back up into the ceiling and either reach up into the cavity or fish a camera up there (depending on the way the joists run though you may not be able to see much)

Really the only way to get the bigger picture is to cut a whole in the ceiling which really sucks since your ceiling is textured there and it’s cirtually impossible to match the texture of the older ceiling.

So there’s kinda two options, you can try and find where the water is leaking, weather that be around the toilet, a caulking line etc. and try to stop the leak and eventually the ceiling will dry out and you could just paint over it a bit. Or do the full investigation, address the issue properly (could be leaking pipes which will never be resolved without opening the ceiling)

Shitty thing is opening the ceiling is gonna be like a few thousand once you’re done probably
The straight line of the stain is far more likely to be from the water following a joist, not because there is a straight line above the next rooms subfloor.

Only way to know what's causing it, if the upstairs bathroom doesn't have an obvious leak, is to start opening things up.
CCA-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote