REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-22-2019, 10:52 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
Any Mazda or suspension guy here?

I just got my car back from alignment shop and here is the report. It is lowered with TEIN coilover.

Toe seems fine? Camber looks quite bad?
Advertisement
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:32 AM   #2
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

looks pretty even...
In general, independent suspensions naturally gain negative camber as it travels upwards... if you just straight swap coilover assemblies, your LCA remain the same length, but are now at a position where the lower ball joint is slightly more outward, thus giving you more (-)ve camber.

Just googled some images, seems like mazda strut ass'y inserts into knuckle and secured with a pinch bolt? if you must put the camber back to spec, you'll need these

Otherwise... the reading isnt too too bad, but it may induce some camber wear over time.
Are there other cars out there with -2° oe spec camber?
On the other hand, currently the plus side is improved cornering stability

Last edited by coneZONE; 01-23-2019 at 07:39 AM.
coneZONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:13 AM   #3

It is a Mazda 5, hard cornering is not necessary lol.
I just hate the alignment guy who keeps saying horrible things like that camber angle will likely eat your tires before you go home.

by the way where can I get that camber plate?
Old 01-27-2019, 08:35 PM   #4
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

sorry i hadn't gotten back sooner...

This is the website the google image linked to
https://corksport.com/corksport-mazd...er-plates.html

But can any Mazda guys chime in on compatibility with the 5?

I tried looking for other sources but Honestly i'm not that familiar with the aftermarket.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:30 PM   #5

I just visually checked the strut tower from the engine bay, the -2deg front side is not position in the dead center, I can see the top adjustment knob is slightly lean inward (toward the engine).

My question: if I lose the 3 top mounting bolts, is it easy to yank it to the center? (with jack stand of course)
Old 01-28-2019, 11:10 AM   #6
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
don't worry about the -2 degrees of camber.

Camber doesn't really affect tire wear, vs toe unless you are always hard starting and slamming on the brakes all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:11 AM   #7
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
I just visually checked the strut tower from the engine bay, the -2deg front side is not position in the dead center, I can see the top adjustment knob is slightly lean inward (toward the engine).

My question: if I lose the 3 top mounting bolts, is it easy to yank it to the center? (with jack stand of course)
No, cause the holes where the bolts go through are usually slightly bigger than the bolts, but not enough to affect things THAT much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:06 PM   #8
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,025 Posts
You never run 0 front toe on a FWD car, so that's fine. You can choose to have 0 toe on the rear for tire wear, fuel economy, and cornering ability. All those are minor though

I wouldn't be too concerned about the front camber, I've never had 0 front camber on any of my cars. A little camber helps turn in and about 2 degrees aren't going to reduce tire life. What you could do is ask the shop to shift your front subframe to the right and balance out the camber on the front. These cars don't have adjustable camber, you really could only balance it left to right with the subframe trick.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 02:09 AM   #9

Trying to figure out what's going on and I see the left strut tower doesn't look the same as the right side, the one on the right side in the photo seems to be leaning to the side.

Is this something can be fixed?

Old 02-03-2019, 06:27 PM   #10
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

You can always loosen the top bolts a bit and pull it away from the engine to add positive camber. I did the opposite to add negative camber on my mazdaspeed3. If anything you'll get .1-2 difference. As noted above, -2 is nothing and it's toe out that will kill your tires. I run 0 toe front/rear for autox/track and even then I don't notice any expedited tire wear.
Oshiguru is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: