REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:45 AM   #1
I bringith the lowerballerith

Roadtrip to LA, whats it like?

My friends and I were thinking of road tripping to LA. The journey going there just as important as staying in LA. What can I expect? Whats it like driving down at this time of the year? Any recommended stops? How many days?

Please and thank you.
Advertisement
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2019, 12:01 PM   #2
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,455 Times in 988 Posts
takes a lot longer than people say... i always hear people say like 16-20 hours but budget in like 22 hours or so, and that's taking the I5 the whole way. if you want to take the scenic route along the coast it's significantly longer but worth it if you have the time
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2019, 12:08 PM   #3
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,433 Times in 5,107 Posts
It’s amazing. Shouldn’t this be in the travel section?

Portland is a good stop, San Fran is a good stop but slightly off your direct journey to LA it’s actually Sacramento you run into on the I5.... I fully recommend doing the coast from San Francisco down to LA as the regular highways are very straight and boring.

Big Sur is a highlight, redwood forests are amazing.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2019, 12:23 PM   #4
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
Woe to anyone who decides the I5 is the way to do it. Such horrible drive made necessary by the "need to get there". Much, much better ways to get down there.

Take 50hrs of driving (plus gas stops, food stops, sleeping) and you will have a road trip of epic proportions. I've even cut out a bunch of good stuff on this map. The route pictured here would be a fantastic 8 day drive with time for stops and enjoying yourself along the way. I've done it in three days, but you don't have time to eat and barely have time to pee along the way. Eight days there and back you'd see a tonne of things most people simply drive by. But you can be in L.A. in 22 hours if you have multiple drivers and take the I-5.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 1.21.06 PM.jpg (114.5 KB, 0 views)
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2019, 12:42 PM   #5
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
The wife and I did the 101 down to Crescent city a couple years ago, it's a great little drive.

We averaged about 5-6 hours of driving a day, spent nights at Seaside, Newport and Brookings with a few other stops along the way (Yay for lots of microbreweries/brew pubs along the way and a pregnant wife who couldn't drink, so she did all the driving after lunch :P)

Agreed, the drive home on the I5 was absolutely mind numbing. We tried to do the whole shot back in one day but had to stop in Portland out of exhaustion. The little highway 199 connector to the I5 was pretty fun though.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2019, 01:01 PM   #6
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,123 Times in 179 Posts
Done it many times, and the comments above are spot on. The coast is great for views, but does take forever, and there can be a fair bit of very slow moving traffic (RV's).

I like to take the 405 before Seattle out to Yakima and then the 97 all the way down through Oregon and back onto I5 at Weed, CA, Usually stopping in Klamath Falls for the night. From there I5 to Sacramento area and then decide what you want to do. The section of I5 from Sac to LA is the most boring piece of highway you might ever drive. Even taking the 99 (which parallel's I5) is more interesting.

There's lots of great roads north and south of SF, so if you have time they can be a blast. SF is a neat place, but DT is very expensive, especially with our exchange rate.

You can do the drive fairly easily in two days, but three is more enjoyable. Sometimes I'll blast down I5 to Redding, so that I can have two days driving the more interesting roads in the mountains north of LA. Angeles forest is great, but so are many of the roads around Big Bear Lake.

Medford is the closest In'n'Out, but I usually wait until Redding because it's always been a California tradition.
immorality is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2019, 01:22 PM   #7
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

NorCal is straight and boring on the i5. I haven't done it in a while but take the coast if you can. Monterey is nice. Or if you want to take a completely different route, go through the desert and spend a few nights in Las Vegas before continuing down the i15 to LA.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:28 PM   #8
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
what about flying there and driving back?
then dump the rental at seatac/bellingham and shuttle/train back

or vice versa?

Turo's out though
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2019, 02:47 PM   #9
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,324 Times in 5,641 Posts
Furthest I’ve driven south is Portland and yea, the i5 is ducking brutal. It’s nice that it’s “fast” but other than that I couldn’t imagine a more boring dull drive
Old 02-11-2019, 02:53 PM   #10
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
I haven't done the whole drive but I've done some of the segments:

Vancouver-Portland-Oregon Coast
SF - Big Sur
LA -Santa Barbara
LA- San Diego

I'd drive all the way to San Diego too if I were you, there's some really nice beach communities in Orange County (na na na na na na Califoooornia!) Plus SD is a really chill and pretty city in it's own right. Big Sur is amazing but make sure to fill up gas beforehand. Santa Barbara is where i'd keep a house if I won the lottery and spend the winter in.

You can even dip into Tijuana if you're feeling adventurous, though I'd leave the car in the States.

Probably say no to renting a car one way and flying back. I'd imagine the one-way drop off fee would be discouraging. Take the I-15 coming back via Vegas, Utah, Yellowstone if you have a ton of time on your hands.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2019, 03:36 PM   #11
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
I always wanted to take the S2K down, but a speeding ticket makes it cheaper to fly there and just rent a car from Turo.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:44 PM   #12

isnt that half the fun of owning a roadster tho...to do road trips down the coast
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2019, 03:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
I'd imagine the one-way drop off fee would be discouraging.
Typically about $250 USD. I do it fairly often when I'm doing routes for events.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2019, 08:24 PM   #14
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

How is the 101 hwy in washington/Oregon versus the 101 starting in crescent city/California? Was thinking of going I5 through Seattle and Portland and then 199 to 101 hwy starting at crescent city and driving down to LA via the 101 and 1 hwy. Will I be missing out on a lot of scenery not doing the 101 through washington/Oregon?
shiesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:44 PM   #15

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
I wouldn't do it until the weather the warmer.

If there are only 2 people driving, then the trip will be much longer or more frequent stops, afterall, it's a roadtrip, not 24hr LeMan, need some rest before going to next stop.

LA is a good stay, but last time I went all the way to San Diego then Mexico, which I find it more memorable than the North.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2019, 09:05 PM   #16
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
I did the route Dave posted but only down to San Fran. We took 6 days to get there and loved every minute of it.
Max 6 hours of driving a day, lots of cool towns, stopping at any beach that we wanted to.
I posted a thread on TCL documenting it a bit.
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-a-TCL-darling
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2019, 06:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
isnt that half the fun of owning a roadster tho...to do road trips down the coast
Might have to do that now.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 02-12-2019, 06:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I did the route Dave posted but only down to San Fran. We took 6 days to get there and loved every minute of it.
Max 6 hours of driving a day, lots of cool towns, stopping at any beach that we wanted to.
I posted a thread on TCL documenting it a bit.
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-a-TCL-darling
I'm thinking about heading down to SF but not go down to LA. Is it worth driving out to Grand Canyons? Anyone done it?

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 02-12-2019, 07:06 AM   #19
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
I've done both the coast route (going down) and the I5 route (coming back) and the coast route is just awesome. I cut across to the coast when I got to Olympia then did the coast the rest of the way to SF. Like others, I made lots of stops to hang out cause it's beautiful out there.

On the way back I did a nonstop 16 hour drive from SF back to Vancouver. It was awful, don't do it unless you're a glutton for punishment.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2019, 08:35 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
I'm thinking about heading down to SF but not go down to LA. Is it worth driving out to Grand Canyons? Anyone done it?
I've always done my Grand Canyon trips starting in either Vegas or L.A., simply because I was "in the area". I'd say it's worth seeing, there are some fun routes that can be taken from L.A. I actually prefer the North Rim, but the most of the development or "touristy" stuff is all on the south rim. Actually, I think I just figured out why I prefer the North Rim...

Anyways, yes, worth it. You can be in Grand Canyon Village in 8hrs...but if you want the fun route, you want to take 2-3 days. I'd send you out via the mountain roads Magnus Walker loves, then into Big Bear, over to Palm Springs, through Joshua Tree, Kingman (Route 66 town), and then up to the Grand Canyon.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2019, 11:28 AM   #21

i wouldn't say so...it's at least a day of straight driving from SF
i would fly and start from Vegas
Utah has some incredible canyon twisties...i always tell people to go there instead if you're only gonna pop by GC South Rim and snap a pic

capitol reef

zion

arches (my pic)

Last edited by twitchyzero; 02-12-2019 at 11:34 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2019, 11:34 AM   #22

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
I did it twice in the past 3 years.

Once starting from LA, and taking the coast all the way up to SF and then up to about eureka all on the coast, and then I ran out of time and had to race back so I hopped over to the I5 and came back to van.

This past time a few buddies and I went from van to SF, trip looked like this:

Day 1 - Van to Portland - Chill in portland see the sights for the day
Day 2 - Portland to Coos Bay - Cannon Beach, thors well are some of the interesting things to see along the way
Day 3 - Coos Bay to Crescent City - ATVing on the dunes, see the redwoods, etc.
Day 4 - Crescent City to Eureka - More Redwoods, drive through Tree, unbelievable beaches, etc.
Day 5 - Eureka to SF - This was a longer day of driving and these roads are windy, so if you get carsick just hit the i5, but the drive is pretty beautiful, its nothing you wont see if you do the coast after SF to LA.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-15-2019, 08:12 AM   #23
I don't get it

I've done the drive from here to LA a time or two. Definitely try and ride the dunes if you have time along the border of OR and CA. Also, if you have the time, it's worth it to drive over to Vegas and/or AZ to see the Grand Canyon.
eclipseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:18 PM   #24
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeknerd View Post
Whats it like driving down at this time of the year? Any recommended stops? How many days?
This time of year? I recommend winter tires, preferably on awd or 4wd vehicle. I've hit snow in mt Shasta area of northern Cali before, a bit stressful with snow everywhere and not many vehicle on the highway while travelling in the middle of the night. Done it before, I would wait until spring.