REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Honda E Prototype (Urban EV) (https://www.revscene.net/forums/715893-honda-e-prototype-urban-ev.html)

twitchyzero 02-27-2019 07:56 PM

EVs need to at least match the average fuel tank range ~500-600km for me to consider them

you need to think when the battery is 6-8 years old, and the temp is below freezing, and the traffic is crawling, let's say you forgot to charge overnight and there's only 28% left, yeah you can probably make it to work and back...but i would hate that anxiety

surely there will be extended booster battery packs coming like carrying around a spare battery...?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNightmare (Post 8940883)
I have friends that pre-plan everywhere they go and select restaurants to go eat out based on whether it's close enough to a charging station, lol.

your friends don't own the car, the car owns them

Koflach 02-27-2019 10:43 PM

My model 3 has a range of 500 km and I just charge at home. I've owned it since the end of August and i've only not charged at home once. If you get an EV with a decent range, you don't really need an extensive urban charging network for people who drive under 200-300 km a day.

!LittleDragon 02-27-2019 11:12 PM

It's like driving a desk!

Manic! 02-28-2019 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8940899)
Personally I wouldn’t even consider an EV that didn’t get at least 600km. 1000 would be ideal. It’s not so much in day to day use, it’s the 6-10 trips a year where I don’t want to stop 3 times for half an hour to charge.

A few people at work have Model X’s and they park them on the street. They use those like rubber car ramps to conceal the cable over the sidewalk when charging..kinda ghetto

Anyone interested in an EV should be doing research regarding chargers. Because my understanding is that only Tesla’s can use the “supercharger”? Where as Tesla’s can use any charger with the adapter?

Most family's have more than one car. So one smaller EV for daily and another bugger car for road trips. With the money your saving on fuel you could just rent a car for long road trips.

The EV Cannonball record is 50 hours, 16 minutes, 32 seconds. That's from California to New York.

http://thedrive.com/new-cars/17312/t...urs-16-minutes

supafamous 02-28-2019 05:37 AM

I'm in the market for a compact SUV/wagon right now and really wish there was a nice EV in that size that is less than $50K - there's the Niro which is too small and then the Audi eTron which is in the $90K range. Charging will probably be a PITA as I can't park in my garage but I have nearly zero trips per year where I need more than 300-400km of range.

SumAznGuy 02-28-2019 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 (Post 8940902)
Correct, only Tesla can use their superchargers however there are DC fast chargers around town which is pretty quick but those are paid rather than free like regular chargers.

Most DC fast chargers are free. Only one that you need to pay for is the PNE Empire field one.
The Superstore on Grandview hwy is free and so are the 2 at BCIT.

SumAznGuy 02-28-2019 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNightmare (Post 8940883)
EV is great and all, but I don't find EV charging readily available enough yet at this point, and it still takes extra effort to make sure you can find a spot to charge up.

I park on the street at home so I don't have a convenient way to charge up.

Gas is expensive and all, although I've personally never considered it too expensive to the point I would rather drive EV to cut costs. I have no issue with the range, but I just don't want to worry about not being able to find places to charge up when I need to. Not really practical for my lifestyle. I have friends that pre-plan everywhere they go and select restaurants to go eat out based on whether it's close enough to a charging station, lol.

Pretty sure they aren't telling you the whole story.
I've had my leaf since August, and in the beginning, had the dreaded range anxiety but now, it's not a big thing. I know how far I can go with the charge left in my batteries. I know where all the chargers are and have adjusted my lifestyle a tad to live with the EV.
I park in a parkade with no access to an outlet so my only charging comes from public chargers. 20 mins at the SC fast chargers is more than enough charge per day. Let it charge for 30 mins and I get 2 days commuting to work.
From 9% battery, 45 mins gets me up to 80% at the fast chargers.

Lvl 2 chargers take longer, but again it's not that bad.

prudz 02-28-2019 08:10 AM

I really think the city and some engineers should develop a charging station that is installed underground (to save on space) and be a combined parking meter. Start converting parking meters all over the city (at least a few on every block) and charge for a charge and parking at the same time. Cars get charged, access is everywhere, people get motivated to buy ev's and the city makes money.

SumAznGuy 02-28-2019 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prudz (Post 8940951)
I really think the city and some engineers should develop a charging station that is installed underground (to save on space) and be a combined parking meter. Start converting parking meters all over the city (at least a few on every block) and charge for a charge and parking at the same time. Cars get charged, access is everywhere, people get motivated to buy ev's and the city makes money.

Watch them do that and then some guy cuts off the cable and tries to sell the copper wiring.

On a serious note, dunno if the city's electrical network can handle the load when EV cars are more common.

prudz 02-28-2019 10:22 AM

I'm sure they would fall in line and figure it out. The entire world will have to figure solutions like that out for EV's to really work for the masses.

Hondaracer 02-28-2019 02:44 PM

Having to spend 20 minutes parked somewhere every 2nd day just to commute to work sounds like a big headache. I know it’s only 20 minutes but still..

GS8 02-28-2019 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8941001)
Having to spend 20 minutes parked somewhere every 2nd day just to commute to work sounds like a big headache. I know it’s only 20 minutes but still..

That's valuable poop time for me.

ilovebacon 02-28-2019 08:14 PM

Am I the only person who isnt a fan of the modern PRND shifter?

Klondike 02-28-2019 08:59 PM

https://i.cbc.ca/1.4404187.151078545...-vancouver.jpg

Literally the same thing. This guy's living in 3008 while we're living in 2000-late

Manic! 02-28-2019 08:59 PM

Quote:

And how much do you spend in fuel every week?

SumAznGuy 03-01-2019 06:10 AM

Quote:

I won't lie, but not everyone is the same. I work within 5 mins of a DC fast charger and start early which means I get to hang out in my car and chill while having lunch and charge my car at the same time.

Plus, I can always park and go into Superstore and do my grocery shopping while the car charges.

twitchyzero 03-01-2019 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8941043)
And how much do you spend in fuel every week?

$25

AzNightmare 03-02-2019 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SumAznGuy (Post 8940945)
Pretty sure they aren't telling you the whole story.
I've had my leaf since August, and in the beginning, had the dreaded range anxiety but now, it's not a big thing. I know how far I can go with the charge left in my batteries. I know where all the chargers are and have adjusted my lifestyle a tad to live with the EV.
I park in a parkade with no access to an outlet so my only charging comes from public chargers. 20 mins at the SC fast chargers is more than enough charge per day. Let it charge for 30 mins and I get 2 days commuting to work.
From 9% battery, 45 mins gets me up to 80% at the fast chargers.

Lvl 2 chargers take longer, but again it's not that bad.

They are very happy with it. My friend doesn't just love it, he promotes it to everyone. lol
If people really want it, they will adapt. It's just a matter of whether it works for your lifestyle or not. I don't really do much short "errand" trips often, so I would rely heavily on home charging, but I don't park my car in a garage, lol. I thought about going EV for my wife's car a couple years back, but decided not to pull the trigger on it yet. I didn't like the cars available and figured we can wait until more chargers become more of a norm.

Probably one day, but not yet.