REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 03-04-2019, 04:54 PM   #1
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Bc hydro/smart meter noon question

Basically I have a property that I rent out to tenants, both upstairs and downstairs.
Theres only 1 BC Hydro meter installed.
As the 2 families are quite different in their usage, I'd like to install something that can track specifically what each of the families are using; as I've been having issues with dividing the bill's during these colder months. (Ones a penny pincher and the other likes it hot)
Is there such devices?
Any pointers are appreciated!
Advertisement
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:54 PM   #2
I STILL don't get it

Are they both on the same breaker panel? I've seen some energy meters that are installed inside the breaker box, like this: https://energycurb.com/about/
LuHua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:27 PM   #3
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

There are separate breaker panels.
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 02:44 PM   #4
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,762 Posts
Yeah what you're looking for are sub-meters.

There are many different types available. The digital style with current transformers that you install on the power feed lines like LuHua linked are going to be easiest to retrofit in.

Here's another one:
https://www.powermeterstore.ca/P1069...r-power-meters
I've ordered from these guys, they're good and based in Alberta.

For most accurate results, install one on each breaker panel.

If you want to cheap out you can install just one, and minus that reading from the BC Hydro meter reading to get the other tenant's panel. The only catch is that it compounds any accuracy errors.

Place I used to rent was a triplex with 3 suites and had the following setup:

BC Hydro Meter went into main breaker panel. Main breaker panel provided feeds to to main floor circuits and 3 submeters with sub breaker panels:
Sub#1: Upstairs Suite
Sub#2: Downstairs Suite
Sub#3: Laundry & Common

Hydro was calculated:
BC Hydro Bill kWh - Upstairs kWh - Downstairs kWh - Laundry kWh = Main suite kWh

Although I found out later when I was troubleshooting a tripped breaker for my suite that some of the common stuff like exterior lighting (on all night) was fed from the main panel which I was paying for.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions

Last edited by Great68; 03-06-2019 at 02:51 PM.
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: