REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-04-2019, 05:56 PM   #1
RS Lurker, I don't post!

red light violation ticket by camera and dispute

Hi guys,

I have been a lurker for quite a while. Need help disputing a red light violation ticket that I received in the mail, the camera caught me on Eastbound SE Marine Drive and Fraser St.

My apologies about the long post!

I have the dashcam footage showing me braking gradually well before the traffic light (I'd say I started braking at the gas price sign at Esso from the footage). I didn't brake hard enough because I had fragile items and a lot of stuff stacked in the back seat and trunk so my front bumper went over the crosswalk line but my car's back bumper was still in the crosswalk. On the picture that I received, my speed before crossing the crosswalk was 28km/h, I had zero intention to run the light

My car's front bumper was positioned like the dump truck in the google map picture. The front did go over the crosswalk line like I mentioned, however I did not block the traffic on Fraser St without backing up. After the pedestrians crossed, I backed up a bit, and the dashcam video showed that the front crosswalk line can still be seen.

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.2110...7i16384!8i8192

This is my first ticket in 15 years of driving. My questions are,

Should I dispute the allegation or the fine portion? I know I will want to attend the court hearing and show my dashcam footage.

Do I must choose one thing (allegation or fine portion) to dispute? And do I must choose one at the ICBC licensing center when I complete the notice of dispute or at the court hearing? I heard from family members that you can choose to dispute both, but the writing on the paperwork says otherwise.

Is it true if I dispute the allegation, and if I lose, I don't get any reductions in fine?

But if I dispute the fine portions, I can have the fine reduced, but not fully waived?

If the police officer doesn't show up in the court hearing in this case, do I win automatically even though my violation was caught by a camera?

How's my chance to win this dispute?

What do you recommend me to say when I attend the hearing?

Thanks so much!
Kyle
Advertisement
SEmarinedrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:31 PM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,823 Times in 3,904 Posts
dispute if you weren't even fully in the intersection
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:38 AM   #3
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

It's the stop line that counts, not the crosswalk lines.
Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote