REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-05-2019, 05:47 PM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Just another new member saying hi...

Hi everyone,

I saw another new member thread so I thought perhaps I should introduce myself as well.

I'm still in high school but will be graduating this year and studying at SFU in the fall. Only became interested in cars not too long ago so I don't know much. Currently driving my mom's 2016 Corolla to and from school and occasionally my dad's 2008 Camry, but I'm also saving up to buy a car of my own.

I'm particularly interested in 80's - 90's Japanese cars (I probably watched too much Initial D), and I've been looking around for S13s, AE86s, Imprezas, Legacy's, Skylines, etc.

Also, I LOVE eurobeat!
Advertisement
evanz.h is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-05-2019, 06:04 PM   #2
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:22 PM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Welcome dude. I too joined RS when I just left high school, you make me feel old lol.

My two cents, unless you're mechanically inclined and willing to spend a considerable amount of time and relatively high amounts of money on maintenance, I'd generally stay away from all of the cars you've listed. At the end of the day, especially if you're planning on buying a JDM vehicle, some of those auction cars can be a headache.

1980-1990 = 30-40 year old cars. Shit will break. I know when I was in my first few years of university I definitely didn't want to risk having my car break down, so I went with more practical (albeit unconventional if anyone remembers ) choices...

Unless you plan on continuing to drive your parents' Toyotas and keeping your car as a weekend car, please for the love of god get something reliable. Not saying any of the cars you've listed above can't be reliable, but given that they're old cars, shit will break.

Wow I feel old.
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-05-2019, 07:26 PM   #4
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanz.h View Post
Hi everyone,

I saw another new member thread so I thought perhaps I should introduce myself as well.

I'm still in high school but will be graduating this year and studying at SFU in the fall. Only became interested in cars not too long ago so I don't know much. Currently driving my mom's 2016 Corolla to and from school and occasionally my dad's 2008 Camry, but I'm also saving up to buy a car of my own.

I'm particularly interested in 80's - 90's Japanese cars (I probably watched too much Initial D), and I've been looking around for S13s, AE86s, Imprezas, Legacy's, Skylines, etc.

Also, I LOVE eurobeat!
Oh wow, serious question here, is Initial D still a thing amongst the high school folks nowadays? I remember it being popular decades ago when I was a young car guy, but somehow it makes me kind of happy (nostalgic?) if the current generation of youth are getting in to it too.

*Eurobeat intensifies*

All we know is, I'm called The Stig
TheStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
Oh wow, serious question here, is Initial D still a thing amongst the high school folks nowadays? I remember it being popular decades ago when I was a young car guy, but somehow it makes me kind of happy (nostalgic?) if the current generation of youth are getting in to it too.

*Eurobeat intensifies*
They did recently make 3 animated movie adaptations, basically telling the whole story again albeit super condensed. Also the Drift Hunter Albo guy keeps posting videos about Initial D references in Japan. I guess there's still an audience?
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Old 05-05-2019, 08:29 PM   #6
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Welcome. I joined here when I was in high school.

I am happy to hear that there are still HS kids interested in cars.

Ahhh I remember paying 65.5 cents per liter in high school for gas. Now you're lucky for 1.65.5
mr00jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-05-2019, 08:32 PM   #7
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akinari View Post
Welcome dude. I too joined RS when I just left high school, you make me feel old lol.

My two cents, unless you're mechanically inclined and willing to spend a considerable amount of time and relatively high amounts of money on maintenance, I'd generally stay away from all of the cars you've listed. At the end of the day, especially if you're planning on buying a JDM vehicle, some of those auction cars can be a headache.

1980-1990 = 30-40 year old cars. Shit will break. I know when I was in my first few years of university I definitely didn't want to risk having my car break down, so I went with more practical (albeit unconventional if anyone remembers ) choices...

Unless you plan on continuing to drive your parents' Toyotas and keeping your car as a weekend car, please for the love of god get something reliable. Not saying any of the cars you've listed above can't be reliable, but given that they're old cars, shit will break.

Wow I feel old.
Thanks for the welcome. Yeah I know they will most likely not be very reliable, but I will be living at home and can always take the bus if I have to. So it wouldn't be the end of the world if my car is temporarily out of service. Though I did consider getting a Honda Civic or Prelude which would probably be more reliable, but I would much prefer RWD or AWD over FWD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post

*Eurobeat intensifies*
No it's not very popular anymore. Most people only know the Deja Vu meme. I don't exactly remember how I got into it, but it was probably because I wanted to understand the context of the memes. And then I got hooked after First Stage haha.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:36 PM   #8
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr00jimbo View Post
Welcome. I joined here when I was in high school.

I am happy to hear that there are still HS kids interested in cars.

Ahhh I remember paying 65.5 cents per liter in high school for gas. Now you're lucky for 1.65.5
Thanks. Yeah one of my dilemmas is that most of the cars I'm into aren't exactly cheap on gas (save the AE86), and on top of that some of them need high octane.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:36 PM   #9

Quote:
can always take the bus if I have to.
I didn't go to SFU, but I did take the bus to SFU once. That experience was basically the equivalent of the end of the world.

Old 05-06-2019, 05:12 PM   #10

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,518 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. Yeah one of my dilemmas is that most of the cars I'm into aren't exactly cheap on gas (save the AE86), and on top of that some of them need high octane.

Get a Nexus card and 3 jerry cans LOL

$1.40 for 92 Octane in the states
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:12 PM   #11
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
I didn't go to SFU, but I did take the bus to SFU once. That experience was basically the equivalent of the end of the world.
SFU Burnaby would be quite the bus ride, but most if not all of my classes should be at the Surrey campus which is a single 30 min bus ride from where I live.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:13 PM   #12
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
Get a Nexus card and 3 jerry cans LOL

$1.40 for 92 Octane in the states
Dad's been doing that for the past few years. I'll probably do the same haha
Old 05-06-2019, 05:30 PM   #13
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,666 Times in 3,114 Posts
Didn't that dude who exploded in peace arch recently carried a bunch of Jerry cans.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:54 PM   #14
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
holy cow. highschool.

what are highschool kids into now a days?

+ welcome!

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:11 PM   #15
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
They did recently make 3 animated movie adaptations, basically telling the whole story again albeit super condensed. Also the Drift Hunter Albo guy keeps posting videos about Initial D references in Japan. I guess there's still an audience?
Oh no way, didn't know that! I'll have to track them down and have a look!

All we know is, I'm called The Stig
TheStig is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-06-2019, 10:15 PM   #16
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,819 Times in 3,901 Posts
you were born 15 years too late
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:18 PM   #17
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Didn't that dude who exploded in peace arch recently carried a bunch of Jerry cans.
Nah, it happened on the Canadian side, heading to the States. If Jerry cans were involved, it would have been empty cans.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-06-2019, 11:59 PM   #18
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,191 Times in 481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Nah, it happened on the Canadian side, heading to the States. If Jerry cans were involved, it would have been empty cans.
Vancouver Sun reports it differently
Quote:
Shannon Miller, who speaks for B.C. Emergency Health services, said the vehicles crashed in the northbound lanes on the Canadian side of the border but they had not yet reached the Canada Border Services Agency inspection booths.
Sauce:https://www.google.com/amp/s/vancouv...r-crossing/amp
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2019, 08:58 AM   #19

Thanked 4,066 Times in 1,252 Posts
SFU SUCKS BALLS

#RSFU

REMEMBER TO GET YOUR G LOT PARKING PASS :TROLL:

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2019, 11:02 AM   #20

psshhh i went to sfu and i never paid for parking. I got 4 tickets and then changed my license plate, then got 4 more tickets and changed it again. FUCK YOU! Shitty Fuckers University.
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-08-2019, 05:26 AM   #21

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
psshhh i went to sfu and i never paid for parking. I got 4 tickets and then changed my license plate, then got 4 more tickets and changed it again. FUCK YOU! Shitty Fuckers University.

They started to tow on first ticket and lock the wheels rip
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:00 AM   #22

thats probably cuz me and my buddies ruined it for all the new kids hahaha. They werent that smart back in 2002-2006 lawl.

It pisses me off how they were using our tuition monies to build those apartments and townhouses and then sell it back to the students. All the while calling us grads with sob stories (usually some poor undergraduate shmuck whos trying to get extra credits) and wanting us to donate money to the university.

Yeah i get it, they run it like a buisness. You'd think a university would be more focused on providing a better education instead of pandering to line their own pockets.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:41 AM   #23
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,632 Posts
welcome! I still daily my 1990 Civic Si

it's great to see a new generation of kids into cars. we feel like a dying breed around these parts.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2019, 09:41 AM   #24
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the welcome. Yeah I know they will most likely not be very reliable, but I will be living at home and can always take the bus if I have to. So it wouldn't be the end of the world if my car is temporarily out of service. Though I did consider getting a Honda Civic or Prelude which would probably be more reliable, but I would much prefer RWD or AWD over FWD.
Also think about who will be fixing it when it breaks. If you're used to working on cars and already have tools available it's not too bad, but if you're paying a shop to fix it things get very expensive very fast when shop rates are $150/hr.

Either way you're best off getting a FWD Honda or Toyota that's cheap to run and easy to work on. That way you can learn a lot without spending much. If you're just driving around town which wheels are the drive wheels doesn't matter. If you want to do any sort of performance driving you're best off starting with AutoX in which case a cheap Honda or Miata is your best bet.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:41 AM   #25
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,172 Times in 2,405 Posts
Quote:
SFU Burnaby would be quite the bus ride, but most if not all of my classes should be at the Surrey campus which is a single 30 min bus ride from where I live.
Back in my day I would bus-skytrain-bus from Richmond to SFU Burnaby 3-4 days a week
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote