REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-11-2019, 12:25 PM   #26
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,776 Times in 3,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post
no one is suggesting a phone is more valuable than a baby.
Exactly. I can get 4, maybe 5 iPhone X for one average baby on the black market
Advertisement

Last edited by 320icar; 05-11-2019 at 12:51 PM.
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-11-2019, 12:57 PM   #27
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post
Lots of judgement and assumptions in this thread. The cellphone is something you are accustomed to having on you at all times, a baby is not. Simple as that, nobody is suggesting a phone is more valuable than a baby.
Judgement that is entirely justified.

The fact that the media and people alike are suggesting that parents place objects that they deem important to their every day life in the back seat (wallet, keys, phone, etc) as a reminder that their small child is in the back is absolutely ludicrous.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 01:08 PM   #28
I subscribe to Revscene

A lot of non-parents here.
akira112 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2019, 01:18 PM   #29
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,050 Times in 1,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akira112 View Post
A lot of non-parents here.
Lot of judgment and assumption right there.

Maybe the only explanation that would absolve parents is if they did not know and it was the nanny or something. But that just transfers the disgust to whoever it was that was so stupid and negligent.

Last edited by whitev70r; 05-11-2019 at 01:26 PM.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 01:20 PM   #30
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,403 Times in 5,675 Posts
Gotta be a parent to understand dat killing a baby via overheating is bad
Old 05-11-2019, 04:12 PM   #31
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

At the end of the day, it is the parents who lost a child and not us. Us pointing fingers and making assumptions isn't going to be any where near the world of hurt they are going thru. Unless it was intentional, no punishment given to them will be equal to their loss. RIP little one.
NKC ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2019, 05:44 PM   #32
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,826 Times in 3,906 Posts
other than minding the guilt, why shouldn't the community be outraged?

someone was negligent resulting in the death of a toddler

should we also be empathetic for people who leave their dogs to die of heat exhaustion?

damn, a lot of non pet-owners in here
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2019, 06:06 PM   #33
HELP ME PLS!!!

should've gotten a Santa Fe, relevant commercial!

but on a serious note, poor kid
Last edited by sexyaccord on 69-69-6969 at 69:69 PM
sexyaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:23 PM   #34
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,184 Times in 967 Posts
Every time this happens the pitchforks come out for the parents and while there are definitely cases of parents deliberately leaving their children in their cars there are plenty of cases where it's not negligence. Each year about 37 kids die in these circumstances (https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/03/healt...rnd/index.html) - this isn't new and the Washington Post won a Pulitzer for their story on understanding why it happens (https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.85b22f010342)

This is really sad stuff but I think it's hard to be outraged after you get educated on the circumstances behind how it happens.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2019, 09:41 PM   #35
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,403 Times in 5,675 Posts
37 kids in 2 countries that have almost 400 million people :/

Tbh I installed services for a couple junkies with a few kids and a baby who fits this age range who live very close to this location and I was concerned it was them tbh..
Old 05-11-2019, 10:35 PM   #36
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,826 Times in 3,906 Posts
and the 29yo old who blew a stop sign and killed a bunch of young hockey players was an honest mistake too (not DUI or distracted by a phone)

was that not negligence? you don't think he's scarred for life and will live every day with guilt?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-12-2019, 12:49 PM   #37
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
and the 29yo old who blew a stop sign and killed a bunch of young hockey players was an honest mistake too (not DUI or distracted by a phone)

was that not negligence? you don't think he's scarred for life and will live every day with guilt?
Exactly.

Nothing stopped some of the very same people in here from saying he should be burned at the cross.

But now that it is a parent, and their own toddler all of a sudden I should feel sympathy for the parents? Nah, im cool. They were ignorant, and an innocent child they didn't deserve suffered. So yeah you can lock the parents up and throw the key away.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 01:16 PM   #38
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,303 Times in 1,980 Posts
"Alexa, is there a child in my backseat?"

We'll be getting to this point soon...

--

Also, it's doubtful we'll know the identities of the parents but to observe them for five minutes should be indicative enough for us to know if they are already serving a life term...of guilt and regret. The type of guilt that will erode their bodies from the inside out. They will stew in their own suffering.

But who knows. The child was taken far too soon and under stupid circumstances. I always do a 360 of my car after I park it and return to it and I don't even have children.

Oh shit, I don't have children. Disregard EVERYTHING I just said.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-12-2019, 02:40 PM   #39
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,765 Times in 706 Posts
This is the definition of a tragedy =(

Regardless of the reason or your opinion, this is so sad.
PeanutButter is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2019, 05:49 PM   #40
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
you know leaving your kids in the back seat has gotten bad when my 2018 truck has a feature "rear seat reminder" that i assume will ding at you a bunch and give a message on the dash saying to check the rear seat when you turn it off...

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:47 PM   #41

Thanked 2,184 Times in 967 Posts
https://twitter.com/schmangee/status...420294656?s=21 - cue the outrage!
Old 05-14-2019, 05:49 PM   #42
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,528 Times in 4,912 Posts
Any updates?
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:53 AM   #43
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

how the fuck can you not notice your 1 year old is missing for over 9 hours..........
Old 05-21-2019, 09:08 AM   #44

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
I was listening to Charles Adler on the way home from Vernon last night and he was discussing these cases. Some points he made:

- These cases took a sharp increase in the 90's. This is when child seats were moved to the back seat due to the inclusion of air bags. Then it was recommended to have them rear-facing. This makes it difficult to even see your child without more than a glance.

- over 40% of cases in North America have no charges pressed against the parent because of it being considered a tragic accident and the loss of the child being a lifetime of punishment.

- People of all walks of life, incomes, professions, the absentminded, the meticulous, the most loving/caring, etc are susceptible to this phenomenon.

My parent's old car used to have a chunk of the dashboard missing right in the middle because they mounted my child seat rear facing in the front middle of the bench seat. As I got older, we used to point at that missing chunk and laugh at how unsafe that was in light of more modern safety regulations. You should see some of the early child seat designs, especially in the pre-seatbelt days.

I know with my son's first daycare, after they mixed up the days I had booked off, they called by 10:30 asking if he was still coming in or not. That is over 2.5 hour from when he would have been dropped off until I was notified by them that he was not there yet. On a hot day, 2.5 hours is more than enough time to make a car interior fatal. He was of course safe on vacation with me. But at least there was a check.

Keeping attendance records and knowing the whereabouts of a child should be one of a daycare's highest priorities. Not only for the purposes of child care, but from a business perspective so they can get paid and to know how many staff are required for the day. I have to wonder why the daycare in a lot of these cases was not prompted to call the parents when the child had not shown up for the scheduled time. Perhaps they too should face consequences for not doing their due diligence.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:23 AM   #45
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,587 Times in 4,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post

Keeping attendance records and knowing the whereabouts of a child should be one of a daycare's highest priorities. Not only for the purposes of child care, but from a business perspective so they can get paid and to know how many staff are required for the day. I have to wonder why the daycare in a lot of these cases was not prompted to call the parents when the child had not shown up for the scheduled time. Perhaps they too should face consequences for not doing their due diligence.

How many daycares do you know, that charge by the day? Why would it be their responsibility, for a child that's not old enough to get there on their own? They have enough to worry about.

It's the parents fault, pure and simple.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-21-2019, 11:05 AM   #46

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
How many daycares do you know, that charge by the day? Why would it be their responsibility, for a child that's not old enough to get there on their own? They have enough to worry about.

It's the parents fault, pure and simple.
Are you referring to drop-in daycares? I have no experience with them and wasn't speaking of them as I never really considered them to be an option for someone working an 8 hour day. I'm discussing long term daycare services: where there is a long wait list to get in, where the child is expected to be dropped off and picked up at certain times on certain days, where prior notice is required when there is a change in plans, where parent's must call by a certain time to let the daycare know they aren't coming and staff would call the parents to find out what is going on should that call not come, where parent's must notify staff when someone other than themselves is going to be picking up the child, etc. I would indeed be concerned in the practices of a daycare if they didn't inquire to my son's whereabouts if he was expected to be in their care that day.

One of the stories Charles Adler mentioned had a parent get into their vehicle after work and drive to the daycare expecting to pick up their kid, only to learn the kid was still in his rear-facing car seat and dead. How many of these deaths, where the child was expected to go to a daycare, could have been prevented if staff had made a call to a parent?

Last edited by Bouncing Bettys; 05-21-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Bouncing Bettys is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-21-2019, 01:07 PM   #47
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,855 Times in 1,785 Posts
Agreed, it's just good practice by the daycares.
It goes beyond kids being left in cars, it also covers parental kidnapping situations etc.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-21-2019, 01:56 PM   #48
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,765 Times in 706 Posts
I think it's reasonable for any service industry where they are expecting people/persons to inquire about whereabouts.

ie. I was running late to a massage appointment and got a call from the reception asking where I was.
At school if my cousin didn't show up, there would be a call to the parents.

I would expect the same thing at a day care. Though, I feel calling is more of a systematic thing for a business and not necessarily warranted.

I can see this being less likely if people are on a monthly prepayment option. In that case, why would the establishment care if you showed up or not. The fact that you paid gives the business less of an incentive to inquire about participants.
PeanutButter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:44 PM   #49

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
I was listening to Charles Adler on the way home from Vernon last night and he was discussing these cases. Some points he made:
ot but charles adler is legit
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 01:11 PM   #50
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

i suggest those quick to criticize or judge smugly ('it could never happen to me', or 'jail the motherfuckers')
to first google search 'forgotten baby syndrome' and then second,
(this is a must) read the many heartbreaking stories with an open mind..
here i'll make it easier: have a look and read ,scrolling right down the many titles
it's an eye opener for sure:
https://www.google.com/search?q=forg...hrome&ie=UTF-8

it was an eyeopener for me when i first started, as i was like many, with the fire torch at hand to condemn them quickly.
some parents involved were lucky and came away shaken but aware with their kid still alive,
while others sadly were not and paid for it with a lifetime of PTSD, shame, guilt and depression etc.

Seems that there is a scientific reason as to what and why this horrible experience can occur
(not excusing it, but just to be more vigilante and warn others esp parents of newborns)...
even simply putting your cell/wallet in back seat beside your kid, or something you know you can't leave the car without can be
an effective strategy to avoid this potenitial life changing experience of endless heartbreak.

Last edited by canali; 06-01-2019 at 01:35 PM.
canali is offline   Reply With Quote