REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 05-16-2019, 02:50 PM   #1
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Possibly cheaped out builder/reno jobs

I hope I am wrong, but I noticed a couple of things to watch out for

I noticed from pictures, a good number of "newly renovated" seem to have laminated/wooden floors spanning from living room through the kitchen instead of tile at kitchen area.

New west coast style homes - what is the deal with asphalt roof rather than tile? Tile is supposed to be better suited for rainy Vancouver climate, and double the lifespan of asphalt. And another big obvious flaw I see is flat roof - potential pooling rain water unless the new flat roofs technology have improved over the years.
Advertisement
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:59 PM   #2
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,923 Times in 3,876 Posts
Why do kitchens have to have tile?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:22 PM   #3
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,337 Times in 5,647 Posts
Hardwood/laminate throughout is more of a trend than a problem imo. We were considering tile in our kitchen but we could not find anything we liked so we will be running engineered throughout our entire main floor including the kitchen and laundry.

If your kitchen pipes burst your shits gonna be fucked whether it’s tile of laminate. What we are doing is gluing the tongues on our floor in the entry and kitchen to hopefully prevent what little water ingress we hope happens.

The tile question is a simple economics one. Asphalt shingles are easy to install, easy to repair, and inexpensive.

No builder is going to spend 2-3 times the amount of a duroid based asphalt shingle on a tile roof when they won’t recoop the build cost in the sale.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:48 PM   #4
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

We currently have laminate in our kitchen. We need to be super cautious with wet moping as it is not recommended by the developer. Using those steam mop and spinning mop is also out of the question. With laminate in kitchen, it's prone to oil splatter and grease on floor. This is where my problem comes in. Sure I can get a mat, but wife doesn't like it
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:03 PM   #5

Thing is, laminate is just pressed saw dust essentially. cheaper laminate can swell and contract based on the interior humidity alone, let alone spilling water on it.

With higher quality products like engineered flooring etc depending on the type, you are more subject to what that particular type of wood does when wet as opposed to the press board laminate.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:29 PM   #6
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,064 Times in 1,183 Posts
I have an open layout on the main floor, where the living/dining/kitchen are all connected. There’s no logical division where you’d stop the laminate and start the tile; it would look odd if there was a sudden transition. However, I have a separate grease kitchen which is tiled.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:48 AM   #7
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
What are your thoughts on vinyl plank, throughout the main floor, including the kitchen?

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
What are your thoughts on vinyl plank, throughout the main floor, including the kitchen?
Vinyl can pretty much take anything I think because there’s no actual wood to swell when wet?

Your sub floor would be the problem in those cases when spilling water
Old 05-17-2019, 10:25 AM   #9
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Yeah, no absorption and the joints seem to seal well. Minimal expansion/contraction on floating installation. I'm considering it for my next place. There's a 4' crawlspace under the main floor, so I'm considering a poly layer under the kitchen. Or use up a bunch of random red/blue guard, I have, kicking around.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:48 AM   #10
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,923 Times in 3,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomes View Post
We currently have laminate in our kitchen. We need to be super cautious with wet moping as it is not recommended by the developer. Using those steam mop and spinning mop is also out of the question.
That's not unique to the kitchen though. If you're worried about the kitchen (and have the storage space) what I did was buy enough extra material to do the kitchen area again. That way I don't have to worry about trying to match a discontinued product or different batches looking different should anything happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Vinyl can pretty much take anything I think because there’s no actual wood to swell when wet?

Your sub floor would be the problem in those cases when spilling water
We've got vinyl plank in all the bathrooms, it's made from plastic and seals together extremely tightly. Being relatively thin and plastic it's super easy to install with just a straight edge and a box cutter (just score and snap). Also very little mess so you can just cut it indoors which I would imagine is super handy for people in apartments.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:40 PM   #11
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomes View Post
We currently have laminate in our kitchen. We need to be super cautious with wet moping as it is not recommended by the developer. Using those steam mop and spinning mop is also out of the question. With laminate in kitchen, it's prone to oil splatter and grease on floor. This is where my problem comes in. Sure I can get a mat, but wife doesn't like it
I use steam mop on my laminate flooring and it seems fine. There are different levels of steam and I just use the lowest settings. The floor will be dry within 5mins or so.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote