REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-25-2019, 12:39 PM   #1
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

ICBC CRS levels - how long till it goes up?

Hi all, I'm wondering if you guys can help me clarify a few things in regards to the ICBC CRS levels..
Long story short, in November of last year I was parking (in a very tight spot and I had a big suv) and I accidentally scratched my neighbours door. I offered to pay for it out of pocket since the damage was very minor and it would have been easier and cheaper to settle privately. My asshole neighbours decided to go through ICBC. They took it to a express shop which quoted them approx $1200 for the repair. ICBC told me that they would send me a letter. I could either pay for the repair out of pocket or it would affect my premiums. I never got that letter but now I have received my insurance renewal letter and I can see that I'm now at 35% discount rate from the 43% I was at before.
I'm not exactly sure at which level I was before, but I could see that on my other vehicle I have -11 and on the renewal letter I'm now at -7... at least for this vehicle. If I understand it correctly, it moved down 4 steps..
I'm wondering how long would it take for it to go back up to the 43% rate? Also what would you guys do in this situation? contact ICBC and pay for the repairs or just pay the discounted rate they're giving me?
TIA!

This is the chart I was using:
https://www.icbc.com/autoplan/costs/Documents/crs.pdf
Advertisement
asma123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 12:51 PM   #2
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Phone Icbc pay for the repairs
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2019, 02:07 PM   #3
Old School RS

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,202 Posts
You get 1 step discount per year. So 4 years to get back to where you were.

-Mark
Old 05-25-2019, 02:20 PM   #4
I STILL don't get it

Didn't they change the laws so that once you cause an accident you can't pay them out to keep your discount high? I am pretty sure they changed the laws so there is accountability now.
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 02:21 PM   #5
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,694 Times in 1,625 Posts
Usually you get your insurance renewal letter ~1.5 months before actual expiry, so you can still call and pay it so your premiums aren't affected.

You can go to any Autoplan and they'll help you calculate which is cheaper in the long run. Mind you premiums are constantly increasing, but they won't be able to factor that in, but it should give you an indication. If you can afford to, it's almost always better to just pay the $1200, so you can keep your discount for a 'larger' accident in the future.

Also, your neighbour isn't really an asshole, it's to both of your benefits that you go through ICBC...if he really were an asshole he'd take your money, and then claim it anyway. It's not like he owes you any favours for owning up to your mistake.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2019, 02:32 PM   #6
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,694 Times in 1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prudz View Post
Didn't they change the laws so that once you cause an accident you can't pay them out to keep your discount high? I am pretty sure they changed the laws so there is accountability now.
They intend to, but it's not yet.

https://www.icbc.com/autoplan/costs/...nce-costs.aspx

Quote:
Under the new system, we’re also changing the rules around repaying a claim.

Currently, if you’re at-fault in a minor crash, it may make financial sense to repay the claim in order to preserve your insurance discount. However, this allows some drivers to mask the true risk they represent.

So, starting September 1, 2019, only claims less than $2,000 can be repaid.

However, customers have until August 31, 2020, to decide whether to repay a previous claim (claims between March 1, 2017 and August 31, 2019), even if it has already affected their premium and regardless of the cost of the claim. This helps ensure you have enough information and time to make an informed decision about whether to repay a claim or not and how it will affect your insurance costs.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2019, 03:54 PM   #7
private modder

Thanked 2,650 Times in 740 Posts
You moved down 4 steps. After each year without an at-fault claim, you move back up one step. After 3 years without an at-fault claim, you jump back to where you were before the initial claim happened.

But in September, this whole system is being scrapped for a new one, so just keep that in mind.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:45 PM   #8
I'm invisible

The CRS system is being scrapped however claims will affect you even more in the new world..

There will be a transition period for about a year from old to new.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:10 PM   #9
I don't get it

As we slowly start creeping away from the ownership model to only being able to afford the rental model.
Robots>Human
Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by: