REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-06-2019, 03:11 PM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Distracted and impaired drivers to be hit hard by ICBC optional insurance changes

Quote:
Distracted and impaired drivers to be hit hard by ICBC optional insurance changes
By Richard Zussman
Online Journalist based at B.C. Legislature
Global News

ICBC will be cracking down on impaired and distracted drivers under new optional insurance changes introduced on Thursday.

Starting Monday, any serious driving conviction will lead to a substantial increase to ICBC optional insurance rates. Those rate increases will come on September 1 even though the convictions could have happened months earlier.

“Using driving convictions to price optional insurance is long overdue,” ICBC President Nicolas Jimenez said. ‘It’s an important change that will benefit the vast majority of British Columbians, and is part of a series of changes we’re making to evolve B.C.’s insurance system so that it works for our province.

“This will make sure that higher-risk drivers are held accountable for their decisions by providing a financial incentive for them to improve their driving.”

The changes are part of a massive overhaul at the public insurer that includes moving to a basic insurance model that is more driver-based. This means crashes follow the driver, not the vehicle, to ensure drivers are more accountable for their behaviour on the road.

The province is anticipating that approximately three-quarters of ICBC’s customers will either pay the same or less under the new system.

The optional insurance rate changes can potentially have a substantial impact on premiums. The premiums will escalate in line with the frequency and seriousness of the convictions.

The province competes on the optional insurance side but often offers less expensive rates than private companies. ICBC has a monopoly on basic insurance in B.C.

The public insurer says it will not factor in any serious driving convictions prior to June 10, 2019 as part of the new optional insurance rate changes as it did not want to penalize drivers for something they were unaware of and ensure drivers have a “clean slate.”

ICBC will ultimately scan back over a three-year period for driving convictions by June 10, 2022.

“Today, about 10 per cent of ICBC’s optional customers have a record of multiple or serious driving convictions, yet pay the same optional premium as a customer with no convictions — this isn’t right,” Attorney General David Eby said.

“Many auto insurers – and certainly private insurers – already use driving convictions as a factor in pricing their premiums, so I applaud ICBC’s move to ensure those who are higher-risk are no longer being subsidized by the overwhelming majority of lower-risk drivers.”

Serious driving convictions such as Criminal Code offences, impaired driving, excessive speeding and distracted driving, will result in increased premiums after the first conviction.

Minor offences such as speeding, failing to stop or yield, and not wearing a seatbelt will only result in increased premiums if there are two or more convictions during the scan period.

During the government’s 2018 public engagement on changes to ICBC’s rate model, the majority of respondents agreed that drivers with serious or multiple minor driving convictions should pay higher premiums.

The public insurer has lost more than $2 billion over the last two years. The hemorrhaging of cash at ICBC comes as the cost of claims – particularly litigated injury claims – continues to escalate.

In April, the province brought in sweeping changes to change settlement payouts for what they describe as soft-tissue injuries. The B.C. Trial Lawyers Association is taking the province to court over the changes. The province is forecasting the changes will save more than $1 billion a year.
I hope ICBC will recognize that some people change their driving habits for the better as they get older. I'd be ok with this as long as those high premiums were gradually reduced with years of no at-fault accidents or infractions.
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2019, 05:08 PM   #2
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
Headline left out excessive speeding

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:41 AM   #3

Thanked 2,907 Times in 754 Posts
i'm going to be the first but not the last to admit i do speed .. along most major arteries... might even exceed 10-20km/hr over the limit... but u know what.. i'm going to stop cursing that corolla in front doing the limit as they may save me alot of money. no more speeding for me... i'm gonna stick to the limits.. u got a problem with that..? pass me or tailgate me.. i wont care.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:46 AM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,733 Times in 954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post
i'm going to be the first but not the last to admit i do speed ..
Whoa
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
Whoa
yup..ima rebranding my driving !
Old 06-07-2019, 08:57 AM   #6
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post
pass me or tailgate me.. i wont care.

Sure, but get the fuck out of the left lane then. Drive slow all you want, but don't block traffic. It's a pretty good way to piss everyone off and in turn, incite dangerous driving/passing.
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2019, 09:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
Sure, but get the fuck out of the left lane then. Drive slow all you want, but don't block traffic. It's a pretty good way to piss everyone off and in turn, incite dangerous driving/passing.
of course...common sense will prevail... experienced drivers like me will know but you find the same assholes in the slow lane too nowadays..especially those with the N.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2019, 09:59 AM   #8
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
When they talk about savings for good drivers, I have a bad feeling it will be something like, "Congrats good drivers, your insurance costs only go up 9% this year".
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:05 AM   #9
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASA View Post
When they talk about savings for good drivers, I have a bad feeling it will be something like, "Congrats good drivers, your insurance costs only go up 9% this year".
Exactly. Everyone gets hits hard no matter what. Not everyone drives a collector car less than 5,000kms per year and works from home. Any mistakes and you're done (financially).
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:21 AM   #10
private modder

Thanked 2,645 Times in 739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASA View Post
yes exactly, I have noticed they keep saying good drivers will pay "relatively" less under the new system. bunch of crooks.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote