REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Vote!!! End the useless daylight savings. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716233-vote-end-useless-daylight-savings.html)

Badhobz 06-25-2019 09:09 PM

Vote!!! End the useless daylight savings.

https://engage.gov.bc.ca/daylightsavingtime/

For or against. Speak up and fillout that survey.

PeanutButter 06-25-2019 09:30 PM

I like DST.

Makes sense to me.

Jmac 06-25-2019 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badhobz (Post 8951928)
https://engage.gov.bc.ca/daylightsavingtime/

For or against. Speak up and fillout that survey.

Ummm, this is a survey to enact PERMANENT daylight savings, not end it ...

I'd rather permanent standard time otherwise all my sun dials are going to be off by an hour ...

danned 06-25-2019 09:41 PM

https://i.ibb.co/QD7wqKQ/download.jpg

HonestTea 06-25-2019 09:44 PM

We should follow what Washington, Oregon and California does.

Hehe 06-25-2019 09:54 PM

I want to stay in a permanent standard time instead of permanent DST.

I couldn't care less about the early morning. Sun rise at 5 or 6 is irrelevant. All I know is that by the time I wake up, it's day.

But I absolutely hate that we still have light at 10PM. As a parent, it's so darn hard sometimes to get kids to go to bed at 9 when it's still bright as fuck outside. If we switch to ST, the 9PM to get kids to bed would be like 10PM now when it's at least getting dark.

whitev70r 06-25-2019 10:32 PM

^ If that is sole reason, you'll grow out of it in a few years. Singles, parents of adult children, retired folks love the extra hour of sunlight in the summer to do outdoor stuff.

meme405 06-25-2019 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hehe (Post 8951936)
But I absolutely hate that we still have light at 10PM. As a parent, it's so darn hard sometimes to get kids to go to bed at 9 when it's still bright as fuck outside. If we switch to ST, the 9PM to get kids to bed would be like 10PM now when it's at least getting dark.

That's pretty short sighted. In 2 years you wont be able to get your kids to sleep at 9 even if you chain them to the bed, so make a decision based on something other than the exact present moment frustration you are feeling.

Springing forward and backward constantly makes no sense, and it's irritating and if everyone just stopped doing it, it would be great. Saskatchewan was ahead of all of us.

twitchyzero 06-25-2019 10:44 PM

vancouver is already miserable af in the winter, why not keep it permanent PST instead so there's at least a hint of sunlight @ 7am?

i have to get up 530 so makes no difference to me

AzNightmare 06-25-2019 11:52 PM

I never knew this was such a big deal. My common activities don't really rely much on daylight.

I guess I really need to get out more, literally.

StylinRed 06-26-2019 04:26 AM

I love it bright later in the day (10pm) it makes no sense to me thst businesses don't really take advantage of this though

Badhobz 06-26-2019 06:32 AM

i just wanna stop switching clocks.

Great68 06-26-2019 10:29 AM

Year round DST would be awesome. I'm always doing stuff outside until late at night, so the more light the better. I love the 9:30pm sunsets.
Plus it would mean sunsets at 5:30 instead of 4:30 in the dead of winter, which means that I can actually walk home in some daylight.

Hondaracer 06-26-2019 10:41 AM

Dgaf about your kids. Gimmie dat later light

Raid3n 06-26-2019 03:10 PM

yeah, idgaf about someone not being able to get their kid to go to sleep at 9pm..

your kid doesn't give a flying fuck at a donut about the clock.

i love the sun being up later at night in the summer. more time to work on the car and more light for fishing :D

and also i despise having to change my clock and having it fuck with my sleep.

CCA-Dave 06-26-2019 03:49 PM

Invest in some tinfoil for your kids bedroom windows for the 3 years they are too young to fall asleep without pitch black. Give the extra evening light for the rest of us!

LOVE the long evenings, and could never understand why we still have standard time during our dreary winters. Give me just a little more light to enjoy the day.

GabAlmighty 06-26-2019 04:32 PM

Quote:

I couldn't care less about the early morning. Sun rise at 5 or 6 is irrelevant. All I know is that by the time I wake up, it's day.

Jesus... As everyone else has said, think about it a bit and don't be reactionary.

I went flying overnight last night and it was light out the entire time.

MG1 06-26-2019 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badhobz (Post 8951950)
i just wanna stop switching clocks.

So you have a clock for one half of the year and another one for the other half? Bring one out and put the other away?

Now that.................... is cool.

Hee hee......... just yankin' your chain.

Badhobz 06-26-2019 05:23 PM

I hate adjusting the clock on my stove. You gotta hold it down for like an eternity just to start the minute hand, and then after what seems like 2 fucking hours, it'll finally get to the hour hand

MG1 06-26-2019 05:34 PM

Any hour I gain is spent changing the time on all the fucking clocks and shit around the house, cars, etc.

Thankfully tech like laptops, cell phones and shit auto change........... my dashcams should, but they have issues. The non-GPS ones, anyway.

Clocks are so important in places like the rape dungeon. No windows and it's always dark. Can't tell if it's day or night, gulolol.

Badhobz 06-26-2019 05:38 PM

Eruhhh i just noticed the survey is fully unregistered. You can submit as many of those as you want to lopsided the results.

Rallydrv 06-26-2019 05:48 PM

Fu guys. My car already has DST switching programmed into it. Now I have to pay to get it reprogrammed if this changes anything.

I'll just belive whatever time my car tells me

Hehe 06-27-2019 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabAlmighty (Post 8951995)
Jesus... As everyone else has said, think about it a bit and don't be reactionary.

I went flying overnight last night and it was light out the entire time.

I'm saying this because DST has negative consequences while ST has none.

Wait until you guys have kids and get back to me on this topic. Let them sleep the same 12-2AM like you usually do and see what happens.

It's not about difficulty getting them to bed. They just hop on bed, I kiss them and away I go. But all that sunlights, with blind or not has an effect on their bodies and they can't sleep. Because right before they went to bed, they were outside soaking full sun.

But putting everything aside, I fail to see how moving an hour ahead makes life better? If that's the case... why not make it 2 or even 3 hours ahead? So we'd have 10:30PM-11:30 sunsets in summer and 6:30-7:30PM in winter. Wouldn't that be awesome???

Fuck no....

It might be great for a while, but after a few times it's indifferent. And we already have a natural changing process for that. It's called SEASONS. No need to artificially create them.

whitev70r 06-27-2019 07:21 AM

^
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
— ABRAHAM LINCOLN.

underscore 06-27-2019 08:05 AM

Quote:

For me it's the opposite, the more daylight I can have to do stuff outside after my kid is in bed the better. We totally blacked out her room with blackout curtains + garbage bags on the windows so it's all the same to her no matter what time it is. Young kids usually go to bed early enough that it's still light out no matter what in the summer, 9pm seems really late for little kids.

Not to mention driving home in the pitch black in the winter is so damn depressing.