REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:03 AM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Investment Advisors

How do you guys manage your investments? Do you guys just do it on your own online these days? Or have a banking advisor give you guys some advice/opinion?

I used to have a really good personal banking advisor that would follow up with me time to time about my investments etc. But the person transitioned to commercial banking now and then I got introduced to this useless fuck that doesn't even follow up with my investments that have matured.

I'm trying to find a new advisor at the moment at BMO.
Advertisement
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:11 AM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,421 Times in 918 Posts
Passive investing through ETFs. You can buy them through any bank/brokerage online. It's the best risk-adjusted return for the average investor.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]

Last edited by Gerbs; 07-16-2019 at 09:19 AM.
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:41 AM   #3
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
just depends on what you're looking for..
if you're looking to mostly follow the market, then just manage your own etf portfolio like most people are doing these days. lower fees and you can control your broad exposure however you like.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:14 AM   #4
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,518 Posts
Like Unit said, it depends. If you're willing to do high risk, high return, you can look into private placements. Typically the people who know of private placements are brokers/advisors who are not with a bank.

For me, I don't actually have any investments through the bank. My financial advisor at an independent brokerage manages all my long term plays. This financial advisor also advises me on private placements that I am interested in.

Private placements are usually private funding for private companies. For example, when Canopy was still a private company, they did a placement for $0.10/share, $10K min buy. This is a good opportunity cause we now know Canopy hit highs of $80/share. This would have been $79.90/share in returns. Obviously, not all companies make it like that.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:05 AM   #5
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

what kinds of returns are you guys seeing?

I've had a good amount of money with an investor for over the last 10 years and i because i'm a smaller amount to some of his clients he just ignores my portfolio and just collects the fees. I was going to move my money last year and didn't, but should have.

it's all RRSP's
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:44 AM   #6
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
last 5 years annualized, +6.20%

i'm also fairly conservative, if you weren't, you'd have gained quite a bit more, but you can never guarantee anything with the market..
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 11:50 AM   #7
SiRVs up, dude

If all your looking for is investment advice, you'll do yourself well by just reading the Canadian couch potato. If your a higher income earner and looking for advice on tax management, optimizing your lifelong income by reducing taxes, increasing spending power with complex debt & insurance techniques, you might do well with private financial advisors. You can PM me for some names - most good ones charge~200-300/hr
Old 08-04-2019, 10:12 AM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
^ Yup.

I'm a couch potato investor and started about 6.5 years ago and have seen an annualized return of 8.3% with a 25% mix each of CDN equity, US equity, Intl equity, and CDN bonds. Just slow and steady investments every month or two with the lump sum of my tax return every year. I spent about 40 hours early on reading up on ETFs and Couch Potato Investing and now I spend no more than 10-15 mins each month managing my money.

Managing my investments is among the best decisions I've made in my life, I went from no hope of retiring at 65 to likely retiring at 55 by taking over my investments.