REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-29-2019, 08:45 PM   #26
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
I thought this is normal for all cars unless you have a v8? I've always noticed that the rad fans kick in for my cars when you turn on the AC and there's also a definite noticable loss of power (Subarus even turn the AC off themselves when you floor it). Could it be a placebo effect? I would say if you could find another e550 and see if it performs the same that would prove whether the issue you have is normal.
Advertisement

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:40 PM   #27
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,062 Times in 1,249 Posts
he does have a v8 but merc uses the same air cond design across the board

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:46 PM   #28
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
In my first Celica (which had <100hp left) turning on the A/C had no noticeable loss of power, same thing in my wifes Matrix. OPs E550 has 4x the power of both of those so I can't imagine a properly functioning one feeling any noticeable loss from the A/C being on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ime2006 View Post
so....
- Just having HVAC running (AC off), car runs fine.
- AC (or Heater) on, at idle Engine load goes from 11% to 16%
- AC Compressor / Clutch also just got replaced. Which means, problem is not on the Compressor.
What are you changing to go from HVAC running to heater on? Are you just changing the temperature setting or is the fan speed changing too?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:46 AM   #29
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,834 Times in 1,480 Posts
I find this hard to believe as well.

I also don’t believe the IAT difference. You have a radiator which is pumping huge amounts of heat into the engine bay all the time. The AC heat exchanger is not going to make that significant of a difference to your IAT. In fact, your OEM airbox probably gets its air from outside the engine bay. Edit: read you have 10 degree difference. You won’t see a major change with this.

The fact you can see the engine load change at idle with the computer is pretty neat. If it was a bunk compressor you’d think the most amount of load required would be getting it moved from a stop (just like torqueing a bolt. Breakaway torque is higher). The numbers you posted make sense in my mind to run the AC. The idle valve on a modern car should be adaptive enough to keep your idle stable (which it does). When the valve opens, the load on the engine increases but the RPM stays the same. (Idle valve essentially opens slightly increasing throttle to keep RPM stable).

I think it’s in your head. Lol. Your rad fan will turn on when the AC is turn on. There will be a voltage drop in the system. This is really reaching way out there, but if you have an aftermarket tune and they somehow messed up the injector dead times and different voltage levels it could mess with your air/fuel mixture. But it would have to be really out there. Really grasping at straws now. Edit: I see you have an aftermarket tube. Load the OEM tune. This would definitely problem solve my made up grasping at straws issue.

What was the last item on the car that was changed when this started happening?

Last edited by hud 91gt; 07-30-2019 at 08:58 AM.
hud 91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:27 AM   #30
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,834 Times in 1,480 Posts
Also, is this power loss just from a stop/idle or through the whole rpm range?