REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-04-2019, 06:40 AM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,727 Times in 1,167 Posts
One shot non-stop driving to east coast - Anyone done it?

I know the drive from West-East/vice-versa has been discussed many times, but how about a non-stop version?

A buddy took a contract job out in the East, and long story short, the 5mth contract turned into a 16mth project.

He's gonna fly back here and do a non-stop (other than food/drink/washroom) driving from here to Toronto to bring his car there as he'd have another 10mth or so there if not longer.

I'm interested in tagging along as I had a planned meeting in Chicago and we can rotate on the driver seat.

Any recommended route or maybe routes to avoid? Also, anything, in particular, we should look for in term of prep (car or otherwise) for a 40+hr drive we are going to do? It's a diesel BMW X5.

We are planning to take the US route as I'd head to Chi-town. The only sorta diversion from the Google map is taking WA hwy20 instead of interstates for better sights.

Thus, if there's any route along the way that doesn't add too many hours of extra driving, I'd appreciate suggestions.
Advertisement

Last edited by Hehe; 08-04-2019 at 06:52 AM.
Hehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:05 AM   #2
Performance Moderator

Thanked 14,980 Times in 4,953 Posts
There’s only one route of staying in Canada man... like... literally only one highway lol

It’s not a fun trip scenery wise until last Calgary (heading this way) or driving wise. USA would be mildly more entertaining but not much, doesn’t make sense to go to Chicago if you’re not stopping at all?
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2019, 09:06 AM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
To go anywhere in Canada, you just follow the only road.

It's like 40 plus hours of driving, being awake for 2 days straightb sounds extremely unsafe to me
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:37 AM   #4
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Drive from Vancouver to calgary first day. Stay in canmore or calgary for the night. Second day go from Calgary to winnipeg, stay the night in winnipeg, then head south to grand forks - minneapolis - Chicago - Detroit- Toronto. Avoid driving from winnipeg to toronto through canada because the highway isnt as good/safe. American roads are generally faster/better and lots of gas stations and good rest stops along the way
shiesty is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2019, 11:00 AM   #5
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
does he plan on driving it back?

ask the company for relocating costs and put the X5 on on a train

or buy a beater there and sell when project is done (sounds like 2 years+)

because cross-country road trip without a bed sounds like torture
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
There’s only one route of staying in Canada man... like... literally only one highway lol

It’s not a fun trip scenery wise until last Calgary (heading this way) or driving wise. USA would be mildly more entertaining but not much, doesn’t make sense to go to Chicago if you’re not stopping at all?
He was planning to do a continuous driving (sleeping in rest areas whenever tired) until I mentioned to him that I can go with him if he can stop by in Chicago for 4hrs for my meeting.

So, we are taking the US route... the question now is which. The classic is i90-94 combo. Just looking to see if there's any smaller state hwy worth the detour/extra travel time for sight-seeing.

And I'm mainly looking what prep (again, car or anything else) we should be doing before the trip since the car is going to run almost non-stop for 40+hrs
Old 08-04-2019, 11:07 AM   #7
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,834 Times in 1,480 Posts
Last time I drove, Westbound I dropped down through Sault Saint Marie and popped back up somewhere in Saskatchewan. I went south for the cheaper gas, but the highway we took wasn’t great and it was concrete (thunk thunk). I have a buddy that did Winnipeg to Kingston in one shot on his own.
Old 08-04-2019, 11:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiesty View Post
Drive from Vancouver to calgary first day. Stay in canmore or calgary for the night. Second day go from Calgary to winnipeg, stay the night in winnipeg, then head south to grand forks - minneapolis - Chicago - Detroit- Toronto. Avoid driving from winnipeg to toronto through canada because the highway isnt as good/safe. American roads are generally faster/better and lots of gas stations and good rest stops along the way
We aren't stopping to sleep. It's going to be one-shot all the way until Chicago (of course stopping for food/drink/shit, you get the idea) where we'd stop so I can catch a meeting and then continue our drive to Toronto.

We are not exactly in a time-critical per se... we do have about almost a day wiggle room. Buddy is coming back on Friday afternoon and we plan to leave on early Sunday at the latest. He just has to make sure to get his butt back to Toronto for a meeting on Wednesday while my meeting in Chicago can be any time with 24hr notice. So, 72+hrs to do a 40hr drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
does he plan on driving it back?

ask the company for relocating costs and put the X5 on on a train

or buy a beater there and sell when project is done (sounds like 2 years+)

because cross-country road trip without a bed sounds like torture
He isn't sure. I mean not even if he'd be leaving for sure in 10mths. That's why he wants to bring his own car. He thought about shipping the car, but he'd have to come back anyway to get the car's insurance (the car only has storage insurance now) and might as well make a road trip out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
Last time I drove, Westbound I dropped down through Sault Saint Marie and popped back up somewhere in Saskatchewan. I went south for the cheaper gas, but the highway we took wasn’t great and it was concrete (thunk thunk). I have a buddy that did Winnipeg to Kingston in one shot on his own.
I think I like the suggestion of yours and shiesty doing a CAN/US combo. I can even get some shopping done in Calgary to save 7%!

Now which way to Calgary would be the best sight-wise?
Old 08-04-2019, 01:28 PM   #9
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,342 Times in 3,438 Posts
One of my buddies did a east to west trip by himself stopping at rest stops to sleep for 4 hours and eating at tims and McDonalds.

I say skip Chicago and do a Cannonball run. These guys did it in 63 hours but you easily take a lot of time off that.

Cannonball Run Canada 2016 ? ZAAKISTAN
Old 08-04-2019, 02:33 PM   #10
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

I'd just take number 1 via the coq to kamloops then back onto number 1. If you do stop in calgary hotels are dirt cheap and shopping is good too because of less tax. Gas is probably a dollar or less per L so fill up as much as you can there
shiesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 03:07 PM   #11

Thanked 8,862 Times in 3,844 Posts
Whatever route you pick, be sure to plan your fuel stops as well. Not everywhere has diesel and not a lot of places will be open 24hrs. Check the speeding laws as well so you know which boring states you can zip through and which you have to be careful.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2019, 05:24 PM   #12
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,451 Times in 3,032 Posts
Not to burst your bubble but why do this ? You can't even stop along the way to enjoy anything or to even get a decent night's rest. All the while it's probably cheaper to leave his car here, take a flight and then buy a 500 dollar corolla in Toronto and use that for work. Seems like an asinine idea to me.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2019, 05:32 PM   #13

bring the Tesla model X
Old 08-04-2019, 06:05 PM   #14

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Not to burst your bubble but why do this ? You can't even stop along the way to enjoy anything or to even get a decent night's rest. All the while it's probably cheaper to leave his car here, take a flight and then buy a 500 dollar corolla in Toronto and use that for work. Seems like an asinine idea to me.
Eh. Everyone's got their preferences that don't necessarily follow logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post

Now which way to Calgary would be the best sight-wise?
From Vancouver?
Whenever i drive from Van to Calgary i take the crowsnest (route 3). The distance is shorter than on the coq, but it is slower.
I like the scenery. Driving through all the little towns. It's a really nice drive.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2019, 08:17 PM   #15

Thanked 8,862 Times in 3,844 Posts
Oh and don't forget to check how BC and Ontario insurance/laws work if he's planning to keep it BC plated out there. Swapping to Ontario reg and insurance was a lot of running around when my parents moved out there (they were in a smaller town, but it took like a week), and he'd need an OOP when he comes back. Plus anyone running a history report will nope the fuck away from a vehicle that spent even one winter in Ontario when he goes to sell it.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2019, 08:25 PM   #16
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
One of my buddies did a east to west trip by himself stopping at rest stops to sleep for 4 hours and eating at tims and McDonalds.

I say skip Chicago and do a Cannonball run. These guys did it in 63 hours but you easily take a lot of time off that.

Cannonball Run Canada 2016 ? ZAAKISTAN
With a diesel, I also think you could do a better time.
But it is an x5, so....(heavier therefore use more fuel etc).
StanleyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:44 PM   #17
My homepage has been set to RS

bring sex doll
danned is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-05-2019, 03:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
The idea is to NOT make do with a beater as he isn't sure how long exactly he's going there for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
Eh. Everyone's got their preferences that don't necessarily follow logic.

From Vancouver?
Whenever i drive from Van to Calgary i take the crowsnest (route 3). The distance is shorter than on the coq, but it is slower.
I like the scenery. Driving through all the little towns. It's a really nice drive.
Appreciate that. We'd look into the drive routes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Oh and don't forget to check how BC and Ontario insurance/laws work if he's planning to keep it BC plated out there. Swapping to Ontario reg and insurance was a lot of running around when my parents moved out there (they were in a smaller town, but it took like a week), and he'd need an OOP when he comes back. Plus anyone running a history report will nope the fuck away from a vehicle that spent even one winter in Ontario when he goes to sell it.
Yes, he already asked that prior to making the decision of making the drive. ICBC told him that as long as his primary residence remains in BC (he owns home here) and he has proof that it's for a temporary basis (his work contract in my buddy's case or more commonly, school enrollments), he can remain with BC plate with ICBC insurance in full effect. He's supposed to NOT stay in ON continuously for over 6mth, but that's an easy task when Niagara Falls, NY is an hour away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyR View Post
Not his in particular, but I've driven my cousin's X5D to well over 1000km on a single tank. But again, we aren't cannonballing this time. 2 Destinations, Chicago and Toronto.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:27 AM   #19
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Since ur taking the X5 and it comes with run flats, u MAY want to find ur self a full size spare wheel/tire just in case of a tire blow out. Does it have a square set up or staggered which will make things a bit more difficult.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:20 PM   #20

plenty do spare-tireless/motorcycle trips cross-country
Old 08-05-2019, 03:03 PM   #21

Thanked 7,342 Times in 3,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyR View Post
If I was to do a cannonball I would think about using a diesel pickup. Do some mods to the suspension/engine and make the whole bed a fuel tank. Maybe put a toilet in the back seat. So you would never have to stop except for driver changes.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:21 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
If I was to do a cannonball I would think about using a diesel pickup. Do some mods to the suspension/engine and make the whole bed a fuel tank. Maybe put a toilet in the back seat. So you would never have to stop except for driver changes.
Yeah, I think all the US record holders were done on modified vehicles with super large tanks with diapers.

I guess it doesn't matter which route we take, I'm gonna make sure we bring a jerry can or two just to avoid the potential scenario where we can't find a 24hr gas station with diesel in the middle of night.

With 2 jerries of 6gallon each, we should be looking at extending another 250miles easily.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:33 PM   #23
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
^ don't forget DEF fluid either

Cadillac CTS (Current)
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:45 PM   #24
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,510 Times in 1,155 Posts
I've done Vancouver to Toronto in 50 hours, through highway 1 in Canada, then made my way through Ottawa to Montreal, then head south through "Henryville". Made my way back through the states, but visited a majority of the major cities (New York, Chicago, Boston, Philli, Washington DC, Pittsburgh, Indianaopolis, St Louis, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Kansas City, Columbus, for examples, not in this order. ) This was with myself and oHenry! from RS. We got along well so it was great, but your friendship needs to be strong in order to see so much of each other all the time, haha.

I had an Acura TSX 4cyl with 200k kms on it already. Ran great, no issues what so ever. Did an oil change before I left, checked tires, checked the spare, had a tire fill kit with me, had spare oil, and food. I taped up the entire front end of the car with blue painters tape and after 2 months on the road it peeled off easy.

People actually enjoyed the painters tape on the car, people were signing it from everywhere we stopped and visited. It was a fun experience.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:17 PM   #25
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,499 Times in 1,504 Posts
What year BMW X5? Newer or older?
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote