REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Car Broken Into (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716343-car-broken-into.html)

j_ryan604 08-04-2019 10:10 AM

Car Broken Into

hey guys, did a quick search on the forum and found nothing on the matter. so i got my car broken into early saturday morning and aside from the broken window what was stolen was a pair of sunglasses and prescription glasses. don't really much care for the glasses but what concerns me the most is they also stole my insurance papers.

made a police report and called icbc and they said there's not much they can do with them aside from know my address. however reading online, there's alot they can do with it like sell stolen cars under my VIN and name. is that really possible and how do i go about making sure that doesn't happen?

prudz 08-04-2019 01:38 PM

Maybe call equifax and transunion and put a fraud alert on yourself. Sounds like some information harvesting. Best case this prevents them from doing anything to your credit. Best case, they discard your info and don't do anything with it. Make sure you have theft insurance because maybe they are coming back with some keys freshly cut to just drive away with your car.

fliptuner 08-04-2019 01:52 PM

Hope you didn't leave a garage door remote in the car.

Mikoyan 08-04-2019 02:20 PM

Keep an eye on your house for the next little while. Friend had his insurance papers stolen from his car, and they hit his house later that week. More directly, my aunt got forced out of her car at knifepoint in Surrey, they then drove to her house in Burnaby and tried to break in. uncle was home and they took off

Euro7r 08-04-2019 03:24 PM

Just for reference - What I do is sharpie my address on my insurance papers in the glove box. I sharpie it front and back, and then use a ink pen and scribble over it, so you can't see the address information at all.

eclipseman 08-04-2019 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euro7r (Post 8955777)
Just for reference - What I do is sharpie my address on my insurance papers in the glove box. I sharpie it front and back, and then use a ink pen and scribble over it, so you can't see the address information at all.

You can actually just cover or whiteout your address, then photocopy your papers and keep those in the car. No need to keep the originals in your car and you do not have to show your address to anyone, in case you get into a fender bender.

Been doing this for two decades.

j_ryan604 08-04-2019 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikoyan (Post 8955773)
Keep an eye on your house for the next little while. Friend had his insurance papers stolen from his car, and they hit his house later that week. More directly, my aunt got forced out of her car at knifepoint in Surrey, they then drove to her house in Burnaby and tried to break in. uncle was home and they took off

that's what im afraid of. no ones basically home during the day time either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prudz (Post 8955771)
Maybe call equifax and transunion and put a fraud alert on yourself. Sounds like some information harvesting. Best case this prevents them from doing anything to your credit. Best case, they discard your info and don't do anything with it. Make sure you have theft insurance because maybe they are coming back with some keys freshly cut to just drive away with your car.

wouldn't that affect my credit score?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fliptuner (Post 8955772)
Hope you didn't leave a garage door remote in the car.

don't have a garage anyhow but it's a little sketch now knowing they got my address since no ones home during the day

Mikoyan 08-05-2019 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j_ryan604 (Post 8955780)

wouldn't that affect my credit score?

No.its not a hard credit check.