REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-23-2019, 02:34 AM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

New to Canada/Vancouver - Intro & Q's

Hi all

I accidentally found this forum via another car forum but happy to see it's quite active, especially in BC.

I'm moving to Vancouver in a few weeks. I'm originally from the UK (not lived there for a while however) but I have had the fortunate experiences of living in Asia, Middle East and currently Central Europe (all for work). All amazing places for petrolheads a like.

Anyway, Canada will be very new to me (I'm a recently new PR), so I'm posting this to get a feel for the local scene, but also I have a few questions which I'm hoping some of you could kindly answer.

1) Insurance is expense in BC (and Canada in general)

I've read this over and over. So I'm preparing to cough up large amounts of $$ to fuel my car habit. 1st September I noticed that ICBC are changing the rules for foreign licence exchange (https://www.icbc.com/driver-licensin...r-country.aspx) so I can only assume my insurance will cost me more.

Any recommendation for friendly/good Autoplan brokers?

2) Detailing products

Any recommendation of where to buy them? Carzilla? Amazon? Eshine?

3) BCAA membership

Is it worth buying it? 10% discount on 3rd party insurance? Any alternatives?

4) Dash Cams

Is Blackboxmycar the right / most knowledgable place to buy from? I'm handy with the tools, so installing one isn't an issue, but maybe they're the best guys in town to use?

5) Tools

Canadian Tire? Any other places to consider?

6) Discount cards

Anything worth signing up for? Fuel/gas discounts? Costco?

7) Best place for winter wheels and tires (aka tyres )

I read a few forums of people ordering from Tire Rack, delivering to the Bellingham branch across the border. Worth it?

8) Roof boxes & bike racks

Best place to buy? Canadian tire? Alternatives?

9) Vanity plates

Very cheap compared to places I've lived before. Are they a social 'no no' or cool to have if appropriate? Anything I should know or avoid (i've already seen the banned/rejected list).

10) PST, GST & Luxury tax

Aware of this....ouch

Thats all for now and thanks for reading.

SL
Advertisement

Last edited by SpiderLemon; 08-23-2019 at 02:42 AM.
SpiderLemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 03:01 AM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,520 Times in 1,511 Posts
Welcome!

1. Doesn't matter where you get your insurance, it's all the same.

2. I've ordered from all 3 of those places.

Typically most people order all car related parts and accessories from the US and ship to the US. This is because all Canadian distributors buy from the US, and then mark it up even more. However I'm not sure if that is an option for you.

A local brand, EverythingCarCare (WaxedShine), should have everything you want. They're located in Port Coquitlam.

3. I've heard Bel-Air is alternative. You may or may not qualify for BCAA. Typically buying 3rd party is somewhat cheaper, but whether or not you can justify savings vs the time spent to deal with these companies when you need, is another question.

4. Yes, but if you know how to or can figure out how to wire a dashcam in the first place, you won't need them. I use Vantrue for my dashcam. We have a dashcam thread here (I'll link it in the morning), you can see what other people are running. Or do some research on Google if you have the time.

5. Canadian Tire doesn't necessarily have quality tools, but you can get some pretty sweet deals. Plus their MasterCraft stuff has lifetime warranty, with receipt. Break it? Replace it. Canadian Tire is likely going to be your go to place for engine oil.

6. Depending on how many people you're feeding or if you're meal prepping or doing keto, Costco is usually a good deal. Costco also has gas bars further east from Vancouver. Fuel/Gas is very expensive here. I usually go to the states because my car takes 91. Again, that might not be an option for you. I'm not sure if you can apply for Canadian credit cards but some CCs have partnered deals or cash back on gas.

7. If delivering to the border isn't worth it, check out PMC Tires or Quattro Tires. They're Canadian companies and will ship to BC. Or the forum sponsor, The Speed Syndicate, can help.

8. Not sure. Online?

9. Just do it. They're funny and cool most of the time, if fitting to the car. Just don't do something cringe worthy like this guy in a chrome wrapped 350z with the plate "CEO". Yeah fuck off buddy, you're a CLS. Chief Laughing Stock.

10. You will always have to pay 12% on a vehicle regardless of new or used. I'm not too sure about the specifics of luxury tax, but it's a big ouch.

11. Another big ouch is that if you're looking to buy a place, there are stipulations on your status in Canada. There is now a foreign owner's tax or speculation tax.

I hope you enjoy your residency in BC!

If you want to check out all the luxury cars and exotics, just come to Richmond. Have some Chinese (Asian) food, while you're at it. Just watch out for the bad drivers Hahahaha. If you're into modified/loud cars, stay out of Vancouver. We've got plenty of great mountains locally for snow sports and hikes, plenty of water around us for water sports, and two tracks near us (Mission Raceway in Mission, BC and Ridge Motorsports Park in Shelton, WA)
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||

Last edited by BIC_BAWS; 08-23-2019 at 11:50 AM.
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2019, 08:03 AM   #3
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderLemon View Post

2) Detailing products

Any recommendation of where to buy them? Carzilla? Amazon? Eshine?

Welcome!

https://www.autoobsessed.com/?gclid=...SAAEgLX1_D_BwE

They are located out of Edmonton but ship and ship very quickly. Normally 1-2 day turn over time. You will not find any where better in Canada to purchase detail supplies.
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2019, 09:13 AM   #4
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,031 Times in 2,071 Posts
Welcome to RS.

Not sure what kind of vehicles you’re into or if you’ll be moving into Vancouver proper, but you may want to take a read through this: https://www.revscene.net/forums/7153...ike-candy.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2019, 01:18 AM   #5
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
Welcome!

1. Doesn't matter where you get your insurance, it's all the same.

2. I've ordered from all 3 of those places.

Typically most people order all car related parts and accessories from the US and ship to the US. This is because all Canadian distributors buy from the US, and then mark it up even more. However I'm not sure if that is an option for you.

A local brand, EverythingCarCare (WaxedShine), should have everything you want. They're located in Port Coquitlam.

3. I've heard Bel-Air is alternative. You may or may not qualify for BCAA. Typically buying 3rd party is somewhat cheaper, but whether or not you can justify savings vs the time spent to deal with these companies when you need, is another question.

4. Yes, but if you know how to or can figure out how to wire a dashcam in the first place, you won't need them. I use Vantrue for my dashcam. We have a dashcam thread here (I'll link it in the morning), you can see what other people are running. Or do some research on Google if you have the time.

5. Canadian Tire doesn't necessarily have quality tools, but you can get some pretty sweet deals. Plus their MasterCraft stuff has lifetime warranty, with receipt. Break it? Replace it. Canadian Tire is likely going to be your go to place for engine oil.

6. Depending on how many people you're feeding or if you're meal prepping or doing keto, Costco is usually a good deal. Costco also has gas bars further east from Vancouver. Fuel/Gas is very expensive here. I usually go to the states because my car takes 91. Again, that might not be an option for you. I'm not sure if you can apply for Canadian credit cards but some CCs have partnered deals or cash back on gas.

7. If delivering to the border isn't worth it, check out PMC Tires or Quattro Tires. They're Canadian companies and will ship to BC. Or the forum sponsor, The Speed Syndicate, can help.

8. Not sure. Online?

9. Just do it. They're funny and cool most of the time, if fitting to the car. Just don't do something cringe worthy like this guy in a chrome wrapped 350z with the plate "CEO". Yeah fuck off buddy, you're a CLS. Chief Laughing Stock.

10. You will always have to pay 12% on a vehicle regardless of new or used. I'm not too sure about the specifics of luxury tax, but it's a big ouch.

11. Another big ouch is that if you're looking to buy a place, there are stipulations on your status in Canada. There is now a foreign owner's tax or speculation tax.

I hope you enjoy your residency in BC!

If you want to check out all the luxury cars and exotics, just come to Richmond. Have some Chinese (Asian) food, while you're at it. Just watch out for the bad drivers Hahahaha. If you're into modified/loud cars, stay out of Vancouver. We've got plenty of great mountains locally for snow sports and hikes, plenty of water around us for water sports, and two tracks near us (Mission Raceway in Mission, BC and Ridge Motorsports Park in Shelton, WA)

Thanks for the comprehensive reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post

haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudz View Post
Welcome!

https://www.autoobsessed.com/?gclid=...SAAEgLX1_D_BwE

They are located out of Edmonton but ship and ship very quickly. Normally 1-2 day turn over time. You will not find any where better in Canada to purchase detail supplies.
Thanks! I'll check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Welcome to RS.

Not sure what kind of vehicles you’re into or if you’ll be moving into Vancouver proper, but you may want to take a read through this: https://www.revscene.net/forums/7153...ike-candy.html
European/German mainly. But thanks for the link!

Last edited by SpiderLemon; 08-24-2019 at 01:25 AM.
Old 08-24-2019, 01:39 AM   #6

Thanked 4,520 Times in 1,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderLemon View Post
European/German mainly. But thanks for the link!

European - German are being targeted as well. Plenty of Porsches and BMWs have been VI'd. I haven't heard much about MBs or Audi's being VI'd but I'm also not in those scenes.

One of the first cars that got VI'd was a collector plate worthy red E30, with just M-Tech springs. Plenty of BMWs have been VI'd. Even the new ones with M Performance Exhaust.
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2019, 08:09 AM   #7
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 6,994 Times in 1,884 Posts
#3. Might be worth getting BCAA since you have a German car joking aside, I have BCAA and I use it for road side assistance. I used to use their insurance but I stopped. Biggest pain in the ass to deal with. Would rather spend the extra $$$ to have a straight forward, smooth free claim with ICBC if I ever need to use it again.

#8. Rack Attack or Rack Stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay

Last edited by mb_; 08-24-2019 at 11:47 AM.
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2019, 09:18 AM   #8
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,276 Times in 488 Posts
Welcome!! What have you driven in the past and what are you thinking might suite your eye over here once you arrive!?
'10 E92 M3 (sold)
'10 ZDX (sold)
'10 STI (sold)
'08 Mazdaspeed 3 (sold)
'04 RSX (sold)
'92 300ZX (sold)
‘94 Ford Probe GT (sold)
bcuzracecarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:14 AM   #9

I won't answer any of your questions as there are a lot of helpful response already but wanted to say welcome...

First question is what is your fav football team?
Old 08-25-2019, 05:24 AM   #10
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_ View Post
#3. Might be worth getting BCAA since you have a German car joking aside, I have BCAA and I use it for road side assistance. I used to use their insurance but I stopped. Biggest pain in the ass to deal with. Would rather spend the extra $$$ to have a straight forward, smooth free claim with ICBC if I ever need to use it again.

#8. Rack Attack or Rack Stop
Ha, thanks! Noted on BCAA

Last edited by SpiderLemon; 08-25-2019 at 05:35 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:34 AM   #11
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcuzracecarz View Post
Welcome!! What have you driven in the past and what are you thinking might suite your eye over here once you arrive!?
Thank you!

Here is what I've owned over the years (you might need to Google one or two since they're very much euro heaps)

Mini (original classic, 998cc, my first car)
Vauxhall Nova 1.3SR
Peugeot 106 XSI
Peugeot 106 Rallye
BMW 328i Sport Coupe (e36)
Vauxhall VX220 (aka Opel Speedster)
Mercedes Vito Van (for carrying bikes!)
Porsche Cayman GTS
Land Rover Discovery LR3 V8 HSE
BMW Z4 3.0i coupe
Mazda MX5 1.8i MK1
Porsche 911 (997) C4S - My pride and joy for the last 3 years, which I've recently sold pending my relocation.

(also owned and raced a number of motorbikes over the years as well , circuit, enduro & baja/desert).

I'm very much a Porsche/BMW man. But rather fond of the original MX5's and their simplicity. I'm keen to pick up another 911 at some point once I've settled and a house/garage is sorted and as I've got older I've been more interested in 'wafty' old BMW 5 & 7 series of the 90's vintage.

Last edited by SpiderLemon; 08-25-2019 at 07:00 AM.
This post thanked by: