REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-29-2019, 06:18 PM   #1
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Speed kills your pocketbook 2 gofundme

https://www.gofundme.com/f/SKYP-2-Ly...Khh0KOIQ2QLuZ0

Looks like a good cause. Here is the original.

Advertisement
Old 08-29-2019, 08:15 PM   #2
I STILL don't get it

So who is donating?
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:38 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

funding for what?
danned is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-29-2019, 09:53 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
This again.. I remember watching this 3 years ago
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:56 PM   #5
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,815 Times in 8,189 Posts
Fighting a futile battle. Personal cars is quickly becoming a thing of the past, eventually seen like riding horses today.

Eventually, single driver, human-driven cars on the open road will be exclusively luxury items. Once that happens, and it literally only aplies to rich people, then we may see things like speed limit increases and other laws that benefit drivers.

Aside from that, who fucking cares what the speed limits are? Just leave earlier if you can't drive fast enough to get there in time.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:29 AM   #6
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Aside from that, who fucking cares what the speed limits are? Just leave earlier if you can't drive fast enough to get there in time.
It's a misconception that people drive fast only because they are running late. Some people just find it inefficient to unnecessarily spend more time commuting when they don't need to by going faster than the speed limit. Cause seriously, the speed limit is too low.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:56 AM   #7
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
I really enjoyed the first video.

I like the point about the Sea to Sky at the end. The Malahat portion of Highway 1 has also been upgraded with more four lane areas, divided with contrete and better sight lines. The limit was kept at 80km/h and the majority of drivers are speeding because 80 is now too slow. Of course there is increased enforcement even though it is now a safer route.

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818

Last edited by TouringTeg; 08-30-2019 at 08:12 AM.
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:36 AM   #8

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
A lot of speed limits feel low now because cars are more cushy and boring to drive. Especially with more people driving SUVs and sitting much higher up where everything feels slow and boring as all hell.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:16 AM   #9
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,212 Times in 188 Posts
I'm on board except he said it himself....tickets generate a lot of revenue for the government. If they raise speed limits and can't generate as much income from tickets then we see taxes go up. So either we can control who pays for it or we all pay for it.

Edit: Also, what's the gofundme for?
smaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:05 AM   #10
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,518 Posts
Quote:
Fighting a futile battle.

Same thing could be said about the situation in HK. Obviously, its to a different degree. But I find it funny how you shit on people for stating the obvious, yet you're here stating the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaggs View Post

Help with the production costs of making the video, gathering statistics, interviewing people, etc. It ain't free
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2019, 08:25 PM   #11
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
Help with the production costs of making the video, gathering statistics, interviewing people, etc. It ain't free

I've seen high school kids make better vids for nowhere near the 10k goal.

Someone's making money. Good for them being creative I suppose.
StanleyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyR View Post

I've seen high school kids make better vids for nowhere near the 10k goal.

Someone's making money. Good for them being creative I suppose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaggs View Post

It's for marketing and advertising not making the video.

Speeds in B.C. have been decreasing.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Same thing could be said about the situation in HK. Obviously, its to a different degree. But I find it funny how you shit on people for stating the obvious, yet you're here stating the same thing.

The battle of HK is far from futile. What we're seeing is just the beginning of it.

And my post was more of a generality... I'm not "shitting on" anyone who wants to fight for higher speed laws. If it's the most important thing in your life at this time, by all means fight for your rights!
Old 08-31-2019, 06:53 AM   #14
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
i'm for higher speed limit on marked city streets at 60kph and 100 for all of the highway 1 sections around vancouver

some parts of coquilhalla seems way too fast even on dry days at 120kph through the turns/bends

in montana rn and the backroads are rated at 70mph with plenty of hills and limited visibility...it's terrifying at night to get close to the speed limit

vancouver residential side streets...50 seems too fast...the proposed 30 is too grandma...40 would be nice
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:08 AM   #15
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
i'm for higher speed limit on marked city streets at 60kph and 100 for all of the highway 1 sections around vancouver

some parts of coquilhalla seems way too fast even on dry days at 120kph through the turns/bends

in montana rn and the backroads are rated at 70mph with plenty of hills and limited visibility...it's terrifying at night to get close to the speed limit

vancouver residential side streets...50 seems too fast...the proposed 30 is too grandma...40 would be nice
They are limits. If you feel unsafe let others pass and drive a little slower. Those that don't feel unsafe will carry on up to the limit.
DGN23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:33 AM   #16
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post

I agree that at night it can get a little sketchy, needs more visibility (or I need better lights). The coq's snow speed limits should be lower imo. It's terrifying trying to get through what seems to be a blizzard when there's no lanes and semi's hauling ass behind you. That said, I should probably just get more snow driving experience.

In the dry, however, 120kph is perfectly reasonable imo. In no way, I am saying to treat the road like a track, with my follow sentence. However, I'm sure the 120kph around bends and what not, will seem less scary if you actually know how to drive your car. Go to an autox / lapping day and learn the limits of your car. My brother who just got his license isn't into cars at all, but I'd want him to do an HPDE event so he can learn the limits of the car - and stay within it.

That said, it seems like most people of the general population only know how to drive in a straight line. Most people are scared of the sea to sky (ffs), scared of making turns on the one section on 91 at 90kph (ffs), so I'm not sure wtf they're thinking when they decided to drive on the Coq. Take a fucking tour bus or a HPDE course and learn how to drive.
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:45 AM   #17
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
NDP lowered the speed limit on several sections of my commute last year in spite of major safety upgrades (barriers, elimination of turning lanes, etc.) on ALL of those sections 1-2 years prior.

Very few people go slower than they did before, but now you see more people pulled over for speeding.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:51 AM   #18

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
By all means feel free to drive slower on the Coq if that's what you're comfortable with, just stay in the right lane. But my old Cherokee could do it just fine at more than 120 so the road itself is not an issue. Granted it couldn't do the uphill sections very quickly but everything else not a problem.

Quote:
The coq's snow speed limits should be lower imo. It's terrifying trying to get through what seems to be a blizzard when there's no lanes and semi's hauling ass behind you. That said, I should probably just get more snow driving experience.
You shouldn't need a speed limit to tell you what to be doing in the snow. As long as you're not getting in anyones way putter through at whatever speed is correct for your vehicle and tires.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:15 PM   #19
HELP ME PLS!!!

Theyve lowered some speeds on the highways that were 120 kph because there was a statisical increase in accidents that resulted in more severe injury due to speed.

I agree with them lowering it. They tried to increase speeds on highways, I think because of this video, and have adapted appropriately.

Should the speeds be set for the best drivers on the road, or the worst?
Old 09-10-2019, 08:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
Theyve lowered some speeds on the highways that were 120 kph because there was a statisical increase in accidents that resulted in more severe injury due to speed.

I agree with them lowering it. They tried to increase speeds on highways, I think because of this video, and have adapted appropriately.

Should the speeds be set for the best drivers on the road, or the worst?
Well the road on the Island that was 120 KM/h is flat and straight for large stretches and old ladies go faster than that 110 on that road. If you can't drive strait on a flat road well you should not be driving.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:59 PM   #21
Old School RS

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
Theyve lowered some speeds on the highways that were 120 kph because there was a statisical increase in accidents that resulted in more severe injury due to speed
Do you have a source for this?

Mark
Old 09-10-2019, 11:20 PM   #22
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Personal cars is quickly becoming a thing of the past, eventually seen like riding horses today.

That's the most ignorant thing I've ever heard.

I suggest you actually go research how societies grow and prosper, and economics of delivery and supply/demand. In almost every analysis conducted of world order and growth, the fact that the USA became a world leader in as short a period as it did is largely credited to the fact that they had large road and rail networks, and were able to move materials, people and goods efficiently.

The general thought that moving people to and from work is all roads are for, and the only thing speed limits affect are 1 extra minute in the car at the end of your day is a really short sighted and ignorant look at our infrastructure system.

A 10km/h bump in speed limits can represent 100 or more extra km many professional drivers can travel in a day this is the difference between making it home to Vancouver one night or having to stay in Hope for 8 additional hours while you reset your hours. Yes, most of you on here barking about this shit dont understand that, but trust me those of us that drive for a living or long distances for work, things like this matter.

And no, despite what you seem to believe or the government thinks they can do, self driving vehicles aren't coming any time soon, so professional driving jobs are going nowhere for the next two decades, and neither are cars. I mean the laws surrounding it alone are going to take years to sort out. Hell we just passed new laws on Cannabis (something way more simple than a 4000lb piece of metal that operates on it's own), and that took over 2 years and is still causing problems. So yeah a car that drives people around on it's own, or self driving transport trucks are a LONG ways away.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-11-2019, 01:59 AM   #23
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
Do you have a source for this?

Mark
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...uced-1.4893914

This talks about the speed limit rollback that happened last year.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2019, 02:18 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...uced-1.4893914

This talks about the speed limit rollback that happened last year.
You're not going to win a "speed limit" argument (or a self driving argument) on what was primarily a driving forum. But sometimes they may be too low, sometimes they may be too high. I am trying to get the speed limit lowered on my street. It's 70 KM/h but it's a winding road with heavy fog in the winter, and there's a non controlled crosswalk right after a tight corner. I have called SPCA and rescued dogs too many times, and two years ago a 5 year old girl was run over and killed as a driver switched lanes right at the crosswalk (they have since changed it to a double solid line).

But yeah like I said. If having "to stay in Hope for 8 hours" is a big enough issue in your life, and happens often enough that it's something you want to fight for, then by all means do it. I disagree, but we're able to do that in (hopefully) a mature manner (anything else makes me ).
Old 09-11-2019, 06:09 AM   #25
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Well the road on the Island that was 120 KM/h is flat and straight for large stretches and old ladies go faster than that 110 on that road. If you can't drive strait on a flat road well you should not be driving.
That specific road might be a canadiate for 120kph. I don't know it that well, and don't have accident data on it.