REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Speed kills your pocketbook 2 gofundme (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716423-speed-kills-your-pocketbook-2-gofundme.html)

Manic! 08-29-2019 07:18 PM

Speed kills your pocketbook 2 gofundme
 
https://www.gofundme.com/f/SKYP-2-Ly...Khh0KOIQ2QLuZ0

Looks like a good cause. Here is the original.


prudz 08-29-2019 09:15 PM

So who is donating?

danned 08-29-2019 10:38 PM

funding for what?

ilovebacon 08-29-2019 10:53 PM

This again.. I remember watching this 3 years ago

SkinnyPupp 08-29-2019 10:56 PM

Fighting a futile battle. Personal cars is quickly becoming a thing of the past, eventually seen like riding horses today.

Eventually, single driver, human-driven cars on the open road will be exclusively luxury items. Once that happens, and it literally only aplies to rich people, then we may see things like speed limit increases and other laws that benefit drivers.

Aside from that, who fucking cares what the speed limits are? Just leave earlier if you can't drive fast enough to get there in time. FailFish

AzNightmare 08-30-2019 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8958538)
Aside from that, who fucking cares what the speed limits are? Just leave earlier if you can't drive fast enough to get there in time. FailFish

It's a misconception that people drive fast only because they are running late. Some people just find it inefficient to unnecessarily spend more time commuting when they don't need to by going faster than the speed limit. Cause seriously, the speed limit is too low.

TouringTeg 08-30-2019 08:56 AM

I really enjoyed the first video.

I like the point about the Sea to Sky at the end. The Malahat portion of Highway 1 has also been upgraded with more four lane areas, divided with contrete and better sight lines. The limit was kept at 80km/h and the majority of drivers are speeding because 80 is now too slow. Of course there is increased enforcement even though it is now a safer route.

underscore 08-30-2019 09:36 AM

A lot of speed limits feel low now because cars are more cushy and boring to drive. Especially with more people driving SUVs and sitting much higher up where everything feels slow and boring as all hell.

smaggs 08-30-2019 10:16 AM

I'm on board except he said it himself....tickets generate a lot of revenue for the government. If they raise speed limits and can't generate as much income from tickets then we see taxes go up. So either we can control who pays for it or we all pay for it.


Edit: Also, what's the gofundme for?

BIC_BAWS 08-30-2019 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8958538)
Fighting a futile battle.


Same thing could be said about the situation in HK. Obviously, its to a different degree. But I find it funny how you shit on people for stating the obvious, yet you're here stating the same thing.


Quote:

Originally Posted by smaggs (Post 8958565)
Edit: Also, what's the gofundme for?


Help with the production costs of making the video, gathering statistics, interviewing people, etc. It ain't free

StanleyR 08-30-2019 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS (Post 8958571)
Help with the production costs of making the video, gathering statistics, interviewing people, etc. It ain't free

:rukidding:
I've seen high school kids make better vids for nowhere near the 10k goal.

Someone's making money. Good for them being creative I suppose.

Manic! 08-30-2019 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyR (Post 8958638)
:rukidding:
I've seen high school kids make better vids for nowhere near the 10k goal.

Someone's making money. Good for them being creative I suppose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smaggs (Post 8958565)


Edit: Also, what's the gofundme for?


It's for marketing and advertising not making the video.


Speeds in B.C. have been decreasing.

SkinnyPupp 08-30-2019 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS (Post 8958571)
Same thing could be said about the situation in HK. Obviously, its to a different degree. But I find it funny how you shit on people for stating the obvious, yet you're here stating the same thing.





Help with the production costs of making the video, gathering statistics, interviewing people, etc. It ain't free

The battle of HK is far from futile. What we're seeing is just the beginning of it.

And my post was more of a generality... I'm not "shitting on" anyone who wants to fight for higher speed laws. If it's the most important thing in your life at this time, by all means fight for your rights!

twitchyzero 08-31-2019 07:53 AM

i'm for higher speed limit on marked city streets at 60kph and 100 for all of the highway 1 sections around vancouver

some parts of coquilhalla seems way too fast even on dry days at 120kph through the turns/bends

in montana rn and the backroads are rated at 70mph with plenty of hills and limited visibility...it's terrifying at night to get close to the speed limit

vancouver residential side streets...50 seems too fast...the proposed 30 is too grandma...40 would be nice

DGN23 08-31-2019 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8958668)
i'm for higher speed limit on marked city streets at 60kph and 100 for all of the highway 1 sections around vancouver

some parts of coquilhalla seems way too fast even on dry days at 120kph through the turns/bends

in montana rn and the backroads are rated at 70mph with plenty of hills and limited visibility...it's terrifying at night to get close to the speed limit

vancouver residential side streets...50 seems too fast...the proposed 30 is too grandma...40 would be nice

They are limits. If you feel unsafe let others pass and drive a little slower. Those that don't feel unsafe will carry on up to the limit.

BIC_BAWS 08-31-2019 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8958668)
some parts of coquilhalla seems way too fast even on dry days at 120kph through the turns/bends

in montana rn and the backroads are rated at 70mph with plenty of hills and limited visibility...it's terrifying at night to get close to the speed limit


I agree that at night it can get a little sketchy, needs more visibility (or I need better lights). The coq's snow speed limits should be lower imo. It's terrifying trying to get through what seems to be a blizzard when there's no lanes and semi's hauling ass behind you. That said, I should probably just get more snow driving experience.

In the dry, however, 120kph is perfectly reasonable imo. In no way, I am saying to treat the road like a track, with my follow sentence. However, I'm sure the 120kph around bends and what not, will seem less scary if you actually know how to drive your car. Go to an autox / lapping day and learn the limits of your car. My brother who just got his license isn't into cars at all, but I'd want him to do an HPDE event so he can learn the limits of the car - and stay within it.

That said, it seems like most people of the general population only know how to drive in a straight line. Most people are scared of the sea to sky (ffs), scared of making turns on the one section on 91 at 90kph (ffs), so I'm not sure wtf they're thinking when they decided to drive on the Coq. Take a fucking tour bus or a HPDE course and learn how to drive.

Jmac 08-31-2019 12:45 PM

NDP lowered the speed limit on several sections of my commute last year in spite of major safety upgrades (barriers, elimination of turning lanes, etc.) on ALL of those sections 1-2 years prior.

Very few people go slower than they did before, but now you see more people pulled over for speeding.

underscore 08-31-2019 12:51 PM

By all means feel free to drive slower on the Coq if that's what you're comfortable with, just stay in the right lane. But my old Cherokee could do it just fine at more than 120 so the road itself is not an issue. Granted it couldn't do the uphill sections very quickly but everything else not a problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS (Post 8958681)
The coq's snow speed limits should be lower imo. It's terrifying trying to get through what seems to be a blizzard when there's no lanes and semi's hauling ass behind you. That said, I should probably just get more snow driving experience.

You shouldn't need a speed limit to tell you what to be doing in the snow. As long as you're not getting in anyones way putter through at whatever speed is correct for your vehicle and tires.

DragonChi 09-10-2019 09:15 PM

Theyve lowered some speeds on the highways that were 120 kph because there was a statisical increase in accidents that resulted in more severe injury due to speed.

I agree with them lowering it. They tried to increase speeds on highways, I think because of this video, and have adapted appropriately.

Should the speeds be set for the best drivers on the road, or the worst?

Manic! 09-10-2019 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonChi (Post 8959610)
Theyve lowered some speeds on the highways that were 120 kph because there was a statisical increase in accidents that resulted in more severe injury due to speed.

I agree with them lowering it. They tried to increase speeds on highways, I think because of this video, and have adapted appropriately.

Should the speeds be set for the best drivers on the road, or the worst?

Well the road on the Island that was 120 KM/h is flat and straight for large stretches and old ladies go faster than that 110 on that road. If you can't drive strait on a flat road well you should not be driving.

lowside67 09-10-2019 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonChi (Post 8959610)
Theyve lowered some speeds on the highways that were 120 kph because there was a statisical increase in accidents that resulted in more severe injury due to speed

Do you have a source for this?

Mark

meme405 09-11-2019 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8958538)
Personal cars is quickly becoming a thing of the past, eventually seen like riding horses today.


Aside from that, who fucking cares what the speed limits are? Just leave earlier if you can't drive fast enough to get there in time. FailFish

That's the most ignorant thing I've ever heard.

I suggest you actually go research how societies grow and prosper, and economics of delivery and supply/demand. In almost every analysis conducted of world order and growth, the fact that the USA became a world leader in as short a period as it did is largely credited to the fact that they had large road and rail networks, and were able to move materials, people and goods efficiently.

The general thought that moving people to and from work is all roads are for, and the only thing speed limits affect are 1 extra minute in the car at the end of your day is a really short sighted and ignorant look at our infrastructure system.

A 10km/h bump in speed limits can represent 100 or more extra km many professional drivers can travel in a day this is the difference between making it home to Vancouver one night or having to stay in Hope for 8 additional hours while you reset your hours. Yes, most of you on here barking about this shit dont understand that, but trust me those of us that drive for a living or long distances for work, things like this matter.

And no, despite what you seem to believe or the government thinks they can do, self driving vehicles aren't coming any time soon, so professional driving jobs are going nowhere for the next two decades, and neither are cars. I mean the laws surrounding it alone are going to take years to sort out. Hell we just passed new laws on Cannabis (something way more simple than a 4000lb piece of metal that operates on it's own), and that took over 2 years and is still causing problems. So yeah a car that drives people around on it's own, or self driving transport trucks are a LONG ways away.

AzNightmare 09-11-2019 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowside67 (Post 8959619)
Do you have a source for this?

Mark

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...uced-1.4893914

This talks about the speed limit rollback that happened last year.

SkinnyPupp 09-11-2019 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNightmare (Post 8959627)
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...uced-1.4893914

This talks about the speed limit rollback that happened last year.

You're not going to win a "speed limit" argument (or a self driving argument) on what was primarily a driving forum. But sometimes they may be too low, sometimes they may be too high. I am trying to get the speed limit lowered on my street. It's 70 KM/h but it's a winding road with heavy fog in the winter, and there's a non controlled crosswalk right after a tight corner. I have called SPCA and rescued dogs too many times, and two years ago a 5 year old girl was run over and killed as a driver switched lanes right at the crosswalk (they have since changed it to a double solid line).

But yeah like I said. If having "to stay in Hope for 8 hours" is a big enough issue in your life, and happens often enough that it's something you want to fight for, then by all means do it. I disagree, but we're able to do that in (hopefully) a mature manner (anything else makes me EleGiggle ).

DragonChi 09-11-2019 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8959611)
Well the road on the Island that was 120 KM/h is flat and straight for large stretches and old ladies go faster than that 110 on that road. If you can't drive strait on a flat road well you should not be driving.

That specific road might be a canadiate for 120kph. I don't know it that well, and don't have accident data on it.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net