REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Washing machine VS Hand Wash (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716492-washing-machine-vs-hand-wash.html)

Mr.HappySilp 10-07-2019 09:46 AM

Washing machine VS Hand Wash

So just wondering do people on RS hand wash their underwear/socks or do you guys throw it in the washing machine.

I usually just throw underwear along with my other clothes and socks in a separate load. However, a lot of females including my wife seems to hand wash their underwear and socks by hand. They all believe that is cleaner to wash by hand vs washing machine. Bras I get it since there are wires so putting them in the washing machine will ruin them but underwear and socks?

To me washing machine should be cleaner since each cycle is longer and it actually wash everything very thoroughly while hand washing you can't guarantee that. I also tend to clean my washing machine every few months (there is a mode I can set to clean the washing machine and use those special soap). I try to google it and there isn't a clear answer. Some sites said it is best to wash underwear and socks by hand others said washing machine is better as long as it is clean.

!Aznboi128 10-07-2019 10:07 AM

As a male, all my clothes go in to the washer then the dryer it takes just too much effort to to it otherwise.

BUT my wife has been washing clothes of different colours and hang drying shirts now.... must say I have not seen any difference. That or I'm completely oblivious to any changes.

Mr.HappySilp 10-07-2019 10:18 AM

^^ I usually just hang my clothes.

yray 10-07-2019 10:40 AM

https://image.dhgate.com/webp/m/0x0/...Azjt7U4359.jpg

daiso for 2$

save your bras

#smoothie

320icar 10-07-2019 11:38 AM

For 30 years I’ve never separated my clothes. Whether colours, fabric, type are garment etc. But I’m not a fancy dresser. I get my clothes at Costco so that should give you an idea of how much I care for haut cuture.

My wife does not hand wash. Delicates get put in the bags shown above, and if something is sensitive it gets air dried and tumbled on low afterwards

punkwax 10-07-2019 11:42 AM

Who the f has time to hand wash.. :fuckthatshit:

Hondaracer 10-07-2019 11:43 AM

Hand wash? Fuck that noise. Barely enough time as is just throwing it in the washer lol..

And yea, I highly doubt hand washing is any cleaner, in fact considering you’re probably cleaning them in a sink or tub used for things other than washing clothes, I’d say it’s almost certainly more dirty.

We had to go with a smaller washer and dryer due to needing them under counter, as a result we ended up going with a condensing dryer. Although it takes quite a bit longer to dry clothes, what I find is the clothes once dry don’t have that fried feeling, they are always soft and it doesn’t seem to wear clothes out as much as the standard heat blast dryer

unit 10-07-2019 11:56 AM

i only seperate bright colors if they are new-ish, then after a few washes everything goes together.

if it's wool then it's a hand wash, but i rarely ever wear those items and even more rarely ever wash them.

athletic apparel always gets hung to dry.

winson604 10-07-2019 12:49 PM

The wife handwashes A LOT but it isn't because she believes it's cleaner but due to the fact she buys a lot of delicate clothing that can either only (based on the tag) be dry cleaned or hand washed.

Where it does but me though she dries a lot of stuff on the rack and things that clearly can be put in the dryer such as dri fit sports clothing for example. I can understand if there's a cotton shirt you don't want to shrink but otherwise I don't have time to take everything out piece by piece and hang to dry that's crazy!

As for separating clothing only when it's new. Especially if it's from a lesser brand like a Old Navy or something like that the bleeding can be pretty bad and for sure you'll fuck up some of your white clothes but after a few washes I just mix.

Hondaracer 10-07-2019 01:17 PM

Also it’s pretty unsightly imo having fucking clothes drying everywhere, drives me crazy

roastpuff 10-07-2019 01:18 PM

Everything is machine washed except for those items marked "hand-wash or dry-clean" and then quick-dry stuff and merino wool stuff gets hung dry, all others go into the dryer. Delicates go into those laundry bags... if I remember.

Mr.HappySilp 10-07-2019 01:30 PM

I always hang dry my clothes expect underwear and socks. Just seem such a waste of electricity but hang dry only takes a day and my clothing last longer .

Euro7r 10-07-2019 01:42 PM

I went through good couple weeks of hand washing my clothes as my washing machine broke down, while I looked for a new one. Hand washing is tedious work and so tiring.

I just throw everything in the washer, mixed whatever. Don't care too much about the clothes as most of it is regular work clothes or sports/at home clothing.

Mr.Money 10-07-2019 02:00 PM

expensive crap demanding dry cleaning i do and wash like 10 minutes just shaking the bucket or whatever container and then run it under cold water to get the soap out....def good to get the sweat out of it after wearing it in a hot summer day.
sucks but has to be done with expensive crap....anything else like those cotton armoni exchange or boss hugo t-shirts i don't give a damn and wash it in the machine...

StylinRed 10-07-2019 02:38 PM

Machine wash, undies, socks, and whites I'll put em in together, and wash em in hot water

Wool/cashmere I'll either get dry cleaned, or wash by hand, at the end of the season

Hehe 10-07-2019 03:00 PM

It's just we have some crazy rate for dry cleaning here in Canada. Otherwise I'd just dry clean all the clothes that either can't machine wash or tumble dry.

I fly often between TPE/YVR... and my suitcases used to go empty or I don't bring one. Lately I've found good use of them to haul all the winter coats, sweaters... etc to dry clean in Taiwan... a coat here is 30-80bucks depending on material... in TW is 300-800NTD... a CAD is worth about 23NTD today.

Heck, I even now have the laundromat in TW to do all my laundry now as I don't have a dryer in my condo. 230NT per load (and it's a big one), they not only wash, and dry... even iron and fold all my clothes and undies nicely and separate them by colors :fuckthatshit:

For about 10bucks every 2 weeks or so... I think it's worth every penny.

MG1 10-07-2019 05:00 PM

I go to the laundromat almost every day............. at least two places.

As for clothes, I trek down to Still Creek and wash my clothes on the rocks. The old fashioned way. The only way to get the dirt out. Best is when hot chicks are down there in their spandex bending over to wring out the clothes................. damn.

BTW, this "thread" is full of win!

I thought most of RS would get mommy to do their laundry.

RiceIntegraRS 10-07-2019 06:01 PM

Everything in the same pool with the extra rinse option. I dont have time to seperate whites, colors, socks, undies, work clothes, workout clothes, and going out clothes. I never hang dry any of my things, before i did and sometimes my clothes would give off a weird smell, like old towel smell like it wasnt dried properly. Anyways i always make sure i set enough time on the dryer to ensure my clothes are dry

Badhobz 10-07-2019 06:07 PM

Peasants. I send my servants to do my laundry.

Okay fine I just throw it all in and hope for the best. Wife gives me shit nonstop.
I just dry clean all my business clothes and her fancy stuff. Place in Richmond I got to is a good deal. 25 bucks for a full suit and 1 shirt.

tiger_handheld 10-07-2019 06:14 PM

what is hand wash?

you wash hands before loading the machine? why?

danned 10-07-2019 09:40 PM

all i thought hand wash is ancient thing to do
now still ancient thing to do handwash?

underscore 10-08-2019 11:33 AM

The only thing I run separate is sheets, towels, and anything that has oil and grease on it from working on the cars. Everything else gets chucked in there and washed on the same mode. My clothes, wifes clothes, bras, baby clothes, everything, and we've never had a problem. I buy cheaper stuff and it still lasts forever so I don't see a benefit to hand washing socks and underwear when they're the cheapest thing you can buy.

I never got the whole coloured clothes vs whites thing either. Maybe in the old days colours would bleed more but I've never heard of anyone actually have that problem.

Bouncing Bettys 10-08-2019 12:59 PM

Hand wash your woman's yeast infection panties if you want, I'll stick to washing machines.

Obsideon 10-08-2019 03:54 PM

I toss everything in the wash, normal mode, eco-warm water. Never really knew what the difference between eco-warm and just warm, never bothered to look it up haha, it just says eco so I figure I'm being more eco-friendly lol

I haven't had any new clothes bleed colour for I can't even count how many years. I think most clothing nowadays are pre-bled or just higher quality?
I hang my favourite and more expensive clothing, the rest get tossed in the dryer.

The last time I ever handwashed anything was when I was on vacation, got food poisoning and shart my pants. :pokerface:

Hondaracer 10-08-2019 04:29 PM

Also in terms of not using a dryer, there are calculators online that say a 3000W to 5000W dryer used daily will only cost you $75 a year.. probably less for HE ones..

I’ll take spending the $100 a year over my house looking like a laundromat every day.