REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-13-2020, 05:18 PM   #51
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,064 Times in 555 Posts
^holymoly....

but yea... I am sure it will be at MSRP for years to come... and will be more of a, if you wanna buy, this is how many hoops you will have to jump thru, if you dont want to jump? we have a line up anyways, so you can go away llooooolololol or smth to that effect lolol
Advertisement

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:18 PM   #52
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,025 Posts
^ Considering the regular Rav4 hybrid was going for MSRP for awhile and they couldn't make it fast enough, I doubt anyone can get a significant discount on the Prime.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:27 AM   #53
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Canadian pricing is out!

https://postmediadriving.wordpress.c...-incentive-cap

All should qualify for the $5000 federal and $1,500 BC subsidy.

That premium package is $$$$$$

According to that article, it would be worth it to spend the money and fly to Quebec, buy the SE, and even ship the car over here..... providing we can take advantage of the Quebec incentives of course
cdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:51 AM   #54
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
^ Considering the regular Rav4 hybrid was going for MSRP for awhile and they couldn't make it fast enough, I doubt anyone can get a significant discount on the Prime.
I put a deposit on a Rav4 XSE Hybrid last month. They told me even for that, I need to wait till September before they expect it to be ready for me. They were still filling XSE orders from May when I ordered in July.

I thought about getting the Prime, but was told it would be at least a year minimum, so I went with the Hybrid instead of the Prime.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:56 AM   #55
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdizzle View Post
According to that article, it would be worth it to spend the money and fly to Quebec, buy the SE, and even ship the car over here..... providing we can take advantage of the Quebec incentives of course
You'd have to be a resident, usually, so I'm gonna say no you won't be able to take the Quebec incentive.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:01 AM   #56
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

so only the base model RAV4 Prime SE qualitfy for $5,000 Fed. rebate ?
not XSE ??

Last edited by Bender Unit; 08-14-2020 at 10:08 AM.
Bender Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:24 AM   #57
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,188 Times in 2,411 Posts
the XSE qualifies as well https://tc.canada.ca/en/road-transpo...r-izev-program
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2020, 06:01 PM   #58
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akinari View Post
Hate Tesla interiors with a passion, especially the Model 3. I've seen the Model Y on the road and it looks like Tesla took the Model 3 and pressed the zoom in button a few times, the proportions are so embarrassingly awkward.

I'd take the RAV4 Prime over the Model 3 or Y in a heartbeat.

I've driven a Model 3, nothing special. I for sure will never own a Tesla, even if I'm shopping for an EV.
Buying a Tesla is buying into the experience itself.

I have a 2019 Model3, and the car is already a different experience now vs. when I took delivery. The constant OTA update makes subtle improvements that over time, changes the driving experience completely.

Many might feel that a Rav4 PHEV is closer to what they consider a car. Some might consider that an advantage, because you still just fill up the gas and go and have everything you'd expect it to have on day 1.

However, I see that as what one's accustomed to now that I've gotten fully used to EV. It doesn't take long really. Many complains about Model3/Y not having any buttons. Your old dumb phone has a lot of buttons, I'm quite sure you don't miss any of them. It has a bit of learning curve or getting used to Tesla... but after a few days, once you get their design philosophy in UI, it's very simple and one hardly ever need to go deep into the menus because almost everything is auto. Auto wiper, auto light, auto lock... etc.

Coming back to what I said about my Model3 today vs. delivery was different. That's the MAJOR difference IMO. With a car like Rav4... even it's the newly updated version... it'd be just like that... it's pretty much the same the day you take delivery and 3-5yrs down the road.

Tesla makes improvements with software update and my car, vs a my2018, or even the newest my2020 isn't all that different. We all get to enjoy the latest features, whereas with a Toyota, if my2022 made some improvement over my2021, unless you trade in for a my2022, you are stuck to what you have. And one of the reason I strongly prefer to lease is because I get car fatigue easily... I wouldn't want to drive the same car everyday for over 4yrs.

Yeah, I'm a Tesla owner and shareholder, so I might be biased af... but really, after owning the Model3, I have 0 intention of going back to any other legacy manufacturer except an exotic like Ferrari or Lambo to fulfill a childhood dream... otherwise our next car is a ModelX and when Cybertruck starts to deliver, it would just become the first time my family owns 3cars instead of 2.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:21 PM   #59
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Many complains about Model3/Y not having any buttons. Your old dumb phone has a lot of buttons, I'm quite sure you don't miss any of them. It has a bit of learning curve or getting used to Tesla... but after a few days, once you get their design philosophy in UI, it's very simple and one hardly ever need to go deep into the menus because almost everything is auto. Auto wiper, auto light, auto lock... etc.
until the screen/chip shits the bed
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2020, 10:42 PM   #60
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,924 Times in 3,877 Posts
^ that happened in my inlaws new truck, with 200km on it. It still had some buttons so it wasn't completely useless but they had to wait a month or something for a new one.

Quote:
Many complains about Model3/Y not having any buttons. Your old dumb phone has a lot of buttons, I'm quite sure you don't miss any of them.
Maybe I'm in the minority but I miss every one of them. Touch screens have some great uses but the one major flaw they can never get away from is you have to look at it to interact with it. For me that's no bueno when I'm driving, especially when I get near Chilliwack and I need recirc ASAP.

Quote:
Tesla makes improvements with software update and my car, vs a my2018, or even the newest my2020 isn't all that different. We all get to enjoy the latest features, whereas with a Toyota, if my2022 made some improvement over my2021, unless you trade in for a my2022, you are stuck to what you have.
Can you opt out of that, or pick and choose the changes? For younger people I could see that as a plus, but I know my grandparents wouldn't put up with a vehicle that has things changing.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:24 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore
Maybe I'm in the minority but I miss every one of them. Touch screens have some great uses but the one major flaw they can never get away from is you have to look at it to interact with it. For me that's no bueno when I'm driving, especially when I get near Chilliwack and I need recirc ASAP.
I agree. It's a personal preference. But for many things in Tesla that you might want to do, you can do it via voice command (activated by a "button" on the steering wheel. )a la Siri/Google Assistant... that's down to the wiper speed... and yes, the accuracy is pretty much on par with Siri/Google.

Again, I think it's about getting used to it. Once you get it, it's actually quite hard to go back. I now just voice command everything like temp/volume/wiper speed.

Quote:
Can you opt out of that, or pick and choose the changes? For younger people I could see that as a plus, but I know my grandparents wouldn't put up with a vehicle that has things changing.
Yes... I believe except bugs fixing/internal improvements, all new functionalities are add-ons where you have to choose to enable it. And all old settings are still in place in case you don't like it.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:37 PM   #62

Thanked 8,924 Times in 3,877 Posts
I rarely if ever use voice commands so my experiences is only with the terrible old ones that don't work, how well does it handing swearing generously mixed into the commands?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 03:32 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I rarely if ever use voice commands so my experiences is only with the terrible old ones that don't work, how well does it handing swearing generously mixed into the commands?
I think much like Siri/Google, it tries to pick up keywords. If you make it too complicated, yeah... it's not going to take. Other than that... it's pretty good at picking up commands...

If you are used to using Google Assistance/Alexa... it's basically the same thing, but only to control your Tesla.

And the list of keywords are laid out here

https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/...omand-jan-2020
Old 08-15-2020, 11:27 PM   #64

Tesla should just give in and learn to accept AA/CP

i dont see why i need to tell my car to turn on the wipers if it's already auto or takes half a second flick rather than shout over music and hope it got the command?

or if i'm in a call/conversation, do you have to menu dive then to turn on the ass warmer?

minimalism doesn't always equal simplicity/convenience
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2020, 11:44 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
Tesla should just give in and learn to accept AA/CP

i dont see why i need to tell my car to turn on the wipers if it's already auto or takes half a second flick rather than shout over music and hope it got the command?

or if i'm in a call/conversation, do you have to menu dive then to turn on the ass warmer?

minimalism doesn't always equal simplicity/convenience
As I already said, it's auto everything. If you want to prompt the wiper to wipe regardless, there's a lil button that you press to wake it/do a quick wipe.

The whole system is very intuitive once you get how Tesla reason everything in its UI. I've yet to run into something that I need right away and have to "dive into" the menu while driving.

The way I see it of having a Tesla is the same way I felt when I got my iPhone (the original). Something I've been doing forever... it's now done differently... and whole lot better.

If you are going to tell me that you don't like anything of your smartphone, and wish they've stick with dumb phones, it's your personal preference. But if you take a look at design concepts in Benz, Audi, Range Rover... etc, they are all moving toward the same direction Tesla is doing with their own touches here and there. But at the center is always the touchscreen.

The only explanation for that is the same thing that Steve Jobs said when he announced the first iPhone. When you are constrained by the buttons layout, there's only so much you can do with the device. And when you change it to a good touch screen, where interface changes as its application sees fit, you can do whatever you want.

A Tesla infotainment system can play games, watch youtube, Netflix, browsing, Caraoke... etc. You can't do that with a bunch of buttons and something I hate with a passion, those stupid touch-trackpad found on Bimmers, Benz, Audi, Lexus... etc.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:55 PM   #66
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,439 Times in 5,111 Posts
Why would anyone want their car to play Netflix or be a karaoke machine... it's just showy gadgets that you can put on some lame commercial where a couple saves their marriage or some shit by driving to a scenic lookout and putting a fire log oh the screen to cuddle and everyone goes "awwwwwwwww" and then promptly never ever ever does that with their car.

I prefer no screens at all... none... I just want to drive and feel the steering and brakes and hear the engine.

I don't want to play a video game that resembles driving.

That's just me I guess though.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2020, 12:16 AM   #67

that's the issue with tesla; theyre a tech company and treat it like a consumption device

wtf is it important to have a whoopie cushion prank? give me directions, music/podcasts, maybe data logging but nothing more. Simple 8" touch molded into the dash with vol knob, hvac separate physical buttons for tactile sens so I dont have to look at it like a stupid ipad when my attention should be on the road. Until we hit full autonomous, why should i be boxed into a floating tablet? i dont care which direction range rover/bmw is going with interior tech (okay OLED is nice, but their designs do nothing for me)

i guess out of turn in a rav4 thread but even if they came out with the new roadster 1/4 the cost, it's unlikely to result in a purchase. It's gonna be blistering quick. What else? will it have any focus on driving engagement? or will they rather pour resources into delveoping the thrusters?
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2020, 12:19 AM   #68

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Why would anyone want their car to play Netflix or be a karaoke machine... it's just showy gadgets that you can put on some lame commercial where a couple saves their marriage or some shit by driving to a scenic lookout and putting a fire log oh the screen to cuddle and everyone goes "awwwwwwwww" and then promptly never ever ever does that with their car.

I prefer no screens at all... none... I just want to drive and feel the steering and brakes and hear the engine.

I don't want to play a video game that resembles driving.

That's just me I guess though.
Maybe when you're stuck at the ferry with a 2 sailing wait. The great thing about a Tesla is it has a huge battery so you can run the A/C, heat, or anything else with the engine off.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:19 AM   #69
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Some things don't translate well to driving. Modern phones are great and work well... when you're not driving. You used to be able to punch out a text with one hand without taking your eyes off the road. Same thing thing with current infotainment systems... you can pack a lot more features into the touch screen and that's fine... when you're not driving. When I'm driving, I just want to turn a knob to adjust the volume and not have to take my eyes off the road to see if I'm touching the right spot on the screen.
Old 08-17-2020, 11:52 AM   #70
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
Same thing thing with current infotainment systems... you can pack a lot more features into the touch screen and that's fine... when you're not driving. When I'm driving, I just want to turn a knob to adjust the volume and not have to take my eyes off the road to see if I'm touching the right spot on the screen.
Totally agree. Yesterday I was trying to figure out how to reply to a text using the F150's sync system. Hitting the various buttons and scrolling through the various menus was just as distracting as if I had just grabbed the phone and sent the text from that. Probably worse, because I don't use it often (the wife dailies the the truck) and never get used to the system so I'm always fudging my way through.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 03:14 PM   #71
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Couple of years ago, I rented a Model S while I was out in Vegas to see how it's like. I counted 3 taps to get the sunroof open... WHY! Just about every other car out there, you reach up and pull on the switch.

Even after installing Openpilot in my car, I still don't like taking my eyes off the road when I drive. Until cars no longer come with steering wheels, I prefer buttons over a touch screen.

Old 09-24-2020, 05:49 PM   #72
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Any new info on the prime?
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 04:38 PM   #73
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Just came back from Toyota. The salesperson said the Prime is about $60k area with a waiting list and said to check out the non prime model which is around the $40k area.

https://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/build-price/rav4-prime
Prime SE - $44990
PRIME XSE - $51590

Which choice did you guys go for?
Thanks
KingVR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 05:56 PM   #74
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,188 Times in 2,411 Posts
Went with a 2010 RAV4 Limited V6 and cancelled my pre-order for the Prime.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2021, 06:02 PM   #75

i know it doesnt help if you need it soon but they're announcing their full electric crossover next month, based on the e-TNGA with subaru