REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 12-10-2019, 07:10 AM   #1
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Retro gaming

I've been trying to find some retro game stores where I can buy a specific N64 game, Snowboard Kids 2, which I've had no luck so far.

Places I've tried:

Press Start - New West
Game Deals - New West
Willow Video - Langley + Abbotsford
Gamers Choice - Surrey

I don't venture into the Vancouver area that often so I'm not sure of any game stores in that area other than the ones that show up on google - EB games, Best Buy, The Source, etc. A lot of the ones that pop up are more focused on D&D style stuff.

Are there any stores that you might know of that I've overlooked and may be a good spot to call and visit?
Advertisement
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:15 AM   #2
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,123 Times in 179 Posts
I've had reasonable luck with Game Deals, but them, like all these stores are hit and miss if you are looking for a specific older game. I've been buying a bunch of SNES games off ebay if I can't find them locally.
immorality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by immorality View Post
I've had reasonable luck with Game Deals, but them, like all these stores are hit and miss if you are looking for a specific older game. I've been buying a bunch of SNES games off ebay if I can't find them locally.
My girlfriend ordered this game off Ebay from someone months ago and all she got was a cheap knock off that didn't even work. It wasn't worth her time or effort to go through the process to return it and try to get her money back so she just took the loss which wasn't very much. It was her favorite game growing up and we play a bunch of games together so I've been trying to find this game to stick in as a stocking stuffer for quite some time, if possible of course. If not, her birthday is less than a month after Christmas.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:43 AM   #4
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,353 Times in 5,655 Posts
Vancouver flea market has quite a few retro game sellers however some may just be the stores you’ve already gone to.

Generally the people are morons who won’t budge on their prices at all, but it’s worth a shot for a specific game. Snowboard kids has a spot in my heart as well, great game
Old 12-10-2019, 02:39 PM   #5
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
What game are you looking for? I have a friend in Surrey who is always wheeling and dealing retro games, he might be selling it.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:35 PM   #6
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
cloverdale/vancouver flea market?

facebook marketplace?

theres a bunch of fake/clone n64 games on ebay that work just like the real thing. i remember paying something like $25ish each for a clone copys of mario party 1-3 which is dope af on n64 lol

if you got the $$$ get a everdrive and you can download/store every game into cartridge/card.

https://krikzz.com/store/home/30-everdrive-64-v25.html
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
What game are you looking for? I have a friend in Surrey who is always wheeling and dealing retro games, he might be selling it.
The game is Snowboard Kids 2. If you know someone selling it please let me know 😊

She tried a clone knock off from eBay and it's just a black screen. Dont want to waste time ordering another online and give it to her obly for her to plug it in and get a dud.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:53 PM   #8
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
The game is Snowboard Kids 2. If you know someone selling it please let me know 😊

She tried a clone knock off from eBay and it's just a black screen. Dont want to waste time ordering another online and give it to her obly for her to plug it in and get a dud.
My friend doesn't have it but he told me to check out the BC Retro Gamer Zone group on Facebook and it looks like there's a guy from Edmonton that is selling his collection via that group, Snowboard Kids 2 being one of the games as of November 17. Looks like he wants $300 for it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/763499290340362/
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:04 PM   #9

Wow!
Thanks for finding that Jmac!!

Can't tell if 300 is worth it or not. I've never played it. We saw it at Willow Video a year ago for 60$ but she never bought it. After she saw it she bought the original game and we play it just about every other day. She thought the first one was the one she loved, which she does, but the 2nd one it the one she remembers the most growing up.

It's doubtful I'll ever make it to the vancouver flea market so I'll see if my dad can go one weekend and send him a picture of the game and see if he can find it there for a but cheaper than 300.

I'd be willing to try another amazon/eBay version so long as it's guaranteed to work..
Old 12-11-2019, 12:21 AM   #10
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,817 Times in 8,191 Posts
$300 seems insane unless it's sealed in a box (and in that case as soon as you open it, it's down to its actual value of $20 or so)

Good on Jmac for finding a copy, but god damn

Keep looking brother... I'd try ebay again, this time make sure you do a better job of scrutinizing the seller
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-11-2019, 04:19 AM   #11
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
i remember a bunch of us nerds were sitting waiting in line at bestbuy downtown talking about If Nintendo 64 mini was ever coming out or if they would sell Rumble pak's separately as an add-on.

i'm hoping for that day,the carts are expensive as fuck,and it would be nice just to upload roms on to it.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
i remember a bunch of us nerds were sitting waiting in line at bestbuy downtown talking about If Nintendo 64 mini was ever coming out or if they would sell Rumble pak's separately as an add-on.

i'm hoping for that day,the carts are expensive as fuck,and it would be nice just to upload roms on to it.
It would be def nice to have a blank cartridge I can upload roms to. I do it for my Wii just to save space in our place.. we've way to many video games but that's what we like, the physical cartridge/disc. Makes for awesome nerd sessions when some friends or my nephews come over.

Walked to Willow Video yesterday to browse and ended up at the mall and bought a new Tamagotchi for the girlfriend haha.

My search for this game will continue!!
Old 12-11-2019, 08:06 AM   #13

Tempted to sell my retro collection with some of these prices out there..
Old 12-11-2019, 09:31 AM   #14
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,045 Times in 2,078 Posts
Wish I had kept all my old stuff. I had Atari back in the early 80’s. Moon Patrol and Pitfall ftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:06 AM   #15
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Might be just better off buying an everdrive 64 cartrage. That way you will have all the games.

https://retrosaga.ca/collections/eve...=9606620119155
Old 12-11-2019, 10:40 AM   #16

Everdrives seem somewhat soulless but it’s definitely a cost effective way to use real hardware
Old 12-11-2019, 11:18 AM   #17
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Might be just better off buying an everdrive 64 cartrage. That way you will have all the games.

https://retrosaga.ca/collections/eve...=9606620119155
At that point a PC or Raspberry Pi running an emulator with N64 controller to USB adapters seems an easier/cheaper option.

1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:39 AM   #18

N64 emulation is garbage though. For some reason it’s never been even close to perfected due to how hard it was to program N64 games I believe
Old 12-11-2019, 03:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Tempted to sell my retro collection with some of these prices out there..
N64 carts are hitting that age where the buyers have money and nostalgia, a perfect combo for peak prices. Same thing happened to SNES and NES before it, but prices have since stabilized. If you're gonna do it, do it now!
Old 12-11-2019, 03:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
N64 carts are hitting that age where the buyers have money and nostalgia, a perfect combo for peak prices. Same thing happened to SNES and NES before it, but prices have since stabilized. If you're gonna do it, do it now!
Yea I think I might as well, keep a handful. Most of my carts are ones I bought about 8-10 years ago and virtually none besides a few game boy games are originals from my childhood so they are probably better off financing something I will use than sitting in my closet
Old 12-11-2019, 04:04 PM   #21
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
I've been trying to find some retro game stores where I can buy a specific N64 game, Snowboard Kids 2, which I've had no luck so far.

Places I've tried:

Press Start - New West
Game Deals - New West
Willow Video - Langley + Abbotsford
Gamers Choice - Surrey

I don't venture into the Vancouver area that often so I'm not sure of any game stores in that area other than the ones that show up on google - EB games, Best Buy, The Source, etc. A lot of the ones that pop up are more focused on D&D style stuff.

Are there any stores that you might know of that I've overlooked and may be a good spot to call and visit?
Mostly Games in Port Coquitlam is worth a visit. I'll buy my more common games from there since it's cheaper than eBay's prices after shipping. Some of their more rare games are overpriced. I feel like those are more for display and to draw people into the store rather than actually selling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Yeah it's ridiculous how expensive some of these cartridges have become. I enjoy having the physical copy of the game but I've settled for the Japanese variants which are a fraction of the price. I purchased Donkey Kong 64 for 680 Yen when I was in Japan last month. In Vancouver it's an easy $40-50 game. Swap out the backs with a common game like NFL Quarterback Club and it plays fine.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:08 PM   #22

IIRC you just have to cut a tab out of the cartridge slot on the N64, and Japanese games will then fit right in. I might be thinking of a different console though.

Edit: yup, I remember doing this. Just cut these chunks off and you're GTG

Old 12-13-2019, 06:49 AM   #23
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
Quote:
It would be def nice to have a blank cartridge I can upload roms to. I do it for my Wii just to save space in our place.. we've way to many video games but that's what we like, the physical cartridge/disc. Makes for awesome nerd sessions when some friends or my nephews come over.

Walked to Willow Video yesterday to browse and ended up at the mall and bought a new Tamagotchi for the girlfriend haha.

My search for this game will continue!!
thats what the everdrive is. pricey but I mean u could put every n64 game into one cart and just play off that.

been debating selling all my old n64 games and get one myself
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 10:31 PM   #24
in the butt

Thanked 3,223 Times in 1,185 Posts
picked up a ps2, dragon seeds and dark cloud, hit in the face with 15 year nostalgia

6 hours later and its 2am

10/10

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 11:42 AM   #25

Selling my collection of retro games if anyone is interested, not going to be parting out at the moment but could strike a deal for the lot if anyone is interested

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van...083634302.html