REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Find Me a Commuter Car (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716756-find-me-commuter-car.html)

JDMDreams 01-25-2020 10:13 PM

Find Me a Commuter Car

Hi guys and probably the 2 girls on here,

I recently unloaded my German SUV as I need to commute about 80km minimum for work daily. It will be about 90% highway driving unless I do other errands. So I'm guessing I'll probably be driving around 600km a week.

Any suggestion on what to get? Budget will be $3 to 5k. But I am willing to spend up to $10k if my other car sells. I don't really have a set number now. I would prefer a mt as less to break and better fuel mileage.

I'm mainly looking for fuel efficiency, aiming for 30 mpg or more if possible. However, I do want something that is semi comfortable for the long commute and I'm coming from a German car. Not really about the because race car life due to vis and I have other toys for that purpose. But I might do light mods.

I've been looking into Fits, GTI, maybe Civic Si? But I don't really want a sedan. Kinda want a Fiesta St but they ask for stupid money. Or a hybrid? Or even diesels? But I know nothing about them as I never had one.

Any suggestions or feed back? Thanks!

:accepted:

underscore 01-25-2020 10:17 PM

Highway or city commute? Something like a Yaris or Matrix should fit the bill.

twitchyzero 01-25-2020 10:42 PM

automatics been getting just as good if not better fuel economy for the last 15 year

well-built/reliable AT doesn't die during the average ownership...whereas a clutch job is simpler but not considered cheap if you're looking for vehicles under $5000

should also prioritize seat comfort/anti-NVH measures if you're doing that kinda mileage

BIC_BAWS 01-25-2020 10:49 PM

The fit is slow as fuck. You're gonna shoot yourself trying to merge on to highways.

Unfortunately, if fuel economy is a priority, CVTs do a pretty bang on job on that. My 2015 Civic, although the CVT is loud and older than the new generation, I still got about 31-54mpg to Seattle. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...8d7d1f80af.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Jmac 01-26-2020 01:07 AM

I’ve been doing what you’re planning to do for the past 6 years, except 115 km/day. I used to have a 2002 Honda Civic LX and found it to be uncomfortable for frequent long trips. I changed to a 2006 BMW 325xi sedan which is certainly much more enjoyable and comfortable to drive, but obviously more expensive to operate. Both manual transmissions.

If you plan on doing this for a long time, I’d get something that satisfies in all respects (comfort, enjoyment, reliability, fuel economy, engagement). I like my BMW when it’s working, but repairs and fuel costs make it a love/hate relationship due to the amount of driving I do.

I’ve been looking for something to replace it for a bit now, but haven’t found the perfect fit.

320icar 01-26-2020 10:02 AM

Should have posted this last week, would have sold you my focus SVT for cheap. It ticks every box except maybe 6spd manual would be lame in rush hour

AstulzerRZD 01-26-2020 10:27 AM

Bit of a lowdown on hybrids:

- Their city mileage is fantastic (regen braking + electric motor operation)
- Their highway mileage is mediocre especially if it has a smaller engine.
- The Toyota/Ford system is very reliable; even if something goes wrong, battery packs can be replaced pretty easily DIY.
- The Honda IMA system in Insight and Civic are quite unreliable and seem to like to chew through battery packs

I think if I were in your spot, I'd want to look for something quiet, comfortable, and perhaps with full speed adaptive cruise.
I know the last thing I'd want is to arrive home beat up from the drive and too tired to take care of myself.

One car that I've really enjoyed on 6+ hour Ontario road trips is the Mk VII Golf - the in cabin noise is very hushed with the felt door seals and suspension drives like it's a much larger & stable car.
The 1.8 is very torquey and relaxed but also easily gets 6L/100km out of one even at 140kmh.
My only concern would be powertrain reliability - I've heard that the rear main seal and PCV can sometimes fail on the EA888.

Funny enough, Volkswagen lets you set cruise control speed down to 15 km/h? so maybe adaptive cruise wouldn't be as big of a benefit vs. standard cruise in traffic.

Of note, the "cheapo" 2015+ Jetta 1.4T also felt quite quiet, stable, and torquey.

Not sure how finances are looking but total cost to own could also be something to keep in mind. I have a feeling that Camry and Lexus ES hybrids are suddenly going to be very in demand by Uber drivers.

TopsyCrett 01-26-2020 10:35 AM

Get a pre-owned Diesel Mercedes E300, or a Diesel Jetta / Golf. 1000+ KM per tank.

Badhobz 01-26-2020 11:05 AM

answer is always corolla

fliptuner 01-26-2020 12:02 PM

Beige Corolla for low operating costs, good fuel economy, invisible to cops.

For comfort, reliability and good fuel economy, I'd say 07ish Camry XLE, hybrid

Excellent fuel economy, heated seats, manual tranny, Mk4 Jetta TDI

bcrdukes 01-26-2020 12:58 PM

I guess the better part of a Corolla is that you can't really mod it. :lol

BIC_BAWS 01-26-2020 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8972391)
I guess the better part of a Corolla is that you can't really mod it. :lol

Corolla Hatch is pretty sweet modded

https://www.carscoops.com/wp-content...a-1024x555.jpg

whitev70r 01-26-2020 01:01 PM

Here you go

2011 GTI, 184K kms, DSG, $7300
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds...052877702.html

fully loaded with leather and NAV
- timing chain tensioner just replaced ~$1600 (these NEED to be replaced before 200k or potential engine explosion)
- DSG transmission serviced at 157xxx km
- BC Local Vehicle
- Car comes with roof racks
- Tires are 40%
- Brakes is good shape
- Comes with VW Monster Mats ~$170

320icar 01-26-2020 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitev70r (Post 8972393)
Here you go

2011 GTI, 184K kms, DSG, $7300
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds...052877702.html

fully loaded with leather and NAV
- timing chain tensioner just replaced ~$1600 (these NEED to be replaced before 200k or potential engine explosion)
- DSG transmission serviced at 157xxx km
- BC Local Vehicle
- Car comes with roof racks
- Tires are 40%
- Brakes is good shape
- Comes with VW Monster Mats ~$170

yes. a 4 door gti dsg is the perfect commuter car when you also enjoy driving. what a fantastic suggestion

whitev70r 01-26-2020 01:49 PM

... why thank you. The price is decent too (next 4 Dr GTI is listed at $3000 more). And with the major services done, assuming no major accidents ... this is a good buy.

JDMDreams 01-26-2020 02:30 PM

Do dsg eventually need clutches replaced? My dad had a dsg car before and we're always worried about the transmission crapping out. And also the $500+ dsg oil and filter service every 50k km.

Are vw any good? I've never had any. Only German I had were BMWs and Benz. And every time something comes up it's an easy 4 digit repair. I'm not sure if vw is any cheaper to repair or as stupidly designed with all the electronic sensors. :heckno:

nsx042003 01-26-2020 02:36 PM

Honda Fit, or a civic

320icar 01-26-2020 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDMDreams (Post 8972402)
Do dsg eventually need clutches replaced? My dad had a dsg car before and we're always worried about the transmission crapping out. And also the $500+ dsg oil and filter service every 50k km.

Are vw any good? I've never had any. Only German I had were BMWs and Benz. And every time something comes up it's an easy 4 digit repair. I'm not sure if vw is any cheaper to repair or as stupidly designed with all the electronic sensors. :heckno:

a stock golf is usually quite reliable. theyre built incredibly solid. go drive a 3 year old focus ST or a 13 year old golf GTI and the vw will feel so much better. everything is well engineered and ages very well.

most maintenance items on a golf can be easily tackled by a weekend mechanic like most people on this website, especially with all the write ups on the internet. i wouldn't hesitate too much on a vw, but i would not say the same for audi/merc/bmw

Badhobz 01-26-2020 04:01 PM

3 years so far on my mk7 golf sportwagen and it hasnt blown up yet. only thing that went wrong was the panoroof drainage duct. got that replaced after only 1 year of ownership.

DSG feels like its gonna break soon though. I havent done the DSG service yet, but its coming up soon. im at 46,000kms so probably next next oil change ill take it in for that.

Things im worried about
- DSG
- carbon build up
- turbos blowing up

but so far so good, knock on wood.

twitchyzero 01-26-2020 07:11 PM

are most DCTs built similarly?

heard they are not good for daily, any truth to that?

JDMDreams 01-26-2020 07:49 PM

I think dct > cvt? In terms reliability? But I dunno about the longevity of a 10 year old dct with like 150k kms. It seemed like no shop wanted to touch dcts few years back when we had one. Most info I found was from forums on the states but not much regarding service or spare parts in Canada.

Ronin 01-26-2020 08:07 PM

As a former GTI owner (actually still sort of a current GTI owner), I'd recommend it.

I hate driving the Honda Fit. It's like driving a minivan without being able to fit 7 people or things in it. I also hate the Fiesta as it is by far the cheapest feeling car I've driven ever.

If you can find a MK6 GTI for under $8k, that's the one to go for.

JDMDreams 01-26-2020 09:42 PM

^^ what transmission do you have? Would you recommend dsg or Mt? Dsg for some reason on paper gets better mpg and is faster, but then you have to worry about the dsg exploding any day. But dsg farts doe:considered:

danned 01-26-2020 09:45 PM

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/8f/0e...a7cab3c683.jpg

fliptuner 01-26-2020 11:02 PM

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/nvn...062624724.html