REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 01-30-2020, 11:50 PM   #1
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
Northern Lights / Yellowknife

Anyone been there?
Anything to do? eat?
Two pairs of gloves, pants, layers and a heavy parka. Toque + maybe a balaclava. Hopefully my luck is good. I'm also going to do snowmobiling so we'll see if there is any time to kill.

Tripod is a must for trying to at least take pics. Any other tips?
Advertisement
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:59 AM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,419 Times in 917 Posts
My relatives have a family restaurant that was owned and passed around my family for the last 30+ years or so.

I'm curious as to whether their food is good or not haha.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mark...a2cf9b1278ee,1,,,

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:48 AM   #3
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I've been up to Whitehorse, Yukon a few times. Not super close to Yellowknife but similar conditions.

Went to see the northern lights and also sledding. Didn't have time to go snowmobiling or ice fishing.

For the northern lights, see if there's a tour operation that'll take you out of the city, so you can avoid the city lights?

For Whitehorse, there's a few of those--they drive you out to a campsite / lodge outside of the city.

- If possible, go at least more than one night to check out the northern lights, as it can be hit or miss (intensity, frequency, etc.)
- When not taking pictures, remove your camera battery and keep it with you--I was there during -39 and the camera shut down b/c the battery was too cold
- Check with the tour company but most should also have extra tripods--the one I went with had a bunch--likely won't be as nice as your own, etc.
- Some of the touristy stuff they'll provide you with winter wear, but it's probably better to bring your own--when I went sledding they gave me a loaner jacket, gloves, etc.
- If you are in a cabin with some type of heating, take off your boots and warm up your feet that way. Leaving super cold feet in your boots means your feet don't warm up when it's -30 or lower.

Hope this helps. I had lots of fun and really enjoyed my time there.
prolepsis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2020, 04:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
My relatives have a family restaurant that was owned and passed around my family for the last 30+ years or so.

I'm curious as to whether their food is good or not haha.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mark...a2cf9b1278ee,1,,,
I just went by thsi place; honestly, there are only 1 street with traffic lights so its not too hard tosee where it is. WIll check it tomorrow.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2020, 08:05 PM   #5
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
Make sure you try the Hung Yun Gai

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:14 AM   #6

Yellowknife is legit cold.
Must do
1) You need to hire a tour to take you to see the lights. Don't just go and drive hoping to see it.
2) Must rent proper clothing; you need to rent proper gather insulated boots + crazy fleece pants / jackets specific for arctic. You can't just wear the cheap Old Navy jackets. This is where Canada Goose comes in. Out of 250 people, there were only 2 people who didn't rent. Your regular mittens are useless.
Some mainland china girls thought a canada goose jacket is all you need; you can clearly see their toes and boots completely useless.
Guy from Hong Kong thought just wearing timberlands + socks are good; game over. He was stuck inside the teepee fire trying to dry his toes the 3 hours he was there.
3) Tripod + manual mode is a must. Selfie sticks + cell phone are dead after 15 minutes.
4) As prolepsis said, taking out your battery to warm it up is the only way. The only issue I had is the issues with the quick release for the tripod. Pain in the ass.

I did the dog sled + snowmobile. If you have never done the snowmobile, it's ok. Dog sled was also brief; the most important thing is for ice fishing. This one I didn't do, but I was told you just watch people fish; they pre-lure the fish hours before and by the time you go and check it out, they will pull up the line. Sometimes there's 2, sometimes the line has 20 of them.

Lastly, its all luck, I am not a photographer and I wasn't able to get the best pictures, btu I was super super lucky to be able to see it the 1st night; second night. ZERO luck.

PS: tax is only 5% so if you want to buy Canada Goose (non black label) / diamonds, its the way to do it here.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2020, 12:08 PM   #7

My cousin runs a tour up in Yellowknife. They include dog sledding + snowmobiling which is super fun up north. Open snow and you can hit top speed.

They also provided Canada goose + other clothing.

What was the company called? Maybe it's the same one.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 02-06-2020, 06:36 PM   #8
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
I'm planning to do this with my cousins this year. When is the best time to go up? October-February? What is the estimated cost if we fly up from Vancouver. I assume 3 days is plenty?
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
My cousin runs a tour up in Yellowknife. They include dog sledding + snowmobiling which is super fun up north. Open snow and you can hit top speed.

They also provided Canada goose + other clothing.

What was the company called? Maybe it's the same one.
I met TONS of asian chicks up there; most of them are sponsored to get their PRs.

Aurora Village tour is who i went with. Local NWT owner and operator; SUPER legit. Too much to share, but 90% of tours are routed to them

FYI: not my pics.
You get to stay in these teepees and there's a fire inside. You get to stay warm at -36 + wind chill and it's truly amazing. All you can drink hot water / tea / hot chocolate.

What was amazing is this; their tour area has 5 zones, some with teepees, hills, plains... so you get to take pics of different areas.

**** Because it is a legit tour guided operation, they all radio each other, so when there is a sighting, we all get radio-ed to go have a look.

If you don't plan on joining the tour, good luck waiting on the side of the highway.

On the second night; we ought like $200 dollars worth of snacks. Totally legit partying going on (no booze)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
I'm planning to do this with my cousins this year. When is the best time to go up? October-February? What is the estimated cost if we fly up from Vancouver. I assume 3 days is plenty?
Do not go during November, this 2019, they didn't have sightings 4 days in a roll.

This is what i would do if you are flexible.
1) Do try to fly direct flights only. YVR - calgary / edmonton / yellowknife is a KILLER. it's 5 hours and assuming you can transfer right on time.
2) Hand carry is a bitch, usually they offer free check in once you're inside.
3) hand warmers are maxed out at qty 7, any more, security check point will take them away if you're bringing them via hand garry.
4) those battery power packs vest are all useless.
5) You need insulated boots rated -30C because you'll be standing outside for 3 hours.
6) STAY AT QUALITY INN, because its right at downtown core. If you stay anywhere else, good fucking luck getting a cab or walking 25 minutes to eat a bowl of pho. (Hotel Nova / Explorer were 20 min walk, days inn was 10 min).
A&W beside, Pho + chinese food + Black Knight bison burger is walkable.

7) I would stay for 3 days, 2 nights and then ADD on another night if you aren't lucky and forecast says there is a strong sighting the next day.

The tours starts at 8:30 PM pick up and ends at 12:30, takes 40 minutes to go to the northern lights village.

You won't wake up until 11AM due to just wanting to sleep in.
1) I did the city tour museum, city hall
2) dog sled
3) snowmobile + camp fire 9(free)+ slide (free)

Not to shit on your bubble; what you see in the camera is epic, your eyes on the other hand.... will only see a light glaze... Don't expect it to be fireworks light show....

Last edited by 6793026; 02-06-2020 at 09:46 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2020, 10:11 AM   #10

Cousins is called Aurora Dream Tours haha. Also locally NWT owned and operated. They struggle to find employees so they have to outsource to Asia to find people who wanna live in that cold weather.

Good pay + free housing/food too.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 08-17-2023, 08:53 AM   #11
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Definitely don't go now!!! NWT is burning!!!!!!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north...t-16-1.6938756
bokch0y is online now   Reply With Quote