REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Does anyone buy third party car insurance (ie. BCAA)? If so, how much do you pay? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716826-does-anyone-buy-third-party-car-insurance-ie-bcaa-if-so-how-much-do-you-pay.html)

PeanutButter 03-16-2020 01:22 PM

Does anyone buy third party car insurance (ie. BCAA)? If so, how much do you pay?

Hi RS,

I'm renewing my car insurance in a month and a colleague told me to check out BCAA.

Has anyone used them before and why did you go with them? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to try a third party instead of going with ICBC.

My concerns are if the coverage is actually the same and what happens during a claim, is that process easy or difficult...

My colleague said he saved about $350, which seems to be just enough to get me to think about it.

Obviously, I could just go into BCAA, but it's easier to ask here first.

Thanks!

ssjGoku69 03-16-2020 01:35 PM

Have you tried their quick estimate tool yet?
https://www.bcaa.com/insurance/auto-quick-quote

I'm gonna check them out for the first time too when my insurance expires this summer, but other websites suggest that any savings (if any) will obviously vary depending on the person and vehicle.

Claim centers prefer ICBC insurance since there is a website dedicated for making claims quick and easy.
BCAA claims would be performed over email which in or course have a delay

IMASA 03-16-2020 05:59 PM

I'm with BCAA but I am still under the old system, I had the 43% discount, -20 tier level, etc, basically maxed out under the old system.

For me, everything was cheaper with ICBC, except for the new car cost replacement coverage. ICBC was $5XX, BCAA was $15X. Because of that alone, I went with BCAA.

Not sure if I'm looking forward to renewing next month. My df is 0.535.

hud 91gt 03-16-2020 06:12 PM

My insurance just ran out. My insurance went from 2100 last year with ICBC, to 2500 as my wife now has to be listed under the new rules. BCAA wouldn’t insure my wife (single claim 2 years ago), so I deleted her from my plan and now pay $1900 with BCAA. Only thing is, she can NEVER drive my vehicle. Which is fine by me.

l2_narain 03-21-2020 09:23 AM

I saved $200 bucks with BCAA when I switched over in January which comes to $19xx a year I pay.

stewie 03-21-2020 10:53 AM

My insurance had expired yesterday and normally I go with BCAA. All their locations are closed and after using their phone service I opted to get a call back when available. 4 hours and no call so i was forced to quickly go elsewhere as they were closing soon. Difference would've been around 500$. They called me shortly after I just finished buying from elsewhere..
They're also unable to directly give you the insurance sticker but for now you don't need it as it'll show up in cops systems that its registered. Has to be mailed to you which can take a week.

Amazing how my insurance went from 2k last year to 2600 this year with nothing changing. Never been in an at fault accident, never had a ticket, I've a perfect driving record...

Also, if you choose to use BCAA make sure you're at your computer and have a printer and scanner ready. They have to email you first and you need to reply asap just writing you give consent to them to pull open your driving record. Then they'll email you the work and you sign off and scan and email back. Will probably take an easy 30+ min

ssjGoku69 03-21-2020 12:07 PM

For my upcoming insurance renewal ending mid-April.

My optional insurance w/ ICBC = $1,534. (I claimed a windshield replacement in summer 2019)
The BCAA quote for optional insurance (inclusive of the $101.24 membership discount) = $918.75

That is a $615.25 savings. both are $300/300 with ~$3M liability.