REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-16-2020, 01:22 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,751 Times in 700 Posts
Does anyone buy third party car insurance (ie. BCAA)? If so, how much do you pay?

Hi RS,

I'm renewing my car insurance in a month and a colleague told me to check out BCAA.

Has anyone used them before and why did you go with them? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to try a third party instead of going with ICBC.

My concerns are if the coverage is actually the same and what happens during a claim, is that process easy or difficult...

My colleague said he saved about $350, which seems to be just enough to get me to think about it.

Obviously, I could just go into BCAA, but it's easier to ask here first.

Thanks!
Advertisement
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 01:35 PM   #2
I don't get it

Have you tried their quick estimate tool yet?
https://www.bcaa.com/insurance/auto-quick-quote

I'm gonna check them out for the first time too when my insurance expires this summer, but other websites suggest that any savings (if any) will obviously vary depending on the person and vehicle.

Claim centers prefer ICBC insurance since there is a website dedicated for making claims quick and easy.
BCAA claims would be performed over email which in or course have a delay

Last edited by ssjGoku69; 03-16-2020 at 01:42 PM.
ssjGoku69 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2020, 05:59 PM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
I'm with BCAA but I am still under the old system, I had the 43% discount, -20 tier level, etc, basically maxed out under the old system.

For me, everything was cheaper with ICBC, except for the new car cost replacement coverage. ICBC was $5XX, BCAA was $15X. Because of that alone, I went with BCAA.

Not sure if I'm looking forward to renewing next month. My df is 0.535.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2020, 06:12 PM   #4
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
My insurance just ran out. My insurance went from 2100 last year with ICBC, to 2500 as my wife now has to be listed under the new rules. BCAA wouldn’t insure my wife (single claim 2 years ago), so I deleted her from my plan and now pay $1900 with BCAA. Only thing is, she can NEVER drive my vehicle. Which is fine by me.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2020, 09:23 AM   #5
RS controls my life!

I saved $200 bucks with BCAA when I switched over in January which comes to $19xx a year I pay.
l2_narain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:53 AM   #6
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
My insurance had expired yesterday and normally I go with BCAA. All their locations are closed and after using their phone service I opted to get a call back when available. 4 hours and no call so i was forced to quickly go elsewhere as they were closing soon. Difference would've been around 500$. They called me shortly after I just finished buying from elsewhere..
They're also unable to directly give you the insurance sticker but for now you don't need it as it'll show up in cops systems that its registered. Has to be mailed to you which can take a week.

Amazing how my insurance went from 2k last year to 2600 this year with nothing changing. Never been in an at fault accident, never had a ticket, I've a perfect driving record...

Also, if you choose to use BCAA make sure you're at your computer and have a printer and scanner ready. They have to email you first and you need to reply asap just writing you give consent to them to pull open your driving record. Then they'll email you the work and you sign off and scan and email back. Will probably take an easy 30+ min

Last edited by stewie; 03-21-2020 at 10:58 AM.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2020, 12:07 PM   #7
I don't get it

For my upcoming insurance renewal ending mid-April.

My optional insurance w/ ICBC = $1,534. (I claimed a windshield replacement in summer 2019)
The BCAA quote for optional insurance (inclusive of the $101.24 membership discount) = $918.75

That is a $615.25 savings. both are $300/300 with ~$3M liability.
ssjGoku69 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: