REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   How will car dealerships be affected from the Virus? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716829-how-will-car-dealerships-affected-virus.html)

bcedhk 03-18-2020 01:44 PM

How will car dealerships be affected by the Virus?

For those who work at dealerships, how has the pandemic affected or not affected your monthly sales? Are there plans to do deep price cuts and incentives for the summertime to recuperate the loss?

68style 03-18-2020 02:25 PM

Translation: “Will I be able to benefit from your collective suffering for my upcoming purchase?”

SkinnyPupp 03-18-2020 02:54 PM

This is the most Revscene thread ever

S1 S2 03-18-2020 03:07 PM

I came in thinking you were asking of the well being of the employees in dealerships :rukidding:

dorian 03-18-2020 03:42 PM

I can tell you that Jan and Feb were pretty awful when it comes to used car sales but March so far has been great ! Best 2 week period in the past 12 months. I dont think the new car dealers have been real busy though.

UnknownJinX 03-18-2020 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dorian (Post 8978601)
I can tell you that Jan and Feb were pretty awful when it comes to used car sales but March so far has been great ! Best 2 week period in the past 12 months. I dont think the new car dealers have been real busy though.

Actually I could see that, seeing that people are worried about taking public transportations everywhere.

Jmac 03-18-2020 05:52 PM

People also worrying about paying rent/mortgage, though.

I was seriously considering buying a car, but I’m glad I have a bunch of money in the bank right now.

AstulzerRZD 03-18-2020 07:08 PM

I'm curious about a couple things....

1. How this will affect the typical bro cars that hold their value really well (Wrangler, Tacoma, WRX/STi, Charger/Challenger 6.4/Hellcat).

2. How this will affect new medium priced sports car like the C8 Vette and the Supra.

I noticed that during the last recession, Porsche sales actually increased.

trollface 03-18-2020 07:24 PM

Gm is offering 0% 7 year finance. You tell me how they're doing.

Every 16 year old kid will have a new car next year.

see.lai 03-18-2020 08:04 PM

For those wondering about the service side, VW has been slowing down lately. But I'm sure it'll pick up again once this is all over. We've had a lot of no-shows or cancellations too.

Harvey Specter 03-18-2020 08:28 PM

LoV sold 3 cars in the past few days which were sitting around for months and weren't discounted by much. I think one reason for the purchases is the 10% federal luxury tax which was suppose to be introduced with the 2020 Budget looks like it won't be happening until next year. You also have to factor in that a lot of new cars will be delayed and buyers with factory orders will probably have to wait months to get their cars especially if it's an European car so dealers will try to unload cars they already have.

I still think we'll see discounts and decent drop in the high end market but time will tell.

GS8 03-18-2020 08:33 PM

Just walk in while wearing this shirt. They might cut you a deal...

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/c...g?format=2500w

CorneringArtist 03-18-2020 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by see.lai (Post 8978638)
For those wondering about the service side, VW has been slowing down lately. But I'm sure it'll pick up again once this is all over. We've had a lot of no-shows or cancellations too.

Booking at my Toyota dealership has actually held steady to the point that people are telling me that this virus is no big deal.

The amount of actual bookings is down, but the phonecalls to get in sure as hell aren't.

!LittleDragon 03-18-2020 09:36 PM

My V8 already has a flat curve

danned 03-18-2020 09:51 PM

people should produce virus-free vehicles!!!

punkwax 03-18-2020 09:57 PM

I’d bet bcedhk has more tp than you do.

toyota86 03-18-2020 10:35 PM

Where I work, half the staff is not showing up. Rumor is that someone got sick after going to Whistler. Other half that showed up is doing extra work. It is busy despite many cancellations, no shows, and a drop in traffic. Lots of make work projects as well. Owner is determined to hold out until ordered to close. No discounts, no incentives, no changes, business as usual. Taking the pretend everything is fine approach.

bcedhk 03-18-2020 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punkwax (Post 8978665)
I’d bet bcedhk has more tp than you do.

https://i.imgflip.com/3t6fiv.jpg

anti-vip 03-19-2020 06:21 AM

In the boat biz here, Been busy lately. People buying boats and outboard motors. Guess its better to self isolate out on the water. Service is busy too 3 weeks out for booking.

GIZZ 03-19-2020 08:45 AM

Also on the service side. We usually average 80-90 appointments on a weekday, yesterday we had just 50. I've noticed lots and lots of people walking in with no appointment so it almost balances out. If they can't go to work them come get their car serviced. What I really hate and saw up until yesterday was people coming in visibly sick, so many people hacking and coughing, the one woman was sweating. People are finally getting a clue, stay home if you're sick.

We will see this Saturday, Usually 100-120 cars roll through the shop. I'm guessing we won't see 100.

trollface 03-19-2020 09:05 AM

You guys are not refusing service to ppl that are SICK AF?

GIZZ 03-19-2020 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trollface (Post 8978728)
You guys are not refusing service to ppl that are SICK AF?

We've had sign on the door since last week telling them to please stay out if you're sick. Nobody reads it and of course everyone is too polite to say get out. I've been asking to put somebody at the door in full gear to screen those about to come in, no such luck.

I talked to the one customer, sick as a dog and he said the virus will only affect those with weak immune systems. I asked his what he does for work, he works at the hospital!!!

Yesterday I told a guy if he couldn't maintain distance with me he had to leave. I don't think anyone wants to be on the news refusing service to somebody, you know how things get twisted.

UnknownJinX 03-19-2020 09:52 AM

That's fucked up...

I mean, if I have to go to a dealer for whatever, I will probably have to take a lot of precautions. If I am showing symptoms for a flu, then I am staying home for sure.

underscore 03-19-2020 10:30 AM

My friend that works at an oil change place says they've been super busy. People seem to want to get a bunch of service done before everything shuts down, forgetting that if everything shuts down there's nowhere for them to need to drive to anyways.

GLOW 03-19-2020 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68style (Post 8978580)
Translation: “Will I be able to benefit from your collective suffering for my upcoming purchase?”

https://www.revscene.net/forums/cust...tar31445_2.gif