REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Working from home, quarantine, & social distancing discussion thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716830-working-home-quarantine-social-distancing-discussion-thread.html)

sonick 03-19-2020 07:04 AM

Working from home, quarantine, & social distancing discussion thread

Wanted to start a thread to share and discuss how everybody is handling working from home, self-quarantine, or social distancing. Share tips and tricks, etc.

It's only been 3 days but has felt like a week. The team seems to be keeping in touch and social with zoom meetings.

We're intentionally meeting up before huddle just to chat, or setting up a public room during lunch to socialize.

I've cleared out my man cave to make space for a yoga mat and a few weights to do bodyweight and light dumbbell exercises in lieu of the gym.

How else is everyone else adjusting?

Also, I've seen a bunch of breweries and liquor stores in Vancouver offer delivery, but does anybody know of places that service Richmond?

Infiniti 03-19-2020 07:47 AM

Working from home + two daily calls with my team

on a side note: my K/D ratio is seeing improvement

Badhobz 03-19-2020 07:52 AM

its annoying as fuck.

i did a run this morning at 7am to keep away from people. i got my laptop setup and airpods ready for calls, but im having cabin fever already. not sure how you guys are doing but its getting bad.

Acura604 03-19-2020 07:57 AM

i work from home 3 times a week...but now its 5 times a week...

too many distractions...but i've re-subbed to WoW for lunch hour excursions.
I dont' bother hooking up the corporate laptop since all our technologies are cloud based.

https://i.imgur.com/78D4ktx.jpg

Hondaracer 03-19-2020 08:02 AM

I also recently started playing WoW classic so that’s a good time burner lol..

Fyi..better hope your TV/internet services are up and working because there may be a time shortly where there will be no installations or repairs.

Great68 03-19-2020 08:05 AM

I've been working from home since Tuesday. Nothing new to me, as I've worked from home every now and then in the past. I can do all of my job functions at home, the only thing that's a bit more difficult is keeping track of what my subordinate team members are up to, if they need help etc. Before I could just float by casually to get an update, now it's a formal phone/skype call.

I kept my son home from daycare today, which has added an extra challenge trying to keep a 3 year old occupied. I know once he gets tired of watching paw patrol he's going to start getting antsy and productivity is going to decline. But I make up for it by having another work session in the evening.

bcedhk 03-19-2020 08:14 AM

my left arm is sore and i'm low on jergens.

Jokes aside, I am tempted to buy another computer monitor to make working at home easier. It's hard to read spreadsheets on my 13" laptop all day.

Tapioca 03-19-2020 08:22 AM

Both my wife and I are working from home. We've both been told to stay home indefinitely.

We have two kids under the age of 5 whom we've pulled from daycare. The nice thing about having two kids is that they can play with each other for short periods of time.

My neighbours don't seem to be taking it seriously though. They're over at each other's houses and some are still working on sites, etc. I guess the only way you take it seriously is if you get sick. My relatives are on the front lines so I'm getting information about what's really happening that hasn't been reported.

Great68 03-19-2020 08:24 AM

^Yeah I agree, I couldn't be productive just using my work laptop screen.
I have its docking station hooked up to the secondary inputs on my home PC's monitors.

quasi 03-19-2020 08:24 AM

Day 4 for me, I always had the ability to work from home but I feel I get more done in the office. I find it hard to stay focused at home although I'm getting through it. The biggest annoyance is my son will play games talking to his friends and he's so fucking loud, a few times a day I have to threaten to turn it off.

I have been going outside in the backyard with the dogs a few times a day tossing the ball around so that I'm enjoying. I'm going to make an effort to get outside and throw the football around with my son, I think he's going stir crazy.

Liquid_o2 03-19-2020 08:26 AM

Working from home as of Tuesday. Day 3... tired of sitting at my kitchen table. Wish I had a home office, but my wife and I live in a 1 bed condo.

Our work has closed the office for the rest of the month. There will be a reassessment later next week.

Going for lunchtime walks helps, especially when it is sunny. Wife is a nurse, so at least it is quiet during the day!

Dragon-88 03-19-2020 08:35 AM

Try to stay slightly active, do some squats,push ups and jumping jacks, just get the blood flowing. It worth setting 2-5mins aside every 3-4 hours just for a quick activity.

I've been riding my motorcycle everyday, for an hour or two looking for new backroads.. Therapy at its finest..

I'm on Team A this week at work so i'm in the office, but I typically just work till 12 and go for a ride. Next week I'll be fully WFH for the week, but this also give me time to keep up with my hobbies..

sonick 03-19-2020 08:40 AM

Adjustments I've made to cope with WFH in the long haul:

Used to standing desk at work, helps with getting too stiff/tight on my hips and back.
https://i.imgur.com/ound8Oo.jpg

Cleared out man cave and set up a yoga/fitness room with a kettlebell and a few dumbbells:
https://i.imgur.com/az19PyL.jpg

Ducdesmo 03-19-2020 08:46 AM

Been WFH for the past 2 weeks, but now that the kid is out of school, my focus and productivity has definitely gone down the drain. Been exercising in my backyard and will probably start doing early morning jogs. Tried afternoon jogs, but there are lots of people around as everyone is trying to do the same.

winson604 03-19-2020 08:52 AM

Always had the ability to work from home but still in the office. My work has been classified as essential services and while 50% of our office is working from home the other's are in. If I worked from home right now I would get zero things done, wife is still on mat leave and we got a 10 month and a 5 year old at home. There actually isn't that many bodies in the office at any given time right now and there have been a ton of measures put into place to ensure it's as clean and safe as possible. I''ll probably start doing like a half and half but there's also a very real chance I'll have to be deployed to the Vancouver Emergency Operations Centre anyway.

GIZZ 03-19-2020 08:54 AM

I know a guy, his wife wasn't tested but has a fever, flu like symptoms, went home sick last Thursday. He had a fever Monday, goes home for lunch and comes back feeling ok, he got a tooth capped Wednesday. She called 811 and they said she likely has Covid19 and to self quarantine. They still share the same bed, even the same damn toothbrush. He is still going to work. I'm yelling at him saying self quarantine means exactly that, he says he feels fine. fug

He's telling me he feels fine and it's a conspiracy and hoax. Ok Donald Trump. Ironically he is on his works safely committee. I texted his boss about him to not let him go to work. What do I do? Call the cops on him??

SSM_DC5 03-19-2020 08:58 AM

^Put bleach in his morning coffee.

HonestTea 03-19-2020 09:23 AM

I've been working from home for the past 3 weeks and it's great. Keep in touch with the team daily and weekly huddle ups.

CorneringArtist 03-19-2020 09:30 AM

lol the fuck is social distancing, I'm still going into work like nothing is wrong? Work in a dealership, people are still coming in for service as normal "to beat possible closure" and "to support the dealership despite thinking about cancelling", booking appointments as if nothing is wrong, and coming for car detailing.

Fucking oilchanges and detailing can wait. Jesus Christ. And it's people that are most vulnerable to the virus that are insisting on showing up.

underscore 03-19-2020 10:19 AM

https://www.shutupandtakemymoney.com...ntine-meme.jpg

I've had the ability to work from home for quite a while so it's not too different, my computer at work has slightly bigger screens which is nice but not a big deal. No commute saves me about an hour a day. My family is a bit of a distraction sometimes but less so than my coworkers interruptions so I'd say I'm more productive so far.

CorneringArtist 03-19-2020 10:31 AM

I've heard from customers dumb enough to come into my workplace, but working from home still get dressed as if they're going to work to avoid distraction.

Might be weird to wear a suit at home, but it helps some of them out.

sonick 03-19-2020 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorneringArtist (Post 8978746)
Might be weird to wear a suit at home, but it helps some of them out.

Definitely having a routine and making an effort to actually dress like an adult helps getting into a 'work' mindset.

It also sets good boundaries so it doesn't feel like work hours bleed into non-work hours.

Presto 03-19-2020 10:38 AM

First day WFH. Did my normal routine, but put on my PJ bottoms instead of pants. Because video conferencing.

hud 91gt 03-19-2020 03:19 PM

My wife is working non stop with this junk, while my work is becoming non existent as the days go by. I’ll have to step up the Househusband lifestyle. This week I’ve been cooking up a storm. I had to go in to work today, so I stopped in at a metal supplier and I’m making a workout station in the garage (TRX mount and pull-up bar). Besides groceries, I should be good for months. Pretty happy we didn’t have Netflix all winter as we have some catching up to do.

SkinnyPupp 03-19-2020 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8978742)
https://www.shutupandtakemymoney.com...ntine-meme.jpg

I've had the ability to work from home for quite a while so it's not too different, my computer at work has slightly bigger screens which is nice but not a big deal. No commute saves me about an hour a day. My family is a bit of a distraction sometimes but less so than my coworkers interruptions so I'd say I'm more productive so far.

That's me.. Nothing has changed whatsoever LUL

Worked from home anyway, and the gym in the afternoon is dead enough that I can still go. I take hand sanitizer and clean my hands after every change in equipment. Some people wear masks to the gym, which I could never do. I thank them