REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 05-29-2020, 04:10 PM   #1
Need to Seek Professional Help

Kitchen cabinet re-facing

We're trying to re-face our 80's kitchen cabinets. Has anyone here done this before? Looking for shop recommendations or door suppliers as I can do the labor/install.

If I can find a shop that could supply the doors, thats even better. that way I could save quite a bit on labor.

A contractor from Lowe's is coming over on Monday and I think I already know what to expect price-wise as he gave me an idea over the phone...which I think is a little too much. (number of drawers x $200)

Any input is appreciated. thanks
Advertisement
Old 05-29-2020, 04:50 PM   #2
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,428 Times in 483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iambuRnz View Post
We're trying to re-face our 80's kitchen cabinets. Has anyone here done this before? Looking for shop recommendations or door suppliers as I can do the labor/install.

If I can find a shop that could supply the doors, thats even better. that way I could save quite a bit on labor.

A contractor from Lowe's is coming over on Monday and I think I already know what to expect price-wise as he gave me an idea over the phone...which I think is a little too much. (number of drawers x $200)

Any input is appreciated. thanks
Can you pm me some photos of Ur current set up and what style or type of doors you'd like to replace them with?
Might be able to help =)
Fafine is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2020, 07:35 AM   #3
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafine View Post
Can you pm me some photos of Ur current set up and what style or type of doors you'd like to replace them with?
Might be able to help =)
instead of PM can yall share on here.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2020, 03:41 PM   #4
I am Hook'd on RS

If they are european cup hinges, should be an easy reface, if they are face frame mounted(you can see the hinges), little more challenging. Of course you'll have to paint/laminate all other exposed fillers, panels, etc...

What do you have now and what do you have in mind?
wickedxj is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2020, 11:46 PM   #5

Im not sure what type of hinges they are but theyre similar to ikea ones... which are pretty easy to adjust/install. The cabinets have a wood trim on the face frame.. which i might have to either replace or cover it with something.

We wanted to paint everything white (inside and outside of cabinets) and then replace all the doors. I'm pretty handy so I figured if i could get someone to make me the doors.. the install part is pretty straight forward. I just couldnt justify paying someone almost $200/door.. (at least thats what I was quoted over the phone.)

During our recent trip to lowes, the wife really liked the white shaker style door out of all the options they had. We just wanted a little upgrade on these dated cabinets.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:04 AM   #6
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Following. I’m interested to do something similar.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:19 AM   #7
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,400 Times in 5,672 Posts
Quote:
Im not sure what type of hinges they are but theyre similar to ikea ones... which are pretty easy to adjust/install. The cabinets have a wood trim on the face frame.. which i might have to either replace or cover it with something.

We wanted to paint everything white (inside and outside of cabinets) and then replace all the doors. I'm pretty handy so I figured if i could get someone to make me the doors.. the install part is pretty straight forward. I just couldnt justify paying someone almost $200/door.. (at least thats what I was quoted over the phone.)

During our recent trip to lowes, the wife really liked the white shaker style door out of all the options they had. We just wanted a little upgrade on these dated cabinets.
So I had these same cabinets in my last apartment and they were literally falling off the hinges, mainly due to this rediculous old style hinge (I can’t tell if yours are the same but they look like it from memory) also the hinge you have pictured has obviously been retro fit as they either said fuck the old hinges like mine or it just stripped out the frame holes and couldn’t hold any longer

I can pretty much build/fix anything and for the life of me I could not get new hinges to work on these doors. So in your case replacing the doors and getting new hinges may work but Jesus Christ I tried like 4-5 different hinge styles, milled my hinge holes on the doors bigger etc and still they barely worked

I basically left the new buyer with superrrrr sketchy hinges but they worked well enough to sell the place lol
Old 06-03-2020, 07:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
So I had these same cabinets in my last apartment and they were literally falling off the hinges, mainly due to this rediculous old style hinge (I can’t tell if yours are the same but they look like it from memory) also the hinge you have pictured has obviously been retro fit as they either said fuck the old hinges like mine or it just stripped out the frame holes and couldn’t hold any longer

I can pretty much build/fix anything and for the life of me I could not get new hinges to work on these doors. So in your case replacing the doors and getting new hinges may work but Jesus Christ I tried like 4-5 different hinge styles, milled my hinge holes on the doors bigger etc and still they barely worked

I basically left the new buyer with superrrrr sketchy hinges but they worked well enough to sell the place lol
I lurk RS enough that Im 95% sure Ive seen you post on the real estate thread that you used to live here on this building.

Yeah, the wife and I are getting a little tired of looking at these cabinets. We were going to do a full kitchen make over.. but due to certain events, I suggested to just re-face them. Being such a cheap ass, I just want someone to make me doors and i can do everything else.. hopefully i dont run into the same problem as you did. Im also a glazier by trade so that should help me a little.

ALSO: little update.. lowes' contractor quoted me $4k for everything. white mdf pvc shaker style door. he had the measurements at 60 sq.ft.

Im not really sure if thats expensive or not.. its the only quote i had so far.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:51 PM   #9

Does your building have a workshop in the basement? If it’s the same one you gotta get dat key and utilize it, it’s amazing for painting etc.

On the pricing, man, that sounds pretty pricey just for doors. So we did our entire kitchen which has 28 cabinets, some with glass faces and a few drawers etc in the most expensive style they have (Bodbyn Grey) and all the cabinets, hardware etc. Was somewhere around 10k for everything (around 15k total with quartz counter tops)

With that said when I mentioned this to my wife she said she got a quote from Home Depot prior to me living there on the same cabinets you pictured and they quoted 4K as well to re-cover them all and repair the hinges etc.

So yea.. their work costs some $$$ but in the end saves you some headaches and if you guys can paint the boxes yourself that will update the look as well

Edit* sorry for the IKEA kitchen however I did 100% of the work myself though literally did every aspect down to plumbing and electrical without having to hire Somone. Only thing I didn’t do for that price was measure and install the counters.

Last edited by Hondaracer; 06-03-2020 at 07:58 PM.
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:21 PM   #10

Yeap. Workshop on P3.

The quote was actually for everything. similar to what your wife got quoted before.. Re and re of doors, some small skin replacements on the sides... even installing the door pulls will be provided for free (given that i have them on site on the day of install.) All done in half a day i was told.

I'll try to get a couple more quotes from different companies but it sounds like thats a pretty standard price.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:40 PM   #11

Yea that’s not bad then and it will likely last the entire time you remain there
Old 06-08-2020, 01:26 PM   #12
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

I replaced my kitchen cabinet door with cheap thermofoil door many years ago in my condo

I gave all the door dimensions to a kitchen cabinet place and they just make new thermofoil door to the same dimension.

It was like $700-$800 for all the doors and they were quite easy to replace. (swap the euro hinges, measure and screw new holes to cabinet frame)

The really hard part was replacing the edge banding and the exposed panels for the frame tho

I think swapping the door took me half a day, but the edge banding and side panel for the frame took me 3+ days
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2020, 06:57 PM   #13

That looks good! Mind sharing the company you ordered the doors from?
Old 06-09-2020, 01:43 PM   #14

Nothing wrong with that although like you said doing the fine detail finishing can take some time and can be a PITA without the right tools
Old 06-09-2020, 01:50 PM   #15
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I did thermofoil for my apartment kitchen as well. It's cheap and looks good. One draw back is that it is sensitive to heat. For example a couple of my door panels are starting to shrink and fold in because of how close it is to the flames of the gas stove. Be careful of bread toasters and steam from kettles because they will also shrink the laminate on the doors as well.
vash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-09-2020, 01:55 PM   #16

Quote:
That looks good! Mind sharing the company you ordered the doors from?
Unfortunately I did that in Toronto so don't think that will help you.

Pretty sure most kitchen cabinet companies can do that tho. It was a very generic thermofoil door. (The cheapest kitchen door you can get)

FYI ikea kitchen is cheap if you don't mind DIY. (I did that in my new house)
I'd probably just get all new cabinet from ikea if I were to do it again.
I think it is less work to put in all new ikea cabinet than to replace all the edge banding. (downside is you probably need to replace your countertop too if you get new cab)
This post thanked by:
Old 06-09-2020, 01:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash13 View Post
I did thermofoil for my apartment kitchen as well. It's cheap and looks good. One draw back is that it is sensitive to heat. For example a couple of my door panels are starting to shrink and fold in because of how close it is to the flames of the gas stove. Be careful of bread toasters and steam from kettles because they will also shrink the laminate on the doors as well.
luckily my door didn't have that problem.
The cabinet frame melamine was peeling where it is near the stove tho!
Old 06-09-2020, 04:49 PM   #18

Oh ok. Maybe ill ask around local shops.
You got custom door sizes from Ikea? The guy i spoke with said that they dont do custom sizes. He said they all came pre-made and gave me a book with all the sizes. If they did, Id buy everything I need there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferra View Post
Unfortunately I did that in Toronto so don't think that will help you.

Pretty sure most kitchen cabinet companies can do that tho. It was a very generic thermofoil door. (The cheapest kitchen door you can get)

FYI ikea kitchen is cheap if you don't mind DIY. (I did that in my new house)
I'd probably just get all new cabinet from ikea if I were to do it again.
I think it is less work to put in all new ikea cabinet than to replace all the edge banding. (downside is you probably need to replace your countertop too if you get new cab)
iambuRnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:40 PM   #19

They don’t do custom
Old 06-09-2020, 08:55 PM   #20
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

This is where my contractor got my cabinet doors from.

https://www.eurorite.com/

Port Coquitlam
vash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-10-2020, 05:58 PM   #21
I am Hook'd on RS

If you guys are looking for thermofoil doors, try M&J woodcrafts. We haven't done a kitchen with thermofoil in years mind you.

Try J&S doors for most other styles, and they can paint in house.

I can lend someone a tool to drill the euro cup style hinges if they were interested.

If you're serious about a reface, PM me, I can point you in the right direction or maybe make doors in house for you depending on size...
wickedxj is offline   Reply With Quote