REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-01-2020, 01:33 AM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,751 Times in 1,182 Posts
What car option for a year or two?

So our family van lease is coming to the end by Aug.

We currently also have a Tesla Model 3, which we love, and already pre-ordered the Cybertruck tri-motor, which we do plan on getting after some serious thoughts.

The original idea was that between lease end and the time our Cybertruck to be delivered, we'd be looking at least 2, or even 3 year (the tri-motor was originally planned for late 2022 delivery) and so we'd just do another 36mth lease and have maybe a few month overlap in the worst case scenario.

Now with the whole CT tri-motor moving a year earlier, I'm not so sure what my best option is. There's a big chance that the CT would arrive halfway of the usual 36mth we do.

So, what is my best option now?

Take out a sub-24mth lease

Take over a lease that's about 2yr or less?

Or any other ideas?

We need a car for family, so a comfortable 4seats+4dr is bare minimum, no sport cars or anything coupe. Budget is roughly $800 per month although not hard limit as we can always add money to make the payment to stay at that figure. (wife's work perk pays for her car up to $800)However, with the plan to buy the CT outright, I really have little incentive to spend too much on this interim car unless it's really a much better deal. Buying anything at this time seems even less practical.
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2020, 02:01 AM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Why not buy and sell vs lease and penalty for cancelling early
Old 06-01-2020, 06:50 AM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Do you need the cyber truck right when it comes out? Why not just lease for 36 months and then get a cyber truck when your lease is up.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-01-2020, 08:40 AM   #4

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
keep an eye out on CL for a lease transfer? I've seen a lot of Q5's and X3's under your budget with 20 month - 30 month left
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-01-2020, 09:31 AM   #5

Basically if we lease, wife's work pays for it.

If we finance, the work still pays, but less. This route is ok if it's a car we want... say a CT. But to finance now and trade-in or whatever by the time CT gets here, I don't think it's the most financially sound option as we might end up losing a lot of money between cars.

If we buy outright (as in using our own vehicle), it's from our pocket and wife gets reimburse on a higher rate on a per KM basis for depreciation and gas. But we ran the numbers a while back, it didn't make too much sense as wife specifically chose clients who are close by in order to reduce commute. By going this route, we get paid even less.

I did some quick estimate only and it seems that 24mth lease is no go as the residual value isn't too great and we'd end up paying a lot more (proportionally) than say a 36mth lease.

Thus, I guess taking over leases are the way to go?
Old 06-01-2020, 09:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post
Do you need the cyber truck right when it comes out? Why not just lease for 36 months and then get a cyber truck when your lease is up.
We love our Model 3 and can't wait to get the CT to arrive.

The point of the thread is mainly discussing an interim vehicle that I know I'd only have a year or 2. And given how wife's situation is, how to MINIMIZE our expense for this interim car.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:50 AM   #7
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
whats the wife do that yall ballin outa control with a Model 3 and CT.....

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-01-2020, 10:55 AM   #8
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
like i said in the CT thread
Elon Musk did not even pick where they're gonna build the factory yet so dont make concrete plans around what's still a vapourware
my pre-order is meant to replace my parents aging toyota so that'll have to do for a few more years if long term reviews are favourable
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-01-2020, 02:41 PM   #9
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
Elon Musk did not even pick where they're gonna build the factory yet so dont make concrete plans around what's still a vapourware
Couldn't agree more with this -- don't make concrete plans around what is still essentially vapourware.

Just get on with a normal lease on something that you like, and pick out your options sensibly with an eye towards easy re-sell. If the vapourware truck comes before the lease on the new vehicle expires, you can always just do a lease transfer to get out of the then old vehicle.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-01-2020, 05:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
like i said in the CT thread
my pre-order is meant to replace my parents aging toyota so that'll have to do for a few more years if long term reviews are favourable
Besides being a Tesla owner, I'm also an investor. I think Tesla is very different now than it was when it made Model 3.

And if you pay attention on why Model 3 was delayed, it was because EM wanted an almost fully automated assembly line, something which wasn't very effective with the design of Model 3.

EM learned a thing or 2 from that experience which led us to the highly controversial design of Cybertruck. Machine likes straight lines, as it's way more efficient in robot arm to have straight lines. Of course it was to save on cost (sans paint shop, which Munro estimated to be a 500M USD easy), but in short, I don't think the CT would have similar delay to the Model 3 because that thing has cost saving a minimal manufacturing processes written all over. Tesla is also becoming extremely efficient and have the necessary know-how to build a factory fast and efficiently.

In short, I only posted this thread because I believe in any case, I'd take an earlier delivery than later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
whats the wife do that yall ballin outa control with a Model 3 and CT.....
Special Education Consultant. And I don't get what she does either. I guess that's why she gets to have a pkg like this as no one knows.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:12 PM   #11
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,025 Posts
I would get the 36m lease on whatever that suits your needs right now and for the next 3 years. The CT may not arrive on time, and even then you don't have to take delivery right away.

If work is paying for most of it, whether to take delivery on the CT early or or late makes no difference.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-01-2020, 09:17 PM   #12
in the butt

Thanked 3,220 Times in 1,183 Posts
get a Lada

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-02-2020, 04:02 PM   #13
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,101 Times in 351 Posts
Perhaps something like this would work. 24 months remaining and payment within your range:

https://www.leasebusters.com/en/details.asp?ID=275063

Does your wife's work offer a car allowance in lieu of covering her lease payments? If so your other alternative is to buy/finance a 3-4 year-old RAV4 or CR-V. Driving those for a couple of years and re-selling will have a very minimal cost of ownership which is hopefully offset by the car allowance.

Kev
Old 06-02-2020, 04:28 PM   #14

It's actually a reimbursement of expenses I think. We do it in our own names and submit the paperwork (lease agreement, insurance... etc), but all of it is within the pkg of compensation.

But for some reason I can't quite figure out their structure though.

Lease is up to 800+tax. Everyone in her office basically max out.
Finance I think was something like 5xx tax in IIRC.
Owned vehicle is something like 60cent/km. (again IIRC)

I guess it has something to do how their accounting is set up. But if it's reimbursement, I see all of them just written off as expenses prepaid by employees/contractors. So, it's unclear to me why the difference in numbers.

Anyway, I guess lease takeover seems the most reasonable way to go. Other than Leasebuster and CL, any other site to find ads?
Old 06-02-2020, 05:41 PM   #15
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Vansky

In all seriousness, plenty of kids dumping leases, but gotta find one that doesn't ask for ton of cash back cuz they put 15k down lol.
vyrospec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:20 AM   #16
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
know someone doing a 2019 Acura TLX Aspec lease takeover until Sept 2022. if interested pm.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:57 AM   #17

Thanked 3,735 Times in 955 Posts
Ballers
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:24 PM   #18

Thanked 2,064 Times in 555 Posts
^ dumb idea... but

**Maybe TOFU can chime in...

I seen McLaren 570s go for $1600 tax in least payment with 50K down...

I know friends who pay close to 2K/month on RS7 s... so there is that....

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy