REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-08-2020, 12:02 PM   #1
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Vancouver School Zones will be 30KM/h 24/7

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/07...zones-30-km-h/

Quote:
VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) — Vancouver council has approved implementing a speed limit of 30 km/h in school and playground zones, 24 hours a day.

Council also approved a trial of reduced speed limits in the Grandview-Woodland area, and a pilot project to advance lower speed limits on other local streets. Priority locations include the Strathcona and Hastings-Sunrise neighbourhoods.

Council, at its regular meeting Tuesday, further approved the development of another pilot project to allow people to use “micromobility devices” on bike paths and roads, according to a staff report.

Currently, under the provincial Motor Vehicle Act, speed limits are 50 km/h on all Vancouver streets, unless otherwise posted. Speed-limit reductions are in effect from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on school days.

However, a blanket reduction in speed limits on local streets has been a city goal since 1997, says the report.

In 2019, council directed staff to investigate a pilot for 30 km/h zones on residential streets and ways to improve road safety around schools.

Now council has approved the creation of a slow-zone pilot within the Grandview-Woodland neighbourhood.

“The area already has traffic-calming measures and the pilot will test an official speed-limit reduction. Signs will be posted to alert drivers the speed limit is 30 km/h. The boundaries of the area include Clark Drive, 1st Avenue, Commercial Drive and Grandview Highway North.”

The city’s neighbourhood traffic management program outlines priority locations for additional slow zones, including Strathcona and Hastings-Sunrise, says the report.

“The city will engage with the neigbhourhoods to install traffic-calming measures to limit vehicle speeds and volumes, including speed humps, raised crosswalks, medians and speed-limit signs,” reads.

“Depending on how rapidly the city-province pilot on blanket speed limits moves forward, reduced 30 km/h speed limits could be part of the traffic-calming toolbox for these areas.”

Staff, following council’s direction, will work with the provincial government to develop pilot programs to reduce speed limits on local streets and to allow the use of privately owned micromobility devices, such as e-scooters and monowheels, on protected bike lanes and local streets.

“Currently, micromobility devices are illegal on Vancouver streets. The goal of the pilot is to give people more travel options, while helping to ensure streets and sidewalks are safe for everyone.”

The cost of all the changes is estimated at $1,200,000, including $80,000 for the Grandview-Woodland pilot for signage, and $460,000 each for plans in Strathcona and Hastings-Sunrise.

Money will be reallocated from existing program budgets.
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2020, 12:30 PM   #2
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,326 Times in 5,642 Posts
at first reading this i was kinda thinking wtf...

but seeing as my neighborhood is on there i gotta say, i completely agree with it.

In tight neighborhoods like grandview and hastings sunrise you get a lot of people who are cutting through the neighborhood in an attempt to save time, mostly going eastbound.

I'm honestly surprised there hasnt been a deadly accident on my block, or around the corner where the schools are because fucking idiots dont realize the stop signs alternate and people continually either blow through them, or roll through reds until they almost hit a pedestrian or another vehicle.
Old 07-08-2020, 02:49 PM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Good! I always obey the 30kmh anyways and people act like I’m being a cunt. But kids play at that school in the summer during the day. Why not treat it like a park zone
Old 07-08-2020, 06:04 PM   #4
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,309 Posts
Thank goodness. Hooligans in their Mustangs always ripping down my street (a school zone) well over 30km/h day and night 24/7 every day of the damn week crashing into BMWs (this is real, not a rip on BIC_BAWS.)
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2020, 08:51 PM   #5
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,727 Times in 894 Posts
I just think it's another cash grab and excuse for Cain and Bois to vi. Who's playing at playgrounds at 1am at night, Corona parties? And most parks and schools already have crazy speed bumps. And who knows if schools will even ever return to in class education.
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2020, 09:37 PM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

i wil ask my turtle to drive at school zones with turtle speed....
danned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:25 PM   #7
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Good! I always obey the 30kmh anyways and people act like I’m being a cunt. But kids play at that school in the summer during the day. Why not treat it like a park zone
During the day, I agree 100%. No argument against that.

But why at night? If you are ripping up the street in a crowd plower... I mean Mustang, you are violating the 50 km/h speed limit as well.

Waste of taxpayer money and cash grab for the 24-hour school zone 30 km/h speed limits IMO.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2020, 07:11 AM   #8
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
wasn't CoV complaining they are short of money? Shit like this is why...

8-4 am fully agree 30km
4-8 why not increase the vpd patrol from existing allocation to said area?

I hope the signage they install will be digital such that it can be variable speed limit

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:48 AM   #9
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
what about schools/parks on major roads like john oliver secondary on 41st ave?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2020, 03:39 PM   #10
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Meh, on the fence about this one. I mean no one wants to be a douchebag and run over a child. But I've always said, if you need a sign to tell you how fast you should go, you probably aren't a very good driver to begin with.

Adjusting your driving based on awareness of current conditions and environment is an underrated skill that no one seems to talk about.

Speeding always seems to involve strawman.

"What?! You don't support going 30km/h? So you think it's ok to just go flying through the school zones at 80km/h like a maniac?!!"
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 04:25 PM   #11
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,309 Posts
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2020, 04:52 PM   #12
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 2,496 Times in 555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
what about schools/parks on major roads like john oliver secondary on 41st ave?
Giant 30 km/h signs painted on the ground just like E Hastings /s
8th May 2021 - 30th Sept 2023

'99 SAAB 9-3 (3DR) (5MT) (sold)
'02 SAAB 9-5 Aero (5MT)
27th Sept 2015 - 17th Sept 2017

'03 Corolla (4AT)
2009-2020

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Klondike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:24 AM   #13
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,574 Times in 1,718 Posts
Sounds like a cash grab to me.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2020, 09:38 AM   #14
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
I don't see anyone obeying 30km/h through a school zone at 2am. Dawn to dusk makes more sense.

Could be COVID funding as VPD can make bank.

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote