REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-19-2020, 12:11 AM   #26
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
BUT WE JUST GOT IT.

The only thing people are getting from an SUV is a bigger trunk so why can we not at least get cars like the 1st gen Mazda 3 hatch and the Matrix with a hatch that's nearly vertical and not at a 45* angle like a lot of more compact hatches? Then you get the extra storage without having to waste fuel in some high riding vehicle that still has low ground clearance. Especially since cars are getting bigger the smaller SUVs are just a pointlessly high wagon..
You've got it backwards, at least from my perspective and from conversations I've had with non-car guys who own small crossovers.

Non-car people generally don't care as much about having a ton of cargo space as you'd think. It's the fact that, higher-riding cars give you this false sense of "safety" and a "commanding" view of the road. It's the whole, you're riding on top of the car vs riding in the car thing, it's totally opposite from what car people/enthusiasts generally care about.

In fact, many of them get for example, the CX-3 over a Mazda 3, even though the trunk of the former is smaller than the latter. Like for god's sake Mazda literally made a lifted Mazda 3 with plastic body cladding and I'm seeing so many of them on the road now, vs the new Mazda 3 which doesn't seem like it's doing too well compared to the previous generations. People like driving lifted cars, that's really what it is.

That's why you keep seeing these awkwardly lifted hatchback-like crossovers from every single manufacturer around the world (CX3, CX30, HR-V, C-HR, GLA, Q3, X2/X1, etc. etc.), and they're selling like hotcakes because your mom and your aunt and her daughter and her daughter's 10 girlfriends and their non-car boyfriends all like these "safe" crossovers.
Advertisement
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2020, 12:35 AM   #27
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

The commanding view of the road is no more now that everyone else has SUV's...
Old 07-19-2020, 02:32 AM   #28
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akinari View Post
You've got it backwards, at least from my perspective and from conversations I've had with non-car guys who own small crossovers.

Non-car people generally don't care as much about having a ton of cargo space as you'd think. It's the fact that, higher-riding cars give you this false sense of "safety" and a "commanding" view of the road. It's the whole, you're riding on top of the car vs riding in the car thing, it's totally opposite from what car people/enthusiasts generally care about.

In fact, many of them get for example, the CX-3 over a Mazda 3, even though the trunk of the former is smaller than the latter. Like for god's sake Mazda literally made a lifted Mazda 3 with plastic body cladding and I'm seeing so many of them on the road now, vs the new Mazda 3 which doesn't seem like it's doing too well compared to the previous generations. People like driving lifted cars, that's really what it is.

That's why you keep seeing these awkwardly lifted hatchback-like crossovers from every single manufacturer around the world (CX3, CX30, HR-V, C-HR, GLA, Q3, X2/X1, etc. etc.), and they're selling like hotcakes because your mom and your aunt and her daughter and her daughter's 10 girlfriends and their non-car boyfriends all like these "safe" crossovers.
It's also cause crossovers offer AWD when many sedans don't. Every mom and aunt is convinced AWD is better for safety in the winter, even though they're still running all seasons. That kind of false sense of security is what's going to cause an accident when they realize their AWD doesn't help them stop any faster.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2020, 07:35 AM   #29
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,925 Times in 3,877 Posts
Quote:
Technically we're talking about two different things, what people get from it vs what they want from it. But I do agree that's going to be why loads of people buy them. Then they put junk all seasons on and roll it over in the winter
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2020, 07:49 AM   #30
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,064 Times in 555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
honestly people buying $20k new cars are better served buying used vehicles that used to be $35k+ and pocket the change
the problem is... people who are buying 20k new cars dont have money... they are going for the $200/mth finance for like 7/8 years or smth stupid.

Buying used is impractical to them due to the used car interest rates...

lol...tbh, they are probably already stretching a lil bit even at 200 a month + insurance + gas.... so buying a used 35k with unexpected maintenance + problems out of warranty...

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2020, 09:55 AM   #31
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,727 Times in 894 Posts
^^ I find this true, it's hard as hell to sell anything over $10k as ppl who has that much cash to throw around will probably buy new, and unless it's some unicorn car. It doesn't make sense to pick it up with a loan or line of credit. Or ppl shopping in that price range typically don't have access to that much credit. You see cars $10 to $20000 sit on cl for years or just eventually traded in.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 03:46 PM   #32

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
i rarely see brand new civic's on the streets,i don't know if Honda priced themselves out and people just bought cheaper eco boxes like toyota,or ended up going to the used car market first in these harder times.
Old 07-19-2020, 04:02 PM   #33
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
i rarely see brand new civic's on the streets,i don't know if Honda priced themselves out and people just bought cheaper eco boxes like toyota,or ended up going to the used car market first in these harder times.
It's the #2 selling vehicle in Canada behind the Rav4 ... Even in 2020, they've sold 13,100 to date (which is way down but everything is way down). They sold over 60,100 Civics last year (again, #2 selling vehicle in Canada behind the Rav4).
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 04:43 PM   #34
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
I want to make sure we are on the same planet and ask the question on when was the Civic not an econobox? (Type R and such models excluded.)
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2020, 04:46 PM   #35

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
civics are everywhere... my old parking neighbour has like 3 civics, new too

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:33 PM   #36
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,403 Times in 858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
^^ I find this true, it's hard as hell to sell anything over $10k as ppl who has that much cash to throw around will probably buy new, and unless it's some unicorn car. It doesn't make sense to pick it up with a loan or line of credit. Or ppl shopping in that price range typically don't have access to that much credit. You see cars $10 to $20000 sit on cl for years or just eventually traded in.
Depends.

I had a hell of a lot more time wasters when I listed my $5k Insight vs my $60k 911.
Old 07-19-2020, 05:33 PM   #37
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,403 Times in 858 Posts
Also, if anyone knows of a 6 speed 2.0T Accord in the pearl white, please send me a PM
Old 07-23-2020, 07:50 AM   #38
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Honda kills Civic Coupe, Manual Accord and the little Fit

Source: https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...upe-cancelled/

Manual option for the Accord I can understand, it's not a popular option, and the automatic was faster.

Civic Coupe... harder to swallow. IMO the coupe isn't the best looking, but a coupe has been in the lineup for so long, and it's quite sad to see it die off.

Fit. Honda US sold 35k fits in for 2019 and 99k of the HR-V so I can understand, but the fit lives on in other countries it's just because NA loves their "SUV" we lose the Fit to the HR-V.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:32 AM   #39
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,437 Times in 376 Posts
https://www.revscene.net/forums/7169...onda-fans.html [emoji28]

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
'06 BMW 330i [RIP]

'02 BMW M3
'99 Honda Civic SIR [sold]
'19 Civic Type R[sold]
'22 MINI Cooper SE
My Photojournal: simplexcars
Simplex123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:53 AM   #40
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
fuq.. merged thread
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:38 AM   #41
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark0821 View Post

Buying used is impractical to them due to the used car interest rates...
A great point to bring up. Why by a certified pre-owned 2 year old mazda 3 for only ~5k less than MSRP @ 5.99%, when you can just get a brand new one for 1.99% and at the end of financing pay less overall.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:09 AM   #42

Thanked 4,575 Times in 1,719 Posts
I have a 2019 Civic Coupe, does that mean I should get rid of this thing ASAP? Was planning to buy out and sell it at the end of the lease term, but curious if it would be better to simply provide back to the dealership at the end of the lease term.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:11 PM   #43
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
I have a 2019 Civic Coupe, does that mean I should get rid of this thing ASAP? Was planning to buy out and sell it at the end of the lease term, but curious if it would be better to simply provide back to the dealership at the end of the lease term.
It's still quite new. I wouldn't worry too much about it in both senses of finding parts and resell.

Usually, when a car gets discontinued, you can still get parts (brand new) decades after the fact. I.E: a Honda Prelude... which my friend has and was recently (well, late 2019, but still a good 10+ year before being discontinued) involved in a relatively minor accident, but the whole rear bumper needed to be replaced, and it was done with a brand new one.
Old 07-24-2020, 09:01 AM   #44

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Not related to Honda, but goes back to my point of, the people who beg for manuals and make a huge fuss when they're gone, were not going to buy a new car with a manual transmission anyway. I almost feel like automakers who still put manual boxes in similar cars, are just doing it for the journalists and to get good press/PR stunt.

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/07/ge...earbox-option/

Should be obvious by now, but the tiny percentage of people who buy new cars with a stick, requires the automakers making them to truly have deep pockets. If I recall from reading reviews, the manual box in the G70 was sort of half-assed as well.
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 09:11 AM   #45
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
Quote:

Was a lot guy way back

Overheard the sales at an Audi dealer say

"Get the Q7. Heavier, taller, and safer. Get in accident, they die not you"
Qmx323 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2020, 12:20 PM   #46
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,925 Times in 3,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
It's still quite new. I wouldn't worry too much about it in both senses of finding parts and resell.

Usually, when a car gets discontinued, you can still get parts (brand new) decades after the fact. I.E: a Honda Prelude... which my friend has and was recently (well, late 2019, but still a good 10+ year before being discontinued) involved in a relatively minor accident, but the whole rear bumper needed to be replaced, and it was done with a brand new one.
I can confirm that Toyota has large stockpiles of parts as well. Lots of model specific stuff seems to take >20 years to run out, generic parts are still around. Jeep not so much, they've run out of some parts in under 10 years.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 10:29 AM   #47
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Mechanical and body parts should be fine for the most part because they are shared with the regular sedan and hatchback. I'd be wary on the model specific parts, such as trunk seals, rear side window, interior, etc...

It's only an issue if you plan to keep the car and drive it for the next 20 years. If you won't do that, then parts and availability won't be a problem. Enjoy your Civic
jcmaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 10:54 AM   #48

Thanked 4,575 Times in 1,719 Posts
Thanks for the advise folks, what are your thoughts for resale value, though?

There's about 8 grand put down on my lease, so I'd prefer to buy it out and sell it end of lease, the car has been babied and has minimal KMs.

Would the discontinuing of the coupe be a barrier to resell? I guess that's too soon to tell, just curious if it's better to return the vehicle back to the dealership at the end of term. I'd prefer not leaving money on the table, though.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 11:13 AM   #49
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I can confirm that Toyota has large stockpiles of parts as well. Lots of model specific stuff seems to take >20 years to run out, generic parts are still around. Jeep not so much, they've run out of some parts in under 10 years.
Confirming that my friend's parents are still getting parts/service from Toyota for their 1991 Toyota Tercel. Serviced almost exclusively at various Toyota dealerships.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-28-2020, 11:53 AM   #50
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Thanks for the advise folks, what are your thoughts for resale value, though?

There's about 8 grand put down on my lease, so I'd prefer to buy it out and sell it end of lease, the car has been babied and has minimal KMs.

Would the discontinuing of the coupe be a barrier to resell? I guess that's too soon to tell, just curious if it's better to return the vehicle back to the dealership at the end of term. I'd prefer not leaving money on the table, though.
I think the difference in resale value will be minimal. At the end of the day, it looks like your Civic is well taken care of. Just use it until your needs change.
jcmaz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: