REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 07-21-2020, 01:39 PM   #1
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Adding support for wall mounted tire racks

I am trying to mount some wall mounted tire racks to get my extra tires off of the ground.
The section of wall I am looking at is 108 inches wide. From left to right, there is a stud and then about 8 inches there is another stud. After that, it is 16 inches with the last stud 22 inches from the wall. I checked and drill a small test hole and there is no stud.
My plan was to mount some wood into the studs and then bolt the tire racks to the wood get full use of the wall.

Any suggestions of wood and thickness? Or go with the standard Hacksaw Jim's 2x4's?
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 01:52 PM   #2
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
I didn't want to have to mount mine right where the studs were so I mounted horizontal 2x4s to all the studs and then mounted the tire rack to those with the supplied lag bolts. I would think that's stronger than mounting to the studs directly since there's no drywall between the rack and the wood so less stress on the lag bolts.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2020, 01:55 PM   #3
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
I am trying to mount some wall mounted tire racks to get my extra tires off of the ground.
The section of wall I am looking at is 108 inches wide. From left to right, there is a stud and then about 8 inches there is another stud. After that, it is 16 inches with the last stud 22 inches from the wall. I checked and drill a small test hole and there is no stud.
My plan was to mount some wood into the studs and then bolt the tire racks to the wood get full use of the wall.

Any suggestions of wood and thickness? Or go with the standard Hacksaw Jim's 2x4's?
You could go with Farmer John's plywood instead. Lol
Old 07-21-2020, 02:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I didn't want to have to mount mine right where the studs were so I mounted horizontal 2x4s to all the studs and then mounted the tire rack to those with the supplied lag bolts. I would think that's stronger than mounting to the studs directly since there's no drywall between the rack and the wood so less stress on the lag bolts.
That's what I was thinking. Running horizontally mounted wood. I'll polly go with the 2x4's and run a diagonal lag screw into the cross wall to get that end some extra support.

Thanks.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2020, 02:16 PM   #5
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
I'd suggest 2x4's as well. Then hang off the rack, before putting your wheels on them, just to test it out.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2020, 02:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
I'd suggest 2x4's as well. Then hang off the rack, before putting your wheels on them, just to test it out.
Good point. My wife's snow tires are easily 50+ lbs each. 17 inch steelies and 225/65/17 tires.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 07-21-2020, 02:42 PM   #7
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
Also keep an eye on what the rack is rated for. I just have car tires on mine but a buddy has 32" mud tires on one which is a lot more than what I saw mine were rated for (but so far his are holding up).
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2020, 03:41 PM   #8

Mine are the Costco ones. Rated at 300 lbs.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2020, 06:46 AM   #9
Old School RS

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,202 Posts
Maybe I am not understanding your post accurately - is the issue that you basically don't have a stud that lines up with where you want to start/stop your rack? I have the Hyloft racks which I imagine are the same as all the others, but they are only bolted in on each end.

You can see here - I used plywood on the top one as I needed the end to be attached where there was no stud, the bottom straight through drywall onto studs at both ends.

The plywood is 1/2" I had lying around and practically speaking I can find no difference in strength in either.

-Mark
Old 07-22-2020, 10:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
Maybe I am not understanding your post accurately - is the issue that you basically don't have a stud that lines up with where you want to start/stop your rack? I have the Hyloft racks which I imagine are the same as all the others, but they are only bolted in on each end.

You can see here - I used plywood on the top one as I needed the end to be attached where there was no stud, the bottom straight through drywall onto studs at both ends.

The plywood is 1/2" I had lying around and practically speaking I can find no difference in strength in either.

-Mark
Thanks Mark.

The question is "Any suggestions of wood and thickness? Or go with the standard Hacksaw Jim's 2x4's?"

I was thinking of getting a sheet of plywood but am worried about strength. Since there isn't a huge difference in price, I will just get a few 2x4's and call it a day.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 07-22-2020, 03:16 PM   #11
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post

-Mark
This is similar to what my friend did. He's hanging 4 x 19" wheels/tires from his 911 from there.

Edwen, Either way should work but I think I think there are a few disadvantages to using 2x4's. First off 2x4's are quite thick, so you'll need to use longer screws. There are multiple support points for the bracket (lowside's has 3 on each side) and so you'll need to put up mulitple pieces of 2x4s. Lastly, using thicker wood also means that your bracket will protrude further into your garage, so measure to make sure you have enough space.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed2K View Post
This is similar to what my friend did. He's hanging 4 x 19" wheels/tires from his 911 from there.

Edwen, Either way should work but I think I think there are a few disadvantages to using 2x4's. First off 2x4's are quite thick, so you'll need to use longer screws. There are multiple support points for the bracket (lowside's has 3 on each side) and so you'll need to put up mulitple pieces of 2x4s. Lastly, using thicker wood also means that your bracket will protrude further into your garage, so measure to make sure you have enough space.
I have 1 rack up already and the Rav4 snow tires are on them. But with the way the studs are spaced out, without adding the wood, the second rack would only be 32 inches and only able to hold 3 tires as well as a lot of unused space on the wall.
As far as jutting out, that should be fine as the rav4 fits under the rack and tires.
Biggest concern is that I will be using them up to their 300 lb max and want to make sure the wood I use will support that.

The plan is to use the full 108 inches over the 2 racks, or as much as I can.

Rack 1 will have the 4 wheels from the Rav4 (assuming 65 lbs x 4 = 260 lbs) plus 1 wheel.
The other rack will have 7 wheels, all 15 inch wheels with 23/25 inch tires (7x40 lbs = 280 lbs)
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing