REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 07-21-2020, 02:56 PM   #1
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,924 Times in 3,877 Posts
Wood sizing for kids play structure

I need to build a freestanding 3'x4' platform about 4' off the ground as a base for a slide and steps. DIY guides I find online tend to use 3x4 or 4x4 posts for the vertical pieces and 2x6 for the deck framing. That's what I was planning to do but looking at instructions for the hardware kits you can buy they're using 2x4 for everything.

example here: https://www.playstarinc.com/Content/...0PS%207720.pdf

Based on that I'm thinking of using 2x6 for the vertical supports and 2x4 for the deck framing due to the small size. Will that still be solid or should I stick to the original plan of using the same sized materials as a full size deck?
Advertisement
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:14 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
3'4' is tiny, that's basically a small table. You will be fine with 2x6s as your base.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2020, 02:41 PM   #3
Old School RS

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,206 Posts
IMO, I would have no problem framing the floor with 2x4, but I think the choice of using 2x4s or 2x6s as the vertical post is not a good one.

The reason is that they are plenty strong vertically, but at only 1.5" wide in the "2x" direction, provide pretty mediocre bending resistance from side-to-side. The directions you link to use a bunch of corner brackets/ties to try to tackle this. They have also used additional 2x4s on the perpendicular direction to help prevent side to side bending.

The cost for the 2 8' 4x4 posts you'd need (get them cut in half at Home Depot) is peanuts and will make for a much sturdier/less bouncy feeling platform. It will probably cost less than the extra brackets to beef up the 2x6 corners.

-Mark
Old 07-25-2020, 09:38 AM   #4
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I just built one using a hardware kit and my own lumber. Just my two cents, if you want to build it quick and hassle-free, stick to the plans. It will list all the wood you need to buy, and also show all the cuts you need to make. Once you start switching lumber sizes to save a couple bucks, it'll cost you more time when making the cuts because you can't just follow the cut sheet anymore. You'll have to modify the dimensions on the cut sheet to make it match your new lumber sizes.

I built one a couple weeks ago. My main structure is 5'x5'. I used true 4"x4"lumber instead of typical the 4x4 that's actually 3.5"x3.5". I got the job done but the change in post size affected the sizes of many of the other cuts, so I had to be careful when following the cut sheet. Overall, the structure is very heavy and sturdy.
turbo_slug is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2020, 02:34 PM   #5

Good catch on the brackets, I didn't factor those in when I was comparing lumber sizes.

Unfortunately due to the size and shape of the space I'm working with I can't buy a kit, otherwise I would have gone for that.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 08-05-2020, 04:13 PM   #6

A few changes to make but it's 90% complete and feels super solid, thanks for all the input.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 08-05-2020, 09:28 PM   #7
Old School RS

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,206 Posts
Nice job!

Just like on fence posts, you should put little caps on the top of your 4x4 posts as that is the weakest part for weather protection and they'll rot a lot quicker if rain hits the end directly.

-Mark
Old 08-05-2020, 11:19 PM   #8

Thanks! I bought some caps (purely for cosmetics, good to know they're functional too) but I haven't put them on yet as I want to add some trim pieces where they meet the decking as well just to tidy things up a bit. I also only have 1 screw left, and I think they need 2 each.

I also need to sort out the best way to shorten it a bit, as it sits the slide is way too steep for my toddler and she comes screaming off the end every time. I think the easiest way would be to cut the bottom stair off and the bottom of all the posts since I already put carriage bolts through for the deck frame and I don't want to leave big exposed holes in the posts.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-06-2020, 06:33 AM   #9
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
^ we added a ~12” block under the bottom end of our slide to reduce the slope. The kids still come out hot but that definitely made it safer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2020, 11:16 AM   #10
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
My dad would've jerry rigged that slide to a ladder and called it good.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2020, 12:00 PM   #11

I started shimming it up with offcuts just to see how much adjustment is needed, she's getting better at not needing our help to stop with it boosted up about 4" but much more than that and the drop is too much for her. Dropping it by one step + some shims would land it anywhere from 7-11" higher than it is now.

I just don't want to drop it too much and then the kids are bored of it within a few years and I end up like every dad with this huge unused thing sitting in my yard. I might be able to boost it back up later with some concrete deck blocks but idk how stable that would be with a 4' high floating structure.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by underscore; 08-06-2020 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:07 PM   #12

I'm also trying to figure out if I should add something by the opening of the slide on the outer side. I have no idea what I could put there I just don't like the thought of a kid falling the wrong way and missing the slide.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-06-2020, 03:03 PM   #13
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
I'm wondering why that pool isn't at the bottom of the slide lol

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:27 PM   #14

It's too small or it would be. Eventually I plan to put a slip n slide at the end though.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote: