REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Miscellaneous Tech & Tools

Miscellaneous Tech & Tools THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Got an ATV or snowmobile you need to fix? Or are you wondering what the hell a crowfoot socket is for? Come on in and ask away!

Old 08-30-2020, 03:23 PM   #1
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,309 Posts
Cordless Power Drills and Drivers

Hi Folks,

I'm looking to get a cordless power drill/driver set for home/domestic use. Primary use will be for assembling furniture, minor/light repairs to stuff around the house. I will require one that has the capability to drill through ceramic tile (bathroom) and was wondering if anybody had any experience and insight as to what to look for in a drill/driver.

I'm not partial to any particular brand, but would want something that won't crap out in two to three weeks, and has a good warranty. Any advice, wisdom, and input is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Advertisement

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 04:54 PM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
I’ve been happy with my ryobi, also the one+ battery system makes it easy for buying future tools and not paying more for extra batteries
Old 08-30-2020, 04:55 PM   #3
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,916 Times in 3,876 Posts
For normal household stuff like you're wanting to do any decent brand will do what you want just fine (B&D, DeWalt, Makita, Ryobi, Milwaukee, etc). I've got Black & Decker drills that are 8+ years old, a Dewalt that's about the same, a big Makita that's probably 30 years old and I've never had issues with any of them.

If you've got credit card points see what you can get with them, that's how I got the first of my Black & Deckers. It reno'd half my house, built my kids slide, etc.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2020, 08:37 PM   #4
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Get one with a brushless motor. High voltage units are heavier, may be more difficult to control and/or use for long periods of time if you’re not used to them. Don’t buy shitty drill bits.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2020, 08:39 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
Did the mods take away your search button?
https://www.revscene.net/forums/6682...ss-drills.html

But to contribute something useful.... Drilling has a lot to do about the drill bit itself, so like Jmac said, don't buy the shitty ones
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2020, 09:04 PM   #6
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Get one with a brushless motor. High voltage units are heavier, may be more difficult to control and/or use for long periods of time if you’re not used to them. Don’t buy shitty drill bits.
Any particular make/model you recommend, or minimum voltage? I am thinking 12V might do the job, but I am not sure.

I need a drill that will have enough power to drill through the bathroom tile so I can install a shower bar. Where I'm unsure of which voltage would be the absolute minimum without killing it.

Also, any particular brand of drill bits to recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
Did the mods take away your search button?
https://www.revscene.net/forums/6682...ss-drills.html

But to contribute something useful.... Drilling has a lot to do about the drill bit itself, so like Jmac said, don't buy the shitty ones
Interestingly enough, my search functionality is crippled on several forums.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 08-30-2020, 10:05 PM   #7

The real risk there is cracking the tile, not running out of power. Definitely get good bits and go slow.

Do you have any spare tiles from the bathroom to practice on? If you don't maybe grab a couple cheap ones of the same type from the hardware store to get a feel for it.

edit: one other suggestion I thought of, get something compact (in terms of size between the chuck and the back end behind the motor). I've run into issues with clearance more than anything else over the years.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2020, 10:10 PM   #8
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
The real risk there is cracking the tile, not running out of power. Definitely get good bits and go slow.

Do you have any spare tiles from the bathroom to practice on? If you don't maybe grab a couple cheap ones of the same type from the hardware store to get a feel for it.
This is what I am afraid of - cracking the tile. The current owner did not leave any spare tiles, but I believe I found the tiles from Home Depot, and they aren't entirely expensive, so I can afford to break a few before doing the real damage on the two bathrooms.

Old 08-30-2020, 10:12 PM   #9
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
I recommend any brushless, minimum 18V, and the proper tile/glass drill bit for your job. Brand doesn't really matter as long as you go with one of "better known" brands as listed up there.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2020, 03:56 PM   #10
in the butt

Thanked 3,220 Times in 1,183 Posts
Dont waste your money on brushless, get the cheap ryobi

Impactor 12v small battery. You dont need a huge 18v to put in 20 screws.

If you are using it 4 times a year, why pay 30% more for brushless.

I use my tools day in day out, so its a different story.
Personally all milwaukee, every time they break i have had free warranty.

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2020, 04:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
This is what I am afraid of - cracking the tile. The current owner did not leave any spare tiles, but I believe I found the tiles from Home Depot, and they aren't entirely expensive, so I can afford to break a few before doing the real damage on the two bathrooms.
Even if they aren't the exact same ones, if you can get some that are the same material it should be enough to give you a feel for it. A drill bit guide (or a scrap block of wood) might be handy if the bit ends up wanting to wander on the tile.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2020, 04:44 PM   #12
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
There's good deals to be had on your local CL. Seen some near new impact/drill sets for half off retail. As someone else said, brushless is overkill for light home use. I am personally in year 5 on an entry level non-brushless Makita 18V impact/drill set that gets daily use and so far no issues.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:01 PM   #13

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Ryobi is the answer. They have a ton of tools that use the same battery many designed for home use that other companies don't offer. They also always go on sale. Mighty car modes (way before they were sponsored), Tavarish, and other YouTubers use Ryobi. The maker space I am a part of also uses Ryobi. Remember you are buying into a battery system.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:09 PM   #14
RS Veteran

Some great points here, guys. Thanks a bunch.

I won't be using the tools on a daily basis unlike some of you, so I think that's where the difference is. Like I said, this will mainly be for domestic home use only The tools won't be used for my livelihood.

I'll have to keep my eyes peeled on the Ryobi, seeing as Home Depot sells it. There is a Home Depot literally a block from my next place (5 minute walk door to door.)

Old 09-01-2020, 01:28 PM   #15
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
I’ve been happy with my ryobi, also the one+ battery system makes it easy for buying future tools and not paying more for extra batteries
Same for me. They're coming out with a new HP+ line that is more compact. I have a ton of Ryobi stuff and the fact they use the same battery is awesome.

Milwaukee M12 is also a good alternative, not as powerful as the M18 but likely enough power for the home user.
Old 10-04-2020, 05:00 PM   #16
RS Veteran

Update: Ended up getting a 20v 1/2" Craftsman brushless drill/driver combo at Lowes for $99. There was a sale on some Dewalt drill bits and screw bits for cheap as well. Win!

This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2020, 07:33 AM   #17
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Can't go wrong with craftsman they always make good stuff. Only problem is when you need batter replacements you're more likely looking for a new drill instead.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:21 AM   #18
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post
Can't go wrong with craftsman they always make good stuff. Only problem is when you need batter replacements you're more likely looking for a new drill instead.
For the $99, I had accepted that should the battery ever die, it would be more economical to buy a new drill instead.

Old 10-06-2020, 09:06 PM   #19
RS controls my life!

Quote:
how did it go drilling the tile?

if you haven't done it already grab these guys:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/bos...set/1000656732

top tip; before you start drilling push the tip of the bit into the tile you should hear a small crunch. that will help seat the bit and it won't walk on you and scratch up your tile.
A-Dev is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-08-2020, 03:33 PM   #20
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I just used a sharp regular bit, put some masking tape down and went slow, that worked for me, ymmv
Old 10-08-2020, 04:50 PM   #21
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Dev View Post
how did it go drilling the tile?

if you haven't done it already grab these guys:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/bos...set/1000656732

top tip; before you start drilling push the tip of the bit into the tile you should hear a small crunch. that will help seat the bit and it won't walk on you and scratch up your tile.
Thanks for the pro tip!

I haven't done this yet as I found an alternative solution to my shower situation. Additionally, I have to figure out what I want to do for a permanent fix, whether that's to get a full shower door or a bathtub screen, and the type of shower head/system for the master bathroom. I just moved in to the place last week and still have a tonne of crap to unpack.

Old 10-09-2020, 01:28 PM   #22
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Hey guys, I swapped to DeWalt so I have a Bosch set of tools (drill/driver, impact driver, cordless circular saw, jobsite radio, 4 batteries total) that I am no longer needing. Was wondering if anyone on RS was interested before I posted on Craigslist!
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:13 PM   #23
RS Veteran

Out of curiosity, any particular reason you switched?

Old 10-09-2020, 06:55 PM   #24
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Quote:
and the type of shower head/system for the master bathroom. I just moved in to the place last week and still have a tonne of crap to unpack.
Spoiler!
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:54 PM   #25
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Quote:
Out of curiosity, any particular reason you switched?
The wider tool selection on Team Yellow. The Bosch tools are great, they have good batteries, their tool selection on this side of the pond is not as good as Milwaukee or DeWalt or even Ryobi.

Honestly...I wanted a heated jacket and it's either Team Red or Team Yellow haha!
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: