REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-06-2020, 04:19 PM   #26
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,341 Times in 5,649 Posts
Regardless of how you think these drivers should behave or do, I sure as hell wouldn’t want to be caught up on the highway in either direction with this going down
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2020, 04:45 PM   #27
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
does anyone know if the upgraded sea to sky for the 2010 olympics actually reduced the number of casualties and serious accidents each year?

it's a safer infrastructure but feels like it has become a lot more accessible/busier
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 06:16 PM   #28
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
does anyone know if the upgraded sea to sky for the 2010 olympics actually reduced the number of casualties and serious accidents each year?

it's a safer infrastructure but feels like it has become a lot more accessible/busier
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...s%20per%20year.

Quote:
Shortly after the upgrades were complete, the highway enjoyed a significant drop in crashes. Between 1998 and 2007, 63 people died on the Sea-to-Sky Highway. There were upwards of 200 crashes per year. But by 2010, after the upgrades were complete, the number of crashes dropped by 66 per cent.
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/sea-to-sky-hig...rade-1.3780774

Quote:
But nearly a decade after taxpayers forked over more than half a billion dollars for the Olympic-sized improvement, there are still an average of 72 serious collisions per year. More than two of them are usually fatal.

More than 19,000 commuters a day now navigate the roadway—a 24 per cent increase in traffic—since 2009.
So still down despite a huge increase in traffic.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 06:23 PM   #29
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,855 Times in 889 Posts
maybe with all the speed cameras they've put in across the lower mainland, they could put a few on the S2S. i'm sure that's cheaper and more effective than bringing out the helicopter every now and then.
bobbinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:06 PM   #30
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbinka View Post
maybe with all the speed cameras they've put in across the lower mainland, they could put a few on the S2S. i'm sure that's cheaper and more effective than bringing out the helicopter every now and then.
Please god no
Old 09-06-2020, 08:49 PM   #31
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Last time I drove up there about a month ago, there were no less than four speed traps between Squamish and Whistler.
shabusen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:00 PM   #32
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbinka View Post

If you put in a 'few' speed camera's people will just speed like crazy everywhere but where those are.
Dbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:02 PM   #33

people get impatient af when they're behind me during the lions bay/britannia stretch
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2020, 09:11 AM   #34
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
Interval cameras means they have a check point at the beginning and the end of the route. If you arrive at the second camera too quickly you were speeding and you will get a ticket in the mail like photo radar.

There has been talk of doing it on the Malahat for years: http://globalnews.ca/news/4637266/ca...n-the-malahat/

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818

Last edited by TouringTeg; 09-07-2020 at 09:17 AM.
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:30 AM   #35

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Radar can get fucked. How about improved driver training
Old 09-07-2020, 10:33 AM   #36

Thanked 3,738 Times in 956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringTeg View Post
Interval cameras means they have a check point at the beginning and the end of the route. If you arrive at the second camera too quickly you were speeding and you will get a ticket in the mail like photo radar.

There has been talk of doing it on the Malahat for years: http://globalnews.ca/news/4637266/ca...n-the-malahat/
So just wait at a lookout, have a piss behind a tree before crossing?
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2020, 10:42 AM   #37
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,575 Times in 1,719 Posts
Quote:

That is an absolutely terrible idea. Jesus.

Enough with these fucking cash grabs in this god damn Province.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2020, 11:02 AM   #38

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
I don’t understand why people are throwing out suggestions to curb speeding on the highway like this was just some run of the mill incident of billy bob and his friend ripping up to whistler at 20 over so they could get up there in time for breakfast.
This was beyond speeding. This was reckless driving and excessive speed and those behaviours aren’t going to be curbed by a $600 ticket you get in the mail 8 months later.
These are behaviours that need to be punished with jail time and massive fines for showing a reckless disregard for other people (of course being based on the info at hand, which may or may not be true)
What the fuck are we doing talking about speed cameras in here related to this?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 11:33 AM   #39
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,925 Times in 3,877 Posts
^ from the sounds of it this incident is just the latest in an ongoing series of people being stupid and causing accidents on the same bit of road. This time it was a Lambo and particularly bad but how many near misses are there for every incident? If it really is bad enough that they can justify paying for the officers and equipment to run 3+ speed traps along there I can see why people would say it should just be automated.

I'd say any sort of speed camera outside of a town needs to have a very high trigger limit though. If they're set for 40 over I doubt there would be much opposition compared to 10 over.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 11:57 AM   #40
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
I own a Lambo and I've never done this rally. It's never appealed to me and imo it's too big, too many cars and not enough safety nets in place to prevent drivers from speeding and acting out. I'd rather do a dealer rally which is usually a smaller group of owners without the tomfoolery.

It's a sad situation for everyone involved.
Harvey Specter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 12:13 PM   #41

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Not sure why people are freaking out about speed traps on the sea to sky. To actually have fun on it you have to be smokin’ along. Unsafely. It’s a highway for gods sake, not some twisty backroad.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2020, 01:07 PM   #42
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:

They have this system in Holland. To get around it, people stop for gas/smoke/check their phone, between cameras.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2020, 01:11 PM   #43
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Saw this on Twitter, surprised people are still driving that quickly after what happened.

https://twitter.com/SquamishRCMP/sta...7Ctwgr%5Etweet
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 01:26 PM   #44

Thanked 3,495 Times in 1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I don’t understand why people are throwing out suggestions to curb speeding on the highway like this was just some run of the mill incident of billy bob and his friend ripping up to whistler at 20 over so they could get up there in time for breakfast.
This was beyond speeding. This was reckless driving and excessive speed and those behaviours aren’t going to be curbed by a $600 ticket you get in the mail 8 months later.
These are behaviours that need to be punished with jail time and massive fines for showing a reckless disregard for other people (of course being based on the info at hand, which may or may not be true)
What the fuck are we doing talking about speed cameras in here related to this?
I agree. I would want B.C's criminal justice system to take one step further like this law in Los Angeles. -law created to curb street racing, reckless driving.

This is a next level deterrent. What about auctioning the street racer's cars, or crushing their vehicles, in addition to jail time and a lengthy licence suspension?

https://www.dailynews.com/2015/10/06...er-new-la-law/

Get the exotic car, modified car, or any vehicle of the street racer destroyed to become scrap metal.

Tougher enforcement such as car auctions or crushing cars to curb street racing is not a new tactic though. There is legislation in Ontario, California, and other jurisdictions already. B.C. has the Civil Forfeiture Act such that cars of offenders can be taken away from them permanently. What about destroying the offender's vehicle?

Last edited by pastarocket; 09-07-2020 at 01:50 PM.
pastarocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 01:27 PM   #45

when you use heavy punishment it’s already too late...a life is already lost or someone can’t walk or work again, it’s only to deter that driver from repeat offense but not the other idiots who are just lucky enough to escape causing a catastrophe with the I won’t get caught/lose control mentality

not saying they need to go minority report style prevention, i think the existing speed traps are not a bad solution unless putting barrier/rails up the whole way is feasible

also, surprised a new Toyota didn’t hold up but I guess they don’t crash test for 200kph with a 5000lbs suv

hope the charges stick for hit and run
Old 09-07-2020, 03:14 PM   #46
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post
Saw this on Twitter, surprised people are still driving that quickly after what happened.

https://twitter.com/SquamishRCMP/sta...7Ctwgr%5Etweet
RCMP Traffic has a pretty good idea

How about this math: for every kmh over = a day in impound yard at $1000/day. Plus licence gone for a year. For everyone's sake, please slow down. We don't need more of what happened near Whistler this weekend.
G0rilla is online now   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-07-2020, 03:20 PM   #47

Harsher penalties are a given. Increased impound durations and license suspensions. Increased licensing requirements and mandatory education to obtain a license.
Old 09-07-2020, 03:21 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0rilla View Post

How about this math: for every kmh over = a day in impound yard at $1000/day. Plus licence gone for a year. For everyone's sake, please slow down. We don't need more of what happened near Whistler this weekend.
So if I get caught doing 5 km/h over the limit, I lose my car for 5 days, $5k, my license for a year, and presumably my job? Wow, great idea

Also, why is a government account peddling such ideas?
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2020, 03:38 PM   #49

I own a Camry and have never done a dealer rally either.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2020, 03:39 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0rilla View Post

This is a worse idea than a DVD rewinder.