REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 09-21-2020, 03:54 PM   #1
in the butt

Thanked 3,217 Times in 1,181 Posts
Condo leak from above, no proof, im stuck with the bill

Anyone in a condo deal with leaks from above before?

Owners above me seem to overflow their toilet or shower, cause minimal drywall and ceiling damage to my unit. There is existing caved in ceiling damage from months back as well.
Ofcourse they dont allow anyone into their unit to get proof.

Called my insurance company, either i pay the 1000$ deductable, or get someone to do it privately. There is no way to back bill the owners since there is "no proof" of negligence. Insurance company says this is a common occurance where the people under the leak are stuck with the bill.
Strata says since the above owners fault, strata is not involved. Its between me and the above owners.

Has anyone dealt with a similar situation? How do i get proof so im not stuck with the bill the next time this happens?
Advertisement

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:08 PM   #2
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
I'll just go fuck myself, k.

Last edited by TOS'd; 09-21-2020 at 07:11 PM.
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:22 PM   #3
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
STFU TOS'd

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by bcrdukes; 09-21-2020 at 07:10 PM.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2020, 06:36 PM   #4
in the butt

Thanks for the replies, but both of those situations are completely different where
A. Unit owner above acknowledges and agrees to sort out the issue, and
B where mass amount of damage + strata property is damaged so they need to be involved

My case is trying to backcharge the owners, when they are shady and trying to avoid being a part of it

To answer some questions, emergency after hours was called (property manager), they said they would send someone out. They asked me to go upstairs and check the leak in the unit.

I went upstairs, told them theres water coming into my unit, and strata told me to check the leak.
Immediately the guy was like "your not coming into my unit" with an agressive defensive attitude, so he went to "look" then comes back, and says "its fixed" and that was that

20 minutes later, council came by, took photos of my unit, i asked them when the plumber is coming out.
Since it was saturday at like 7pm, and the leak was "fixed" and not pouring, they held off. Which is reasonable.

After emailing council, they said they spoke to the owner, but dont have any proof to help my cause.

This building is a dump for multiple issues, this just added on.

Really trying to avoid a civil tribunal / lawyer, it would be a massive waste of time over 1000$, headache, etc. With high odds of me paying for everything. According to my insurance company that said every time this kind of thing happens, its a wash.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:01 PM   #5
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
How the heck can they say there's no proof? Where else could it come from? Buildings can't really go anywhere so it's not like a hit and run or something.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2020, 09:39 PM   #6
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
yoikes new house too

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:42 AM   #7
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Can't an inspector just cut out a piece of your ceiling and see the soaked floor from above? I can't see it being hard to deny a leak like that! Water came in. There's no leaking pipes. There's only 1 place it could be coming from.
Is it possible to let him kindly know that if it's not resolved a lawyer will be involved and you'll also be trying to get your money recouped for wasting both your time and money. Would that work?
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:55 AM   #8
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
step 1) involve the strata and say you have a leak and no idea where it's coming from. make it their problem to get access. Start off the convo by saying it's the strata pipes inside your ceiling thats leaking. Say if the strata doesn't fix it you will sue them for damages.

2) they will get access by locksmith or otherwise.

3) strata will identify its coming from toilet (or wherever)

4) get it in writing from Strata

5) inform your home insurance you have proof of cause and you want it fixed

6) your home insurance will engage their lawyers and property manager to demand payment or fix from owner upstairs.

7) you are out $1000 but you get a permanent fix

8) be prepared for some time (it'll take a while).

9) appologize to strata for blaiming them in step #1

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 02:25 PM   #9
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Sounds like a bitch to be living in an apartment. Makes me want to pull out of my presale I am taking possession next year. If it gonna be a leak like the OP, it'll be a leak in my own damn place not some asshole from above.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:49 PM   #10
in the butt

I dont get how they cant be blamed either, but if an insurance company that deals with thousands of claims says so, then....

@tiger handheld

Thats a great concept, but:

A: they dont work, they are on CERB or whatever its called (or so they told me) and they are home 24/7.

B: even strata cant get into their unit as the owners are not allowing anyone in due to "covid" / for the leak issue, and this is off topic but their floors were snapping in and out of place, i wanted to get a flooring guy in there to inspect whats going on, and same thing, no to covid.
(i ended up cutting out my ceiling / turns out the 2x8 beam supports nails-wood were snapping in and out of place every time they walk on them) mostly fixed now

C: im praying they leave the water on and leave to whistler or something, that would be my only chance to get someone to go in there. Il keep your ideas in mind

Unfortunately you cant really enter someones unit, unless its an emergency, and they are not home.

Euro7, my building is a 45 year old dump, wood structure, i just got unlucky with the whole scenario.

Keep your presale, this is just one of those shitty condo situations out of the other 100 people that are fine.
I have another place in port moody that ive owned for 3 years, 20 years old, 0 problems, minus a few power thirsty strata people

I have some ideas, il report back in a few weeks / months with what came of it

Thanks for everyones advice,

Spoiler!

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
Old 09-22-2020, 10:56 PM   #11
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

This happened to me 2 years ago, shower room membrane leaked to my neighbor down stairs. building is old, whole membrane had to be replaced.
Called house insurance "Gore Mutual". They said this is not covered...so FML

Called Strata, and they wouldnt deal with it. Neighbor wouldnt do shit as well.

So, i paid $7000, renovate the whole shower room.....
ime2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:34 AM   #12
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Yes your upstair neighbor is 100% to blame
But just because someone is 100% to blame doesn't mean they will pay you.
Say someone accidentally threw a baseboard and crack your window. He is supposed to pay for your damage, but doesn't mean he will pay.

Your only recourse is to sue him in court for the damage if he doesn't pay.

To the Strata, this is an issue between you two, so they'd think it is non of their business.
Your insurance company can actually sue the upstairs unit owner to recoup the damage cost, but they won't because unless you are talking about 6 figures damage is it not worth their hassle. (And you'd still have to pay the deductible even if they won)
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-23-2020, 09:45 AM   #13
private modder

Thanked 2,646 Times in 740 Posts
Under the Standard Bylaws (which can be amended) owners do not have a right to:

- refuse entry to their strata lot by any authorized person: in an emergency, even though no notice has been given
- refuse entry to inspect and repair parts of common property or the strata lot that the strata corporation is responsible to maintain or insure, if 48 hours written notice has been given

this unfortunately is a grey area. you might be able to call this an "emergency" but even then, it's not easy for a strata council to gain access and there is a lot of legal liability risk here.

the one thing that's certain is the repairs to your ceiling will come out of your pocket, either via insurance deductible/premium increase, or just paying for the repairs yourself.

we had a washing machine 2 floors above us overflow and suffered water damage to our ceiling (thankfully the water that leaked into our unit leaked directly into our bathtub, avoiding damage to our floors).

the only option to us was use our insurance to repair it, or repair it ourselves. then we could attempt to recoup costs by suing the owner at the CRT, but only if we could prove they were negligent and that it wasn't just bad luck.

we just repaired it ourselves and moved on with life.

your neighbour sounds like a total jerk.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:06 PM   #14
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Didn't read replies., had to me once before. Your strata should be covering the repairs. As my strata at the time covered it.

You don't need to pay deductible because it wasn't your issue.
Rallydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-24-2020, 07:50 AM   #15
Old School RS

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallydrv View Post
Didn't read replies., had to me once before. Your strata should be covering the repairs. As my strata at the time covered it.

You don't need to pay deductible because it wasn't your issue.
If you can't be bothered to read the thread before replying, then don't bother replying.

Especially given your information being incorrect; there is no way that a water leak that originated in a unit (ie not from common piping which is different and is the strata's problem) is going to be covered by strata insurance - none.

-Mark
Old 09-24-2020, 10:05 AM   #16
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
I dont get how they cant be blamed either, but if an insurance company that deals with thousands of claims says so, then....

@tiger handheld

Thats a great concept, but:

A: they dont work, they are on CERB or whatever its called (or so they told me) and they are home 24/7.

B: even strata cant get into their unit as the owners are not allowing anyone in due to "covid" / for the leak issue, and this is off topic but their floors were snapping in and out of place, i wanted to get a flooring guy in there to inspect whats going on, and same thing, no to covid.
(i ended up cutting out my ceiling / turns out the 2x8 beam supports nails-wood were snapping in and out of place every time they walk on them) mostly fixed now

C: im praying they leave the water on and leave to whistler or something, that would be my only chance to get someone to go in there. Il keep your ideas in mind

Unfortunately you cant really enter someones unit, unless its an emergency, and they are not home.

Euro7, my building is a 45 year old dump, wood structure, i just got unlucky with the whole scenario.

Keep your presale, this is just one of those shitty condo situations out of the other 100 people that are fine.
I have another place in port moody that ive owned for 3 years, 20 years old, 0 problems, minus a few power thirsty strata people

I have some ideas, il report back in a few weeks / months with what came of it

Thanks for everyones advice,

Spoiler!

A: has nothing to do with it
B: stop doing work and send a formal email to strata that either strata fix it or you sue them they have 10 days to reply and cost of lawyer will be charged. if they dont reply. Pay $150 for lawyer letter (sunk cost). See how fast it'll get resolved. COVID is not an issue for entry - as long as owners are not self isolating for 2 weeks - building manager or repairman can go in as long as they are masked and socially distant. You can enter someones unit as long as you give them 72hrs written notice if it causes damage or is a threat to life/safety.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote