REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-01-2020, 09:05 AM   #26
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,738 Times in 956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Haha... you might not be at that age group. But my friend is well into his 40s, and with kids college tuition on track, retirement saving plan on track...
I'm pretty sure a reg guy in Van is up to his eyes in debt from a 800k Townhouse. The median income for a family in BC is like 80k. Your buddy is far from regular.
Advertisement
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2020, 10:31 AM   #27
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
I'm pretty sure a reg guy in Van is up to his eyes in debt from a 800k Townhouse. The median income for a family in BC is like 80k. Your buddy is far from regular.
True and true. But that's not stopping many in the lower mainland to buy six figure toys.

It's all about priority and income level. How many 14dolla ballar are driving a bimmer?

They are a typical 2-income family with both of them working. They are certainly above the median income, but nothing over the top either. I estimate my friend to be a tad over 100k given his position while his wife gets another 6xk-7xk or so.

He's just putting the money saved for something like an investment property to fulfill a lifetime dream instead. As long as he can justify it, I don't see why not.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:46 AM   #28
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
BC gov't is clamping down hard on exotic cars been registered in Alberta and been brought back to BC which is why I would just keep the car on Alberta plates and get insurance in Alberta and not deal with the headaches.

All the loopholes and grey areas have been exploited so I would tread carefully and wisely. I wish I could have bought my Performante via Lamborghini Calgary and saved the 26% but it's too risky.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2020, 11:35 AM   #29
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Technically it's illegal to have a vehicle moved back here for more than 30 days and not swap it over. I've never heard the outcome of someone who has gotten caught or had an accident here though, so risking a small fine might be worth it.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 12:04 PM   #30
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
BC gov't is clamping down hard on exotic cars been registered in Alberta and been brought back to BC which is why I would just keep the car on Alberta plates and get insurance in Alberta and not deal with the headaches.

All the loopholes and grey areas have been exploited so I would tread carefully and wisely. I wish I could have bought my Performante via Lamborghini Calgary and saved the 26% but it's too risky.
Once he moves back to BC, and changes his DL + Healthcare card + Taxes over to BC, how do you propose he maintain the AB plate + insurance? Plate + Insurance must be switched over within 90 days of officially moving back.

From the sounds of it, OP's friends scenario is very black/white, nothing even remotely wrong happening if he is legitimately living and working in AB. I would keep as much documentation as possible (CC bills with AB address, utility records in his name, letters from employer, etc) as those may be required later if govt of bc looks into it. Again, I went through a similar situation recently, it's pretty straight forward when you provide them a shit load of documentation right off the bat to verify everything.
nismodrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2020, 12:14 PM   #31
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
The idea is to buy something exotic in the 250k-300k range. And let's say it's 2yr sharp with 300k car... so the valuation for PST consideration is 300k*0.4=120k.
FYI if it is reduced 30% per year then you have to calc it like this:

300k*0.7=210k 1st year

210k*0.7=147k 2nd year

It's 30% of the new lesser amount not the original amount
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2020, 12:35 PM   #32
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
FYI if it is reduced 30% per year then you have to calc it like this:

300k*0.7=210k 1st year

210k*0.7=147k 2nd year

It's 30% of the new lesser amount not the original amount
This is in case that he keeps his BC resident status.

I am curious though... on the bulletin it says 30% reduction for every year and then 2.5% for every month.

So it's actually sales price*(0.7^x) where x is in years?
Old 10-04-2020, 09:14 AM   #33
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,065 Times in 556 Posts
^

I agree 100%, your friend is 100% legit, It is not even close to tax evasion... he is living there for 2 years (24Xs longer than the 30 day law/rule).

I think if you are doing what I described in my 1st post - "moving" there for only 60 to 90 days... You can always say you wanted to try a new career path, but didnt pan out.. moving back to Vancouver after?

that is where it gets sketchy af... but even then... it is still very legit since you did satisfy the rules of owning the car for more than 30 days while being a resident of the other said province.

As for "reg" people owning exotics...If you have the equity, which I think most people do when they are mid 30/40s.... you have to think the cost of owning a lightly used V8 Ferrari for a year or two might be just about 100k? (thats depreciation, insurance and gas ).. not saying throwing 100k into the dumpster is a sound financial move, but to have the experience of having something like that for 1 year or 2.... that is something you get to cherish for a lifetime....

PS. not asking you to add another 100K more to your mortgage, the equity is only there so you will get approved for the loan to buy a car like that.....

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy