REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-20-2020, 08:50 AM   #1
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,174 Times in 2,407 Posts
School me on pre-owned 250+ HP compact mainstream SUVs (Acura RDX, etc)

I currently have a RAV4 V6 which my wife and I love, and was looking to upgrade to the new PHEV RAV4 Prime which has 304hp. However I am having a hard time justifying the price of a well-loaded trim for the prime ($51.5k) and the delays have further made me question the price and value of the car.

The Rav4 is just hitting 200k so am casually keeping my eye out for something newer and more comfortable.

The top features I am looking for are:
  • power & performance: needs to have that mid-range power for highway overtaking, and so am iffy on 4cyl+turbo setups.
  • comfort and practicality: for going on hikes camping, etc. also some amenities that my current Rav4 doesn't have like heated seats, sunroof, auto climate control, power seats.
Not concerned, but nice to have:
  • technology
  • handling (I have my BMW to satisfy that need)
  • safety (no kids)
I was so hyped on the PHEV RAV4 because I was concerned with the move to fuel economy and turbocharging there would no longer be higher powered SUVs in this segment in future, but it turns out to not be the case.

The ones that have been brought to my attention are:
  • Acura RDX (2nd gen has NA V6, but open to 3rd gen)
  • Subaru Outback turbo
  • Mazda CX5 Turbo
  • Just a newer/lower mileage/fully loaded version of my Rav4 V6
So just wanted to get people's experiences on pros and cons of the above vehicles, of there are particular generations to look for or avoid, as well as any other similar vehicles in this segment that is similarly powered.

Would likely buy pre-owned but am open to considering new if that makes any difference.

Thanks!
Advertisement
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback

Last edited by sonick; 10-20-2020 at 09:28 AM.
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:56 AM   #2
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
51k for “loaded” Toyota = plastic trim all over, lol Jesus that’s crazy
Old 10-20-2020, 09:18 AM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
45k+ is just where new cars are now, gone are the low 30s for a decent new vehicle

but i would also question the wait too

honestly if you're going 2nd hand just keep the rav4, throw on some comfortable seat/wheel covers and maybe some dynamat and call it a day

200k on the clock means nothing on it, decent power and fuel economy, camping worthiness and reliability in those newer cars won't be better than your current vehicle
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Yeah the fully loaded tech package tops out at almost $57k

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
45k+ is just where new cars are now, gone are the low 30s for a decent new vehicle

but i would also question the wait too

honestly if you're going 2nd hand just keep the rav4, throw on some comfortable seat covers and put in some dynamat and call it a day

200k on the clock means nothing on those cars, you're not gonna find all power, fuel economy, camping worthiness and reliability in those newer cars (mayybe the subaru if you're okay with CVT)
Yeah the Km's is not that big of a deal, just looking for something a bit more refined (quite a lot of road noise with my Rav4, also sport suspension is a bit rigid) with more comfort amenities (sunroof, heated seats, climate control).

The price in this category is not an issue if the value reflects it. Just that much for a Rav4 is hard to justify for the PHEV.
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

Old 10-20-2020, 09:50 AM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,735 Times in 955 Posts
Quote:
Damn, where are you shopping? There are a shit load of new cars under 30k.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:00 AM   #6
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,212 Times in 188 Posts
We have a '17 CX-5 and I love it.

Performance is fine for regular driving. It's not necessarily powerful but the vehicles you're looking at aren't in general so it fits the mold there. I have my ISF for power and fun so can't really compare it to that.

Practicality wise, it's pretty good...we took it camping with a toddler in their car seat this summer and fit everything in the car (tent, bbq, canopy, snacks for days) tightly but were able to do it. Then we had to transport a large bed frame the other day and had it sticking out the trunk and had to deal with a warning beep that the trunk was open the whole half hour drive home which was annoying. Not sure if there's a workaround or it's changed in later years but if you see yourself doing that often, I'd definitely consider looking into that more.

I love the way it looks and has some nice features with the SkyActiv package...lane departure warning, auto high beam dim, auto braking/warning, etc. These were all great for a road trip last year down to Cali, especially the auto high beam dimming while driving at night through unfamiliar territory.
smaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2020, 10:08 AM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
I have rav4 v6 limited and it has those features. Just about at 300k. Mine was original owner v6 7 seater for under 10k 3 years ago so pretty good bang for buck. Comparing my limited to base it is noticeably quieter too.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:29 AM   #8

7 seats in the rav4?
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2020, 11:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubfid View Post
I have rav4 v6 limited and it has those features. Just about at 300k. Mine was original owner v6 7 seater for under 10k 3 years ago so pretty good bang for buck. Comparing my limited to base it is noticeably quieter too.
Good to know about the volume. Before the Rav4 Prime my plan was to find a clean 2012 V6 Limited, but those are few and far between in the used market.
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

Old 10-20-2020, 11:19 AM   #10
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
A more loaded Rav4 might be hard to beat for the price if you're more or less happy with it. Our 07 V6 Limited has the heated seats, sunroof, dual zone auto climate control, power seats (drivers only) you're talking about. But since it sounds like you want something a bit more plush, what about a second or third gen RX350? From my understanding it's the same drivetrain as your current V6 Rav, but with a higher end/more refined body so it should be comfier and quieter.

If you're traveling on the Coq at all I'd want to stick to NA power myself, I can't imagine those turbo engines enjoying trying to maintain speed on those long hills when you're loaded up.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2020, 11:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
A more loaded Rav4 might be hard to beat for the price if you're more or less happy with it. Our 07 V6 Limited has the heated seats, sunroof, dual zone auto climate control, power seats (drivers only) you're talking about. But since it sounds like you want something a bit more plush, what about a second or third gen RX350? From my understanding it's the same drivetrain as your current V6 Rav, but with a higher end/more refined body so it should be comfier and quieter.

If you're traveling on the Coq at all I'd want to stick to NA power myself, I can't imagine those turbo engines enjoying trying to maintain speed on those long hills when you're loaded up.
This is a spot-on observation. Thanks for the suggestion of those generations RX350, will add it to the list of ones to consider and research.
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

Old 10-20-2020, 12:06 PM   #12

07-09 rx350, want
should be cheaper than rav4 limited too

Last edited by twitchyzero; 10-20-2020 at 12:11 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2020, 12:12 PM   #13
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Shopped around for a new SUV not too long ago, so I'll put in my observations here:

The CX-5 Turbo (2019+) are very powerful - you won't have problems overtaking on the highway, and are very luxurious on the inside for the class. Space isn't as good as a RAV4, but adequate, and the safety package is pretty good. This is built on the platform before they gimped the Mazda 3 with the beam-axle rear, so handling was quite good for a compact SUV - the class leader in that price bracket.

Acura RDX 3rd gen (4-cyl turbo) - very good handling, especially in A-Spec trim with the SH-AWD. More expensive than the CX-5, but the interior is a bit commensurately nicer. The turbo is less peaky than the CX-5, so it doesn't quite feel as punchy but it's still very fast for a SUV, and the 10-speed makes for relaxed highway cruising thanks to the tall gears in 8/9/10. Lots and lots of space as it's on the CR-V platform - the trunk is huge, and the seats are nice. Acura Sensing is fine, works quite well. ELS Audio is really nice.

2nd gen RDX, the interior is meh and the infotainment is terrible. Space is on the smaller side in the class. I'd skip it unless you really wanted a Honda V6.

RAV4 Hybrid/Prime - basically what you observed. The interior is not great for the price -so much plastic - and you can't negotiate anything off them because the demand is so great. I didn't find it that comfortable to sit in, but the space is nice. Drives like meh.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2020, 12:36 PM   #14
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,727 Times in 894 Posts
Are you looking for gas mileage with the phev or are you looking for power? Be brave and get a used x5m or ml63
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 01:08 PM   #15

For 55k and in the similar size category you could probably get into a used Macan no?

Although then you’re into a whole new ball game in terms of maintenance etc. Lol

My sister bought a 2018 CRV premium, very nice car for the price around 24k with under 40,000kms. My wife’s cousin also bought a 2020 CRV turbo and the interior was quite impressive for a Honda SUV nice wood grain trim, not overly blatant use of plastic etc.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:19 PM   #16
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:
07-09 rx350, want
should be cheaper than rav4 limited too
I mean if OP was really set on a hybrid, the RX450h is rated for 245HP and has the same V6. However, the 2015+ RX450h is rated for 308HP, and can probably be found CPO.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:25 PM   #17
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
Quote:
People spend stupid money on new toyotas and i cant understand why. Cheap interiors, pretty basic technology, hideous designs etc. My buddy just bought a silver Corolla Hybrid for nearly 34 grand
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2020, 01:33 PM   #18
hoppity HOP HOP

Thanked 1,617 Times in 522 Posts
There’s also the new Venza, which is the all-new Toyota Harrier, if you’re considering the Prime.

Same power plant as the RAV4 hybrid, but in a more refined package. It has less cargo room than the RAV4 but a better ride. Like an updated Lexus NX at a lower price.
Spectre_Cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 01:50 PM   #19
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
i spent about 50k on the rav4 hybrid limited. the backup camera is horrible as well as the 360 camera. the built in GPS is horrible and the year i bought didn't have android auto as well. techwise this is horrible for a 2019 car compared with my mazda 3.

I bought it mainly for the reliability i'm getting from a toyota and knowing i won't have any major breakdowns and their hybrid system has been around for a while.
Since this car i bought was going to be my dad driving it most of the time, i rather him not have to think the car will break down 5 years or 10 years down the road and get him stranded, plus the gas saving he gets vs his old v6 car
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 02:25 PM   #20
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donjalapeno View Post
People spend stupid money on new toyotas and i cant understand why. Cheap interiors, pretty basic technology, hideous designs etc. My buddy just bought a silver Corolla Hybrid for nearly 34 grand
I mean people drop $75k on a Jeep Wrangler and those are giant dog turds so...
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2020, 02:44 PM   #21
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
SUV topic is hot.

We have a 13 CRV we have been looking at the Prime, MDX etc. It’s been rock solid. 17” tires, 87 octane. The best thing we can do is keep driving it. It’s amazing how much new vehicles are now.

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Are you looking for gas mileage with the phev or are you looking for power? Be brave and get a used x5m or ml63
Quote:
For 55k and in the similar size category you could probably get into a used Macan no?

Although then you’re into a whole new ball game in terms of maintenance etc. Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
I mean if OP was really set on a hybrid, the RX450h is rated for 245HP and has the same V6. However, the 2015+ RX450h is rated for 308HP, and can probably be found CPO.
I am not set on the hybrid, just the power of the PHEV appealed to me.

I had considered the X3 m40i, however the thought of owning a pre-owned German luxury vehicle, particularly if it was out of warranty, scared me off lol.

I also realized that all-in, a fully loaded price of the Rav4 Prime was getting into Macan territory.
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

Old 10-20-2020, 03:34 PM   #23
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

For $50k, you can get a fully loaded Palisade if you want something that big. 290HP and NO TURBO
Old 10-20-2020, 03:40 PM   #24

newer crv has oil dilution
palisade i cant get over the looks, dislike new cars with the tusk-like DRLs
Old 10-20-2020, 03:49 PM   #25

When you hang your hat on a 15-18 year old drive train, it sure as shit better be reliable lol