REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-04-2020, 10:46 AM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Where do you change your oil?

I want to preface this with the fact I don't need to be told to change my cars oil myself - I did it for over a decade on all my other cars but it is now a hassle since I don't live in the burbs anymore.

Honda recently upped their prices for a basic oil and filter change. Now $114 with taxes. I was going back through my receipts and it has gone from $68 to $100 in the past 4 years. I wish I could charge my clients that type of inflation.

Recommendations for Vancouver shops that I can trust that will be more affordable than a dealership?
Advertisement
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2020, 10:55 AM   #2
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Last I checked, it was $78 at my local Honda dealer.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:56 AM   #3
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Didn't go for an oil change but I've gone to The Speed Syndicate for other things. Pricing was fair and service was really good.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:03 AM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,732 Times in 897 Posts
Technique Auto in Richmond, the owner has taken care of my family's cars for over 15 years and I know him personally
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:19 AM   #5
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
oil needs to be changed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2020, 12:56 PM   #6
in the butt

Thanked 3,225 Times in 1,186 Posts
Mobil 1

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 12:59 PM   #7
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,532 Times in 534 Posts
Whichever place that offers a decent price on groupon
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 01:05 PM   #8
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
With a Fumoto valve, anywhere I want.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 01:15 PM   #9
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,174 Times in 963 Posts
Alpha1. I like that they check all my fluids and condition of consumables and report back on them all. For daily driver stuff it's cheap peace of mind.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2020, 01:48 PM   #10
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
going underneath the car, how low level

https://www.amazon.ca/DasMarine-Extr...VCS2KF9AS9D7ES

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 03:35 PM   #11
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,758 Times in 1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie. View Post
oil needs to be changed?
It doesn't when you drive a Tesla.

Really, one of the main things that drove me away from ICE was the constant service and the ever-increasing price.

It requires me to basically take time off my regular schedule or find an off day that they have availability.

I can't wait Tesla's FSD becomes a reality until my major service (another 3yrs to go) as it can't be done by mobile service and the car can just drive itself to the service center.
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-04-2020, 04:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Last I checked, it was $78 at my local Honda dealer.
Seems like us in Metro Vancouver are getting screwed as always.

Will look into Alpha1
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:34 PM   #13
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,825 Times in 3,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
one of the main things that drove me away from ICE was the constant service and the ever-increasing price.
buy japan-built
last 15 years the only time i had to use a shop was for rebuilding a starter, tires and body work excluded because that also apply to EVs

it's gonna take many dealership oil changes to justify ever-increasing cost vs buying a model X
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 07:49 AM   #14
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,392 Times in 5,667 Posts
Quote:

Really, one of the main things that drove me away from ICE was the constant service and the ever-increasing price.

It requires me to basically take time off my regular schedule or find an off day that they have availability.

I can't wait Tesla's FSD becomes a reality until my major service (another 3yrs to go) as it can't be done by mobile service and the car can just drive itself to the service center.
Yea, that 20 minutes twice a year is a real nightmare..
Old 12-05-2020, 11:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Yea, that 20 minutes twice a year is a real nightmare..
I service mine at local Honda dealer. The fastest I’ve ever done a service was half a day. And that’s for a simple oil change. Any other level of service could take longer.

Yes, I know there’s no need going into stealership for service. But it’s just the closest thing I have.

How long have I ever be without car since switch to Tesla? None. Not even for 20min.

The only time the mobile service came to work on my car because of some issues... I booked the appointment in 2min on the app. They verify the time where my car was going to be, came, I unlocked the car remotely, then the tech worked on it while I was at work.

When I got back to the car, everything was done and ready to go and the car still parked where I left. There’s no going back. It’s like the argument of having backup camera. Yes, I can park fine without it. But when there’sa better way, why stick with the worse way?
Old 12-05-2020, 12:06 PM   #16
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,392 Times in 5,667 Posts
Well comparatively I’d say with the Tesla you’re forced to wait for their mobile service as opposed to just going literally anywhere with a ICE car to get it fixed.

With Tesla stuff goes or “acts up” that doesn’t with other vehicles. Ie. my friends Model S wipers stopped working and he had to wait 2 days for mobile service to come flash the software for them.

Just because it doesn’t need oil changes doesn’t mean it’s any more reliable than anything else lol..it only means you have literally no other option but to deal with Tesla
Old 12-05-2020, 01:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Well comparatively I’d say with the Tesla you’re forced to wait for their mobile service as opposed to just going literally anywhere with a ICE car to get it fixed.

With Tesla stuff goes or “acts up” that doesn’t with other vehicles. Ie. my friends Model S wipers stopped working and he had to wait 2 days for mobile service to come flash the software for them.

Just because it doesn’t need oil changes doesn’t mean it’s any more reliable than anything else lol..it only means you have literally no other option but to deal with Tesla
Sure, I won't deny there'd be cases where the Tesla way comes up short. But for a day to day driving without any specific incident... just the regular services, which oil change is one for ICE cars, the Tesla way is just wayyy better.

The only major service that has to be done at service center for Tesla is every 4yrs. All the other items (at 2yr mark) can be done by mobile service. How many times do I have to bring in my Honda (my last ICE) in that same period? 8 times minimum and that's being conservative.
Old 12-05-2020, 04:57 PM   #18
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Oh jeez, here is another Tesla cult... I mean owner.

OP asked for a place to get oil changes on his Honda, man. Nobody asked about your Tesla. Do you think OP is gonna read the thread and trade his Honda in for a Tesla just to not do oil changes and proceed to deal with the non-existent QC of a Tesla?

In general, I think any indy shop with good reviews will do for a Honda. They aren't hard to service. Wouldn't go to any quick oil places, however.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 07:55 PM   #19

think about it this way. Cost of oil and filter is probably in the neighborhood of 50 bucks already. I'm talking about cost as a consumer, not businesses getting bulk oil (even then, it's not as cheap as you'd think).

anyway, I can guarantee you, small shop or most generic lube places don't actually stock all of the different viscosity oil for you, most of the time, they have 5-30, 0-20, as 80% of the newer cars uses these.

On the off chance you have a newer toyota 0-16, good luck getting the right oil at any places other than dealerlevel (even then, i'm skeptical if the right oil is used)

inflation, cost of labour, transportation, the real bitch behind the increase in price is mostly that

But the increase in service interval has doubled as opposed to years ago...so..it's not too bad
'02 Suzuki GSXR 750

Order the New 2020 Civic Type R, pm me

Driftspecs Apparel
www.driftspecsapparel.com
nsx042003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Oh jeez, here is another Tesla cult... I mean owner.

OP asked for a place to get oil changes on his Honda, man. Nobody asked about your Tesla. Do you think OP is gonna read the thread and trade his Honda in for a Tesla just to not do oil changes and proceed to deal with the non-existent QC of a Tesla?

In general, I think any indy shop with good reviews will do for a Honda. They aren't hard to service. Wouldn't go to any quick oil places, however.
Bahaha... so I'm pointing out what Tesla is doing better and that makes me a cult follower?

The "we have always done it this way" is the most expensive business lesson any business can make.

If legacy automakers don't start to understand that their old business model no longer works and is in desperate need of an overhaul, I won't be surprised that even major brands like Benz or BMW get sold to Chinese EV brands so they can serve the only value they still have... brand recognition in the same way how Nokia/Blackberry/Motorola have gone from top 5 in phone industry to "others" in the world sales chart.

You can swap the word Tesla out and if the other brands offered these level of convenience, I'd vouch for them too. It's about a genuinely better experience.

And EV makers now on market have to be careful too. Too many of them are still thinking with the ICE mentality. NIO, for example, is looking to do battery swap station, so "you could always be with the full tank". When in reality... think in the case of your cellphone... would one still care whether a phone has swappable battery or not? So one can go instantly from 1% to 100%.
No... you just charge whenever it's needed or at night before you go to bed.

Same idea with EVs. So, stop thinking with the same habits of ICE drivers. Just force them to get used to it. When Apple went to non swappable batteries in their phones/laptops... every review I read say it's a HUGE disappointment... blah blah... let's see how many battery-swappable phones are currently on the market? Honestly, I don't think any major brands worth their name have it.

Don't just go with what the market is doing for the least resistance. Find out a better way and stick with it. The market would eventually learn to adapt if it really is better.
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-05-2020, 10:51 PM   #21
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Quote:
Bahaha... so I'm pointing out what Tesla is doing better and that makes me a cult follower?

The "we have always done it this way" is the most expensive business lesson any business can make.

If legacy automakers don't start to understand that their old business model no longer works and is in desperate need of an overhaul, I won't be surprised that even major brands like Benz or BMW get sold to Chinese EV brands so they can serve the only value they still have... brand recognition in the same way how Nokia/Blackberry/Motorola have gone from top 5 in phone industry to "others" in the world sales chart.

You can swap the word Tesla out and if the other brands offered these level of convenience, I'd vouch for them too. It's about a genuinely better experience.

And EV makers now on market have to be careful too. Too many of them are still thinking with the ICE mentality. NIO, for example, is looking to do battery swap station, so "you could always be with the full tank". When in reality... think in the case of your cellphone... would one still care whether a phone has swappable battery or not? So one can go instantly from 1% to 100%.

Same idea with EVs. So, stop thinking with the same habits of ICE drivers. Just force them to get used to it. When Apple went to non swappable batteries in their phones/laptops... every review I read say it's a HUGE disappointment... blah blah... let's see how many battery-swappable phones are currently on the market? Honestly, I don't think any major brands worth their name have it.

Don't just go with what the market is doing for the least resistance. Find out a better way and stick with it. The market would eventually learn to adapt if it really is better.
How is this remotely relevant to what the OP asked?

He asked about oilchanges.
Nobody cares about your Tesla.
Stay on topic.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:24 AM   #22
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,825 Times in 2,509 Posts
looks like you're in E.Van
suggest Vital Auto Repair on kingsway across from Kee's taekwondo dojo
after taiyo closed down that's where i go.
i think oil change for my old accord will run $60-75 iirc

the talk of the tesla on here reminds me of the video of the person of a single mom looking for a cheap 4 door and car forum guys recommending an S2000
don't ever change RS

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-06-2020, 09:42 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsx042003 View Post
think about it this way. Cost of oil and filter is probably in the neighborhood of 50 bucks already. I'm talking about cost as a consumer, not businesses getting bulk oil (even then, it's not as cheap as you'd think).

anyway, I can guarantee you, small shop or most generic lube places don't actually stock all of the different viscosity oil for you, most of the time, they have 5-30, 0-20, as 80% of the newer cars uses these.

On the off chance you have a newer toyota 0-16, good luck getting the right oil at any places other than dealerlevel (even then, i'm skeptical if the right oil is used)

inflation, cost of labour, transportation, the real bitch behind the increase in price is mostly that

But the increase in service interval has doubled as opposed to years ago...so..it's not too bad
Some oil places can do oil changes for just labour fee if you bring the oil. Try to see how much they cost.

Quote:

Because selling a cheap Honda and paying tons for a Tesla is the solution, clearly. That's why I call you a Tesla cult... Ahem, owner.

The reason for non-swappable batteries is simple: planned obsolescence. Nothing more to that. Of course, your average person will likely switch phones for other reasons, but that's not exactly something to defend. Keep in mind that, they not only make the battery sealed, but also very difficult to swap out.

I am gonna be honest, if I ever buy an EV, Tesla will be at the bottom of my list, not just because of the potato QC, but also the owners, which is ironic as I find forums usually make my car ownership experience more pleasant.

Get your own thread.

Last edited by UnknownJinX; 12-06-2020 at 09:49 AM.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-07-2020, 01:20 PM   #24
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Quote:

Constant service? You mean the roughly twice a year, hour long trip to the dealer for an oil change?

Or do you mean the 5 week wait for parts when the model X drivers door breaks? Co worker is still in a loaner.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 05:25 PM   #25

Thanked 1,382 Times in 416 Posts
OP,
Any shop will do for oil changes. I see you're in East Van - Bill and Walter's garage is a good shop that I recommend to people. I've dealt with them in the past on a shop to shop basis and have never heard bad things about them. It's not terribly far from East Van, just off of HWY 1.

It's interesting to hear what other dealers are charging for a simple LOF + MPI. An oil change is supposed to be a loss leader to get people in the door.
Charging $120 isn't very attractive in my eyes?

Side note; Bus > any Honda > Any other EV > Tesla regardless of "service convenience". Just personal opinion and taste.
k3mps is offline   Reply With Quote