REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Old 01-26-2024, 11:38 PM   #1076
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
We had a similar issue for a few weeks when he was quite young -- no more than 6 months old for sure, probably younger. For his evening sleeps, he would insist on having someone carry him while walking. We can't put him into his crib, and we can't stop walking. If we try, he'd somehow know it right away even though I am 100% certain he has already fallen asleep. It drove me nuts because I'd be the one walking back and forth our apartment while carrying him in my arms for a few hours at a time.

And then there was another phase when he insists on having someone hold/carry him. He is older at that point, though probably still younger than 1 year old. But because he is bigger and heavier than before at that point, carrying him in my arms for 3+ hrs was killing my both my shoulder and arm. But at least at that point, I can just sit down.

In both cases, it was a phase he went through over a few weeks. So in your case, it might just be a phase. How long have you noticed this happening?

Another potential cause might be that his stomach is only comfortable when he is being held in an upright position. As soon as you tilt him down, perhaps the gases and/or fluids in his stomach is making him uncomfortable, so he'd start crying.

Does this tend to happen some time after meals? Potentially, you might want to try giving him a bit less to eat so that he won't feel so bloated.

I think my son's just really attached when he gets sleepy, and combined with me not having a lot of patience when trying to put him down in a few minutes. Holding him in the dark and just walking around for minutes can feel like hours...

For the past few nights, I tried something new and put on a bluetooth earphone and played some chill music while holding him. It made passing time a lot easier and noticed he was out within 10-15 mins.

I think he just needs to be in a deep enough sleep while being held, and once he's out, he won't notice when I put him down in bed and leave.
Advertisement
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 10:44 PM   #1077
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,700 Times in 1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
I think my son's just really attached when he gets sleepy, and combined with me not having a lot of patience when trying to put him down in a few minutes. Holding him in the dark and just walking around for minutes can feel like hours...

For the past few nights, I tried something new and put on a bluetooth earphone and played some chill music while holding him. It made passing time a lot easier and noticed he was out within 10-15 mins.

I think he just needs to be in a deep enough sleep while being held, and once he's out, he won't notice when I put him down in bed and leave.
Another thing to note for new parents, is that especially during that period as kids figure out the whole concept of sleep, is that their definition of "awake" is also different than an adult.

Just because you hear rustling, or s/he's sitting up in his bed, or even seemingly awake and crying, give the kid a few minutes, and there's a good chance they'll just go right back to sleep. Medically, apparently they're still in a state of sleep, even if they look like they're actually up.

I know a few 'anxious' parents who storm in as soon as they see/hear movement, but that's counter-productive for both the kid and the parents.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 09:16 AM   #1078
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,317 Times in 2,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
Just because you hear rustling, or s/he's sitting up in his bed, or even seemingly awake and crying, give the kid a few minutes, and there's a good chance they'll just go right back to sleep. Medically, apparently they're still in a state of sleep, even if they look like they're actually up.
My kid would do exactly this every now and then, and I have no idea whehter I can still call him being in a state of sleep or not because he would actually react / respond to us if we give him gentle directions -- lie down / go back to sleep / don't rub your eyes etc. Sometimes he would even argue / talk back. But often enough, he would do exactly as you have described -- after some time has passed, he'll lie back down and go right back to sleep. And then if you ask him about it the next morning, he wouldn't remember any of that happening LOL~

Gosh... I can really use some sleep now...
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2024, 01:34 PM   #1079
RabidMod

Thanked 1,100 Times in 408 Posts
Poor guy chomped into his tongue as we were playing last night, and after a silence, burst into tears. It was a mouth full of blood which luckily stopped almost immediately (along with the crying) but shiet that was kinda scary to see.

We took his pacifiers away so he wouldn't break the clot back open. It's been hard on him though because he's not used to falling asleep / napping without one.

How long does it take to get it reasonably healed up that we can give the pacifiers back, anyone have a guess? It's a 9 month old, if that matters?
Old 01-29-2024, 09:34 PM   #1080

^They heal very quickly, so obviously keep an eye on it but I think a day or two should be ok.

That said, it may be a good chance to just ween him off pacifiers, they're not that good to begin with.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2024, 08:48 AM   #1081
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,263 Times in 1,043 Posts
I want to pull my hair out. The little one who's just under 13 months cried for hours last night. It's been the same for the last few days. This came about because she got sick and all the sleep training was thrown out the window. But whereas before we can sleep train her, give the pacifier, or hold her to calm her down, she wants NOTHING to do with ANYTHING this time and just wants to cry. I got about 4 hours of sleep last night, broken into 2x 2 hour chunks. I want to jump off a cliff.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2024, 09:26 AM   #1082

This is one of the trials by fire that all parents go through, and we've all had those days and evenings before. Hang in there and load yourself up with your caffeine of choice and some comfort food. Once the little person is feeling better, she'll go back to being her normal self.

Do you have any elderberry gummies at home that you can feed her with? They are supposed to help with boosting immune systems, and the gummy form makes it easy for kids.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-30-2024, 09:35 AM   #1083
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,948 Times in 3,887 Posts
I don't have any advice, but you have my sympathies. Hang in there!
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 10:14 PM   #1084

Quote:
Do you have any elderberry gummies at home that you can feed her with? They are supposed to help with boosting immune systems, and the gummy form makes it easy for kids.
I'm fairly sure at 13 months that would be a huge choking hazard, lol.

My sister cried for 9 hours straight when she was an infant. Not sick, not hungry, nothing - she just needed to let it out I guess. 30 years later my parents still talk about it every now and then.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2024, 08:20 AM   #1085

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
I'm fairly sure at 13 months that would be a huge choking hazard, lol.

My sister cried for 9 hours straight when she was an infant. Not sick, not hungry, nothing - she just needed to let it out I guess. 30 years later my parents still talk about it every now and then.
Yup, I just realized last night that the elderberry gummies would be a bad idea for a 13 months old. So definitely do not give her that.
(But he has since moved on to the elderberry gummies now, which is why that was the first thing that came up in my mind.)

But there is a multitude of elderberry syrup equivalent available for children that age. As the syrup is pretty sweet -- I would even call it yummy -- I would recommend that instead. Our child never had an issue with us giving her elderberry syrup when he is mildly sick because he thinks it tastes great.
Old 01-31-2024, 09:37 AM   #1086

The 13month old refuses to take meds. Huge fight every time. My older one would just gobble all the meds up because it's sweet.

She's slept properly last night finally omg. It's been a rough week. She's starting daycare next week looool. Getting ready for another two weeks of hell.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2024, 12:39 PM   #1087

You need to find a way to convince her into thinking that the elderberry syrup is just some sort of syrup. It is really quite sweet, and doesn't taste like medicine at all -- it really just tastes like fruit syrup. So that might just work for your daughter.
Old 02-06-2024, 01:31 AM   #1088
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,201 Times in 486 Posts
Are RESP limited to what you can invest in? Bank is telling me to go on their site, look through their mutual funds and tell them which one I like and they'll do the rest. They say I can't buy the mutual funds on my own and I can't use it on the stock market.

I'm a noob to this stuff so aware me.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 09:56 AM   #1089
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
Are RESP limited to what you can invest in? Bank is telling me to go on their site, look through their mutual funds and tell them which one I like and they'll do the rest. They say I can't buy the mutual funds on my own and I can't use it on the stock market.

You need to use a different financial institution if you're wanting more autonomy with your RESP investments.

I used to use TD e-series for our RESPs, which was a self-directed service. We now use Wealthsimple because I wanted lower fees with absolutely no work involved on my end (e.g. no balancing funds/indexes in regular intervals).
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 06:17 AM   #1090

Thanked 2,184 Times in 967 Posts
Quote:

No more limits than what you an do with a TFSA or RRSP. I run mine through Wealthsimple - reasonably cheap and super easy to manage (they take care of getting the gov't grant). Questrade also supports it but it's more work (at least when I set mine up).
Old 03-04-2024, 12:01 PM   #1091

First year doing taxes with a baby..... What sort of stuff do I get to claim?

On another note, I'm selling my Nuna MIXX next stroller.
Old 03-04-2024, 07:16 PM   #1092

Quote:
First year doing taxes with a baby..... What sort of stuff do I get to claim?

On another note, I'm selling my Nuna MIXX next stroller.
Besides child care expenses there's not much to claim - anything else you're eligible for would have been automatic depending on income.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2024, 09:07 AM   #1093

How much income is too much income for collecting the Canada child benefit? Would RS baller of 250k per year get you zero dollars?

I used the calculator and put in 200k and it says I should get $900 something. In real-life the government is saying I'm not eligible....
Old 03-11-2024, 09:39 AM   #1094

^It zeroes out in the low 200k's. But it's scaled so you get <$100/mo at about 180k.
Old 03-11-2024, 10:17 AM   #1095

I plugged my numbers into the calculator and it says I should get about $300 of benefits but I ain't seen a cheque for that in years (maybe I got it 5 years ago?). I'm not sure if it's based on my wife making only $105k or if it's based on our total household income (well north of $250k)
Old 03-11-2024, 10:44 AM   #1096

It's based on household income. At $250k you ain't seeing anything.

We're at $160k-ish and we get $190/month or something.
Old 03-11-2024, 10:59 AM   #1097

For a married / common law couple, the CCB gets deposited into the wife's bank account.

I might just need to start some gender equality activism sort of thing so that daddies can get a cut of the CCB too!
Old 03-11-2024, 12:01 PM   #1098

Quote:
For a married / common law couple, the CCB gets deposited into the wife's bank account.

I might just need to start some gender equality activism sort of thing so that daddies can get a cut of the CCB too!
Wife was telling me I can get the CCB if she writes me a note. Lol

I played with the calculator some more and at $229k I can get $9 for the year. Guess that's the point it's reaching zero. RS ballers aka the ones who can afford a home in Vancouver ain't getting anything from the government!
Old 03-11-2024, 07:16 PM   #1099

We never got any CCB until we filed for taxes for the tax year my wife was on mat leave because she made 60k with top up and I was at 105k after the first kid.

Then it was nothing for 2 years because wife was back to work and we broke into the 200s.

I don't know if we'll get any this year after taxes though despite having a second. I got laid off late 2022 and didn't start working until sometime in Feb while wife was on mat leave. My T4 came in for this year at 143k and wife would be at around 70k for the year with EI + top up. We still come up to over 200k with her on mat leave. 2 kids are supposed to give us more, but I don't know where that limit is.
Old 03-12-2024, 07:23 PM   #1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
We never got any CCB until we filed for taxes for the tax year my wife was on mat leave because she made 60k with top up and I was at 105k after the first kid.

Then it was nothing for 2 years because wife was back to work and we broke into the 200s.

I don't know if we'll get any this year after taxes though despite having a second. I got laid off late 2022 and didn't start working until sometime in Feb while wife was on mat leave. My T4 came in for this year at 143k and wife would be at around 70k for the year with EI + top up. We still come up to over 200k with her on mat leave. 2 kids are supposed to give us more, but I don't know where that limit is.
I mean...at 200k with a lay-off for one spouse and mat leave for the other, do you really need CCB?

It's income tested for a reason, lol
This post thanked by: