REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Old 05-30-2023, 06:09 PM   #901
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
Just get an adjustable mirror if you want to keep an eye on them. From an actual brand, not random Amazon stuff. Why would you set up a video monitor for that? That seems needlessly complicated and hard to swap between vehicles.
Advertisement
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 06:43 PM   #902
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
https://a.co/d/0CSrZD2

I used this one b/c it came with a light which was handy at night or low light times but if you're not out at night with the kid (haha, the memory of me driving around for an hour at 2am trying to get her to sleep is burned into my memory) then any brand name mirror will do.
Old 05-31-2023, 09:32 AM   #903
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Just get an adjustable mirror if you want to keep an eye on them. From an actual brand, not random Amazon stuff
Passed the adjustable mirror suggestion along. Are there any reputable brands you would suggest them to look into?

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Why would you set up a video monitor for that? That seems needlessly complicated and hard to swap between vehicles.
They have one car. I'm not even sure why they specified Tesla Model 3 to be honest, unless there's some specific things that work only with the Tesla as an integration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
https://a.co/d/0CSrZD2

I used this one b/c it came with a light which was handy at night or low light times but if you're not out at night with the kid (haha, the memory of me driving around for an hour at 2am trying to get her to sleep is burned into my memory) then any brand name mirror will do.
Thanks, I'll pass this along! I don't envy my friends for what they're about to go through LOL
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 09:44 AM   #904

What do folks do when you're traveling with a small kid who still rides in a car seat and need to take Ubers/taxis? Are you hauling a car seat around with you, downgrading to a backless booster or just taking your chances? My kid is ~30lbs, about 39 inches or so tall.

We're likely to go down to Sydney in October for a wedding and now am trying to figure out if the logistics will work for us (or if I should just go by myself). We've never travelled without our own car with her.
Old 05-31-2023, 10:21 AM   #905
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts
Quote:
What do folks do when you're traveling with a small kid who still rides in a car seat and need to take Ubers/taxis? Are you hauling a car seat around with you, downgrading to a backless booster or just taking your chances? My kid is ~30lbs, about 39 inches or so tall.

We're likely to go down to Sydney in October for a wedding and now am trying to figure out if the logistics will work for us (or if I should just go by myself). We've never travelled without our own car with her.

https://www.mifold.ca/en/product/hif...oster/HF02CRED

Mifold Hifold booster

Your kid meets the height requirement but not the weight.

This is a hard seat to find regarding purchasing, as the manufacture website and local retailers haven't restocked in the longest time.

EDIT:

Quite strange, the American website for this has expired as per GoDaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.

Last edited by TypeRNammer; 05-31-2023 at 10:26 AM.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2023, 10:43 AM   #906
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
Passed the adjustable mirror suggestion along. Are there any reputable brands you would suggest them to look into?

We've used a Jolly Jumper one from Babies R Us and it seems to have held up well.

Quote:
They have one car. I'm not even sure why they specified Tesla Model 3 to be honest, unless there's some specific things that work only with the Tesla as an integration?
At some point they may need to swap it into a family members car/loaner car/rental/etc? idk what their lifestyle is like but it's something to think about.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2023, 01:14 PM   #907
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:

I would just buy those cheap "Cosco" convertible car seats that's super lightweight compared to your normal car seat (7lbs), but approved by FAA for aircraft travel. I think having a car seat also helps with keeping your kid with sleeping on the long flight, but YMMV

https://www.babiesrus.ca/en/Cosco-Sc.../DF150380.html

Looks like prices have gone up a little bit, these used to be $48-$60 usd or so...

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2023, 02:25 PM   #908
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,695 Times in 1,625 Posts
Quote:
Posting for friend, it's their first child. (cue my quarter life crisis sigh)

People with Tesla Model 3, what do you use for baby monitoring? Have you gotten a car baby video monitor or have you tried mirror? They would prefer video but they don't know what set up is better.

Onco Baby Car Mirror Rear-facing - Platinum Award Winning Car Mirror Baby Rear Facing Seat, Baby Essentials for Newborn, 100% Shatterproof Baby Mirror for Car, 360 degree Car Seat Mirror Rear Facing Infant https://a.co/d/1Nfv5WW

Zacro 1080P Baby Car Camera for Rear Facing Seat -170° Wide Angle Baby Car Mirror with Video Record & HD Night Vision Monitor, Support Front & Rear Dash Cam https://a.co/d/13jSpm6
lol wtf does the car have to do with it. You absolutely do not need a baby monitor for your car, let alone a mirror.

Also consensus is you don't want anything (especially hard/solid) hanging or loose in case of a significant accident, it becomes a projectile.

I get first baby and all but it sounds like your friends are heading down a bad path lol
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2023, 03:07 PM   #909
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,024 Posts
Quote:
Posting for friend, it's their first child. (cue my quarter life crisis sigh)

People with Tesla Model 3, what do you use for baby monitoring? Have you gotten a car baby video monitor or have you tried mirror? They would prefer video but they don't know what set up is better.

Onco Baby Car Mirror Rear-facing - Platinum Award Winning Car Mirror Baby Rear Facing Seat, Baby Essentials for Newborn, 100% Shatterproof Baby Mirror for Car, 360 degree Car Seat Mirror Rear Facing Infant https://a.co/d/1Nfv5WW

Zacro 1080P Baby Car Camera for Rear Facing Seat -170° Wide Angle Baby Car Mirror with Video Record & HD Night Vision Monitor, Support Front & Rear Dash Cam https://a.co/d/13jSpm6
We had a mirror for the first kid in the X3, none in the M3 cause there was no way to hold it in place.

For the second one we are just like fuck it, she cries she cries.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2023, 05:16 PM   #910
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,149 Times in 388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRNammer View Post

https://www.mifold.ca/en/product/hif...oster/HF02CRED

Mifold Hifold booster

Your kid meets the height requirement but not the weight.

This is a hard seat to find regarding purchasing, as the manufacture website and local retailers haven't restocked in the longest time.

EDIT:

Quite strange, the American website for this has expired as per GoDaddy
I looked into this a couple months ago, as I had been looking for the compact MiFold and was trying to find out about restocking. We ended up getting a couple unexpired ones from friends who's kids had outgrown them.

The company went silent last fall, and from what I was able to find, was that the company/inventor was bought by some investment group in Dec '22. There was something about them restarting production/distribution in the future, but who knows at this point.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2023, 06:16 PM   #911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikoyan View Post
I looked into this a couple months ago, as I had been looking for the compact MiFold and was trying to find out about restocking. We ended up getting a couple unexpired ones from friends who's kids had outgrown them.

The company went silent last fall, and from what I was able to find, was that the company/inventor was bought by some investment group in Dec '22. There was something about them restarting production/distribution in the future, but who knows at this point.
Thank you for the informative post, because I got other parents asking me regarding stock the for the Mifold in which I didn't have an answer for them
Quote:
Quote:
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
Old 05-31-2023, 07:44 PM   #912

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakkaboy View Post
I would just buy those cheap "Cosco" convertible car seats that's super lightweight compared to your normal car seat (7lbs), but approved by FAA for aircraft travel. I think having a car seat also helps with keeping your kid with sleeping on the long flight, but YMMV

https://www.babiesrus.ca/en/Cosco-Sc.../DF150380.html

Looks like prices have gone up a little bit, these used to be $48-$60 usd or so...
FYI this seat is on sale for $80 and tomorrow is the last day. This seat comes up quite a bit when you research travel car seats

Here's a link to Canadian Tire stores that have it on stock for $80: https://stocktrack.ca/?s=ct&q=0468824

My Feedback

Blah™
Old 05-31-2023, 11:45 PM   #913

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/e...+car+seats#srp

Anyone looking for a cheap 2 in 1 booster, Canadian Tire has these for $49.99. Sale ends June 1st today before closing

EDIT: 2 in 1 as in you can have a back booster or backless
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by TypeRNammer; 06-01-2023 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-24-2023, 11:24 PM   #914
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
What are some good stores that are let you try out convertible seats?
I heard they are pretty much final sale items so that makes it a lot more challenging.

I have a Mazda3, so I would prefer something compact if possible, but it seems like most seats in the rear facing position is going to take up a lot of space regardless.

But no one sits in the front passenger seat so I figured I should be ok if I just push that seat forward all the way in worst case scenario?

I'm also looking at the Diono Radian 3RXT SafePlus.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 12:10 AM   #915
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
I heard they are pretty much final sale items so that makes it a lot more challenging.

I have a Mazda3, so I would prefer something compact if possible, but it seems like most seats in the rear facing position is going to take up a lot of space regardless.

But no one sits in the front passenger seat so I figured I should be ok if I just push that seat forward all the way in worst case scenario?

West Coast Kids (Main St) have lots on display and you can probably ask to take their display one out to try in the car while there. I wouldn't suggest any 3 in 1 type car seat if you have a mid size vehicle. As much as it saves money to just buy one, they are a lot longer/taller and heavier therefore it will not be ideal for anybody to sit in the front. I have a couple of Nuna Rava's rear facing in the STI and I don't have to change my seat position at all for myself or the passenger. I'd stay clear away from any 3 in 1 if compact is important for you.

Keep in mind kids can stay rear facing up to 3-4 years. It's not short term inconvenience to save some money.
vash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 12:14 AM   #916

Quote:

TJs on Marine and Manitoba will let you take any of their displays out to install in the car.

Which gen Mazda3 do you have? I've fit the Graco 4ever and the Clek Foonf rear facing in my M3. I've also had the latest Alfa-esque Mazda 3 hatch as a loaner and put the Clek forwards facing into it. The newest Mazda3 really sucks for space and it took some manuvering to get the seat in.
Old 06-26-2023, 01:31 AM   #917
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
I have a 3rd gen Mazda3 hatch.
I think for forward facing, I wouldn't have any problems. It's really just the few years of rear facing that I'm trying to make it work.

Are non "3-in-1" types supposed to be generally cheaper? The prices seem to be similar regardless.. lol.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 08:00 AM   #918
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
I have a 3rd gen Mazda3 hatch.
I think for forward facing, I wouldn't have any problems. It's really just the few years of rear facing that I'm trying to make it work.

Are non "3-in-1" types supposed to be generally cheaper? The prices seem to be similar regardless.. lol.
Yes they are generally the same price or cheaper. They usually aren't as comfortable and heavier. Cleaning car seats is another factor you should consider as well. Vomit, spit ups, and food can make it very frustrating to clean up as well with certain models.
vash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 08:23 AM   #919

Quote:

Diono's are usually taller from what I remember, and probably harder to fit rear facing than most.

But if you are planning on having multiple kids and needing 3 various car seats in the back at the same time, then your choices are really only Diono or Clek as they are the only ones that advertise "3 across", but YMMV

My Feedback

Blah™
Old 06-26-2023, 08:31 AM   #920
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
In our CX-5 (which I feel like the back seats are going to be the same as a Mazda 3) we tried pretty much every single car seat out there and the only one we could comfortably fit in our car rear-facing was the Nuna Rava. But it all depends on the how close your front seats are to the dashboard.

My wife likes the front passenger seat relatively far from the dashboard, so that made putting any seats behind the front passenger challenging.

We were able to fit the Nuna behind the driver seat without having to change the seating position, so we went with that one. But if you or your passenger doesn't mind sitting closer to the dash, then you might have more options.
Eff-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 12:17 PM   #921

q: what's a nice forward facing seat that can become a booster that folks like? We use a Graco 3 in 1 and now that we're forward facing we're thinking about alternative seats especially as my daughter has never much liked the Graco (we've had to pad the back to make it comfy). Doesn't nap anymore in the car, is pretty petite (less than 30lbs), is over 4.

Last edited by supafamous; 06-26-2023 at 12:29 PM.
supafamous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 01:54 PM   #922

Quote:
q: what's a nice forward facing seat that can become a booster that folks like? We use a Graco 3 in 1 and now that we're forward facing we're thinking about alternative seats especially as my daughter has never much liked the Graco (we've had to pad the back to make it comfy). Doesn't nap anymore in the car, is pretty petite (less than 30lbs), is over 4.
You're looking for a "harnessed booster" and unfortunately there isn't a lot of them to choose from.

We have a Britax "Grow with you" and it's arlight, but heavy. If it's just staying in one car then it should be just fine. I only bought it because my priorities nowadays are easy installation and this one has click tight. It also costs almost $500 though, although it's currently on sale for $399: https://www.westcoastkids.ca/grow-with-you-clicktight

Your other options are ones made by Graco or Harmony, or you could go with an all-in-one seat, but then it's a bit of a waste

[EDIT] Nuna did come out with their version a few months ago...and it's $780 lol

My Feedback

Blah™
This post thanked by:
Old 06-27-2023, 09:03 AM   #923

We bought a Graco 4ever, but honestly we aren't sure if we are ever going to use the booster modes because we might just buy some standalone boosters anyways.
Old 06-28-2023, 01:19 PM   #924
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,461 Times in 1,127 Posts
We have the Graco Tranzitions for our older daughter as she's tall enough for a booster, but not really heavy enough for a traditional booster.

It's not the best seat, but you can get them at a reasonable price when they're on sale and can stack the discounts, like Canadian Tire Money.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 06:49 PM   #925

Anyone know good organisations that accept donations of goods that help low income parents? We've got a few things like our infant car seat that I'd rather donate than try to sell.