REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-23-2021, 04:05 PM   #26
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,518 Posts
Did anyone watch the video and notice that it doesn't really sound like a V8?
Advertisement
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:53 PM   #27
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,724 Times in 893 Posts
^ yes, but if you watch the start up on the donut media release it does have the v8 rumble
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2021, 07:23 PM   #28
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Is that stock? I can get behind that noise. Now if they'll just release it with a stick... (I know it's never gonna happen)

A NA V8 isn't going to win races, why not give me the stick?
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2021, 07:24 PM   #29
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
I know a lot of people are raging for V8s to come back but I don't know if this is it. Being an "f-sport" it's not a m3 competitor but rather M340i and the M340i is faster to 60mph thanks to all-wheel-drive.

I think this will help the IS-F prices stay inflated because of addition it has over this. IMO they could have used the 3.5L twin turbo 6 in the LS500 and made a better car overall. This was probably just cheaper for them to manufacture. They already had the engine, trans and rear end all they had to "develop" was a new hood.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:43 PM   #30
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,817 Times in 3,901 Posts
toyota diehards don't care for spec sheet

what does the isf have over this aside from fenders? esp the earlier models sans lsd

this is their interim attainable halo car, no one would bat an eye if they went tt6

toyota is quite brilliant as of late: turbo3 rally car for europe/asia, big displacement n/a for NA

pending price of course...i think enthusiasts expecting it 60k cad might come up a bit short
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:03 PM   #31
Need to Seek Professional Help

Earlier models have bigger brakes as well I think.
Suprarz666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:54 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
toyota diehards don't care for spec sheet

what does the isf have over this aside from fenders? esp the earlier models sans lsd

this is their interim attainable halo car, no one would bat an eye if they went tt6

toyota is quite brilliant as of late: turbo3 rally car for europe/asia, big displacement n/a for NA

pending price of course...i think enthusiasts expecting it 60k cad might come up a bit short
I'm expecting this this come in closer to 70k with appropriate options. A M340 optioned well is around that price and I don't see why Lexus would charge significantly less.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-24-2021, 07:19 PM   #33
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
Imagine if a GX-F comes out with that engine lol. Lexus can make an attempt at X-M territory by having different sized SUVs.
We joke but a V8 RX-F would sell out in days

Imagine whatever the F-Sport but 10% more StReEt RaCiNg
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:30 PM   #34

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
I'm expecting this this come in closer to 70k with appropriate options. A M340 optioned well is around that price and I don't see why Lexus would charge significantly less.
Will be north of that. A fully loaded 2021 IS350 F-Sport is already flirting with $60k before any taxes/fees.
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-24-2021, 09:44 PM   #35

my guess is low 60s US and low 70s here + some adm, likely a pretty limited run
half decent availability first model year then it'll last until they run out of the 3uz to retool for more hybrids/electrification
Old 02-25-2021, 09:58 AM   #36

Quote:
my guess is low 60s US and low 70s here + some adm, likely a pretty limited run
half decent availability first model year then it'll last until they run out of the 3uz to retool for more hybrids/electrification
I'm not sure they'll run out of the 3UZ, and I don't think this is to use up their stockpile of them.

Toyota is the pioneer of JIT production and I doubt they have more on hand than they need.

I'd wager the IS350, which used to be the equivalent of the Audi S4, MB C350/400, and BMW 335 just doesn't quite measure up anymore and they need a cheap competitor to tie them over until the 2GR gets replaced. What's cheaper than an existing drivetrain, in an old chassis, that they've probably already did some R&D on in the past. There's probably an old 3G IS with the V8 already in an attic covered with dust and cobwebs, just the public never knew about it.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:22 PM   #37
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
I'm not sure they'll run out of the 3UZ, and I don't think this is to use up their stockpile of them.

Toyota is the pioneer of JIT production and I doubt they have more on hand than they need.

I'd wager the IS350, which used to be the equivalent of the Audi S4, MB C350/400, and BMW 335 just doesn't quite measure up anymore and they need a cheap competitor to tie them over until the 2GR gets replaced. What's cheaper than an existing drivetrain, in an old chassis, that they've probably already did some R&D on in the past. There's probably an old 3G IS with the V8 already in an attic covered with dust and cobwebs, just the public never knew about it.
They do have a twin turbo 3.5L V6 available making 415hp (currently in the LS500) which I wager would actually make more sense than this V8. That leaves them room for a true IS-F.
bomberR17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:27 PM   #38
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileighty_180sx View Post
Unlike RC-F
- No IS-F Seats
- No wide body
- No wider tires
- No vented hood

Car is pretty much identical to the $42k IS300RWD (base model already a F-Sport with 19" wheels)

IS500 basically replaced the 2.0t with the V8 5.0 (plus LSD and longer front), let's hope it will be $59.9k CAD to start.
Very good points but I bet you it will start at 70k

"The value of life can be measured by how many times the soul has been deeply stirred"- Soichiro Honda
busdriverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:49 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberR17 View Post
They do have a twin turbo 3.5L V6 available making 415hp (currently in the LS500) which I wager would actually make more sense than this V8. That leaves them room for a true IS-F.
Turn up the boost or strap on bigger twins, the possibilities are endless.

My bet is it doesn't make more sense from the R&D department, which I wager was done with the V8 previously but never released. The V8 also probably costs less than the V6TT to make, and it matches the North American shopping culture better.

I personally don't have a preference to 6cyl with turbos or an 8(I drive a F80 M3), but I have to admit that video posted of the LC500, that sounds glorious and it's not something any 6 cylinder can replicate.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:55 PM   #40
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
IMO in todays market they put that engine in the wrong car. If they put the same V8 in the NX it would generate a bit more interest.

It's also pretty ballsy to come out with a V8 nowadays. It would have made more sense 5-10 years ago (W204 C63 and E90 days). A V6 Hybrid system with AWD would have been more appropriate.

but I'm not complaining. Long live the V8's.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:06 PM   #41

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
I'd say the vast majority of the people complaining about how Toyota is reusing an old chassis, old motor, and selling it to you for whatever crazy amount, weren't remotely interesting in buying an IS500 anyway. I mean...which manufacturer is crazy enough to stuff in an NA V8 into a sports sedan these days? This is basically a passion project by yours truly Akio Toyoda, for us passionate car enthusiasts. I for one would seriously consider leasing one when my UX lease comes up, if it's still available by then.
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:45 PM   #42
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

The ISF was the wrong answer in the E90 and W204 era because BMW and MB made the better cake with the same recipe. Today, the Germans have deviated so far from that recipe, it's not even cake anymore. MB with their less cylinders more screens C class and BMW with their ugly and farty 3 series with the pity 6mt. I think the IS500 is absolutely the right answer when asked the same question this time around. I like the direction Lexus is going with this. They avoid having to make it a big spectacle by not calling it a true F car, avoid having to style it with an aggressive body kit, avoid having auto journalist compare it again with M and AMG things. They can keep this car's looks understated and sleeper. Think of it like ordering an out of season special coffee from the secret menu at Starbucks. It won't come in a holiday themed cup but its the same drink.
toyota86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:52 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by donjalapeno View Post
If they put the same V8 in the NX it would generate a bit more interest.

but I'm not complaining. Long live the V8's.
i was just thinking exactly that

if i really want a v8 sedan i'll go get an old school LS for cheap

but if it's gonna be an automatic and weigh almost 4000lbs might as well have the practicality of a suv
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2021, 04:03 PM   #44
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Quote:
i was just thinking exactly that

if i really want a v8 sedan i'll go get an old school LS for cheap

but if it's gonna be an automatic and weigh almost 4000lbs might as well have the practicality of a suv
I mean isn't that kind of the opposite of the IS? Heavi(er), longer, larger, more of a luxury touring sedan rather than a sporty-ish more compact one? And no one is really doing manual V8 sedans any more anyways, so the manual argument is a bit moot. Pushing this around the twisties would be more fun than the LS, for sure, and parking is probably going to be easier lol.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:46 PM   #45

Thanked 1,180 Times in 354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
I mean isn't that kind of the opposite of the IS? Heavi(er), longer, larger, more of a luxury touring sedan rather than a sporty-ish more compact one? And no one is really doing manual V8 sedans any more anyways, so the manual argument is a bit moot. Pushing this around the twisties would be more fun than the LS, for sure, and parking is probably going to be easier lol.
Last call over at Cadillac.... 2021 allocations for USA already all sold out for CT5-V Blackwing

Past:
- '09 Ducati Monster 696 "Ketchup"
- '20 Dodge Charger R/T 5.7
- '20 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '19 Toyota Camry LE
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
- '06 Honda Accord V6
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2021, 01:03 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstulzerRZD View Post
Last call over at Cadillac.... 2021 allocations for USA already all sold out for CT5-V Blackwing
But here's the thing... do you want to own a Cadillac? I dunno, none of Cadillac's products really "do it" for me. Their last thing that really tickled my fancy was the CTS-V wagon.

EDIT: Also, starting at 83K puts the CT5-V Blackwing into an entirely different class.
fml
Old 03-01-2021, 01:10 PM   #47

Quote:
the current IS only few inches shorter than the full-size 7-seater LX from the 90s

hardly compact, practically touring
Old 03-01-2021, 01:16 PM   #48

Quote:
the current IS only few inches shorter than the full-size 7-seater LX from the 90s

hardly compact, practically touring
The IS is within a few inches of the other cars in its class, which is still classified as "compact luxury". Everything's grown - heck the Civic is as large as an Accord from the early 00s nowadays.

EDIT: Here's another comparison with a LX450 added in.

fml

Last edited by roastpuff; 03-01-2021 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:33 PM   #49

Thanked 1,180 Times in 354 Posts
Quote:
But here's the thing... do you want to own a Cadillac? I dunno, none of Cadillac's products really "do it" for me. Their last thing that really tickled my fancy was the CTS-V wagon.

EDIT: Also, starting at 83K puts the CT5-V Blackwing into an entirely different class.
I'd personally rather be in a Hellcat.
Not sure the Cadillac style does it for me.

But as far as the engine/trans and the E39 feeling chassis on the Caddy products... hard to beat that combo if the style works for you.

Past:
- '09 Ducati Monster 696 "Ketchup"
- '20 Dodge Charger R/T 5.7
- '20 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '19 Toyota Camry LE
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
- '06 Honda Accord V6
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:02 AM   #50

The Launch Edition in Incognito (same Cement Gray as the Tacoma?) sure looks nice. I wonder how many out of 500 Canada will get?

Does anyone in RS have a Lexus contact that I can get in touch with?
fml