REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-20-2021, 08:44 PM   #51
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Advertisement
Old 03-22-2021, 08:58 AM   #52
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Pretty ballsy of you to go with that opinion on a site that is >50% Asian.

Look I'm an Asian male that hasn't faced any type of overt racism in years (surprisingly the last incident was when I was at a stoplight in Bellingham a few years ago). But I would in no way try and discount or diminish the experience of a black person's fear of the police or a woman's fear of sexual violence. But for some reason we simply need yet another fragile white youtuber telling people racism doesn't exist.. or it does but it "just isn't that bad".

Also, gotta love his solution to all this. "Racism against Asians ain't that bad, but you should all just go out and buy guns anyways."

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)

Last edited by CivicBlues; 03-22-2021 at 09:05 AM.
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2021, 09:28 AM   #53
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hchang View Post
Hey guys the only way to respond to this is to Riot and Loot
you forgot go support asian-owned businesses

never understood that...
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:31 AM   #54
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
white guy protecting another white guy. Whats new.

If the person was brown he would be screaming isis as quick as he could make a video.

Old 03-22-2021, 10:50 AM   #55
Old School RS

Thanked 3,954 Times in 1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Pretty ballsy of you to go with that opinion on a site that is >50% Asian.
Actually, it is a very sound argument. 100% of his victims were sex workers, and if there was a hate crime, the evidence points to it being hatrid against sex workers, not Asians.

In fact, as far as I know (and I could certainly be wrong), there is no evidence to support the conclusion that he was specifically targeting Asians.

The simple fact that 6/9 people he shot were Asian does not provide whatsoever that his goal was to shoot Asians - which is the angle a lot of the initial media coverage provided because it's an even better headline.

The alternative explanation which also fits would be that the demographic of sex workers in these massage businesses were overwhelmingly Asian, which explains why then the proportion of victims were also proportionally Asian.

This is a terrible crime either way, but I wish we could focus on mourning the victims, punishing the criminals, and preventing repeats - instead of twisting the facts to create a better headline or to further an agenda.

-Mark
Old 03-22-2021, 12:49 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post

This is a terrible crime either way, but I wish we could focus on mourning the victims, punishing the criminals, and preventing repeats - instead of twisting the facts to create a better headline or to further an agenda.

Hate crimes get a longer prison sentance.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:18 PM   #57
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Actually, it is a very sound argument. 100% of his victims were sex workers, and if there was a hate crime, the evidence points to it being hatrid against sex workers, not Asians.

In fact, as far as I know (and I could certainly be wrong), there is no evidence to support the conclusion that he was specifically targeting Asians.

The simple fact that 6/9 people he shot were Asian does not provide whatsoever that his goal was to shoot Asians - which is the angle a lot of the initial media coverage provided because it's an even better headline.

The alternative explanation which also fits would be that the demographic of sex workers in these massage businesses were overwhelmingly Asian, which explains why then the proportion of victims were also proportionally Asian.

-Mark
Actually a few of the victims were not sex workers and were either managers of the store or customers/bystanders.

The fact of the mater is it doesn't matter what percentage of his victims were Asian ( would 7 out of 9 count? Or in your mind would it have to be 9 out of 9 for it to count as a hate crime?). It's a hate crime because he was a frequent patron of these establishments and fetishized Asian women to a point that he saw them as disposable vessels. He also conveniently passed over strip clubs staffed mainly by whites next to the massage parlors, because come on if you're going to get a rub-n-tug you're probably going to stop by the peeler bar at least once for curiosity. If that's not racism I don't know what is.

Sick and tired of people trying to white-splain out of this mess. Same gaslighting BS happened when George Floyd was killed. OnE oF ThE CoPs WaSn'T WhItE sO iT CaN't Be RaCiSt!!!!111

Last edited by CivicBlues; 03-22-2021 at 01:27 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2021, 01:22 PM   #58

he was heard saying imma kill all Asians so there’s end of that debate
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2021, 01:38 PM   #59
Old School RS

Thanked 3,954 Times in 1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Actually a few of the victims were not sex workers and were either managers of the store or customers/bystanders.

The fact of the mater is it doesn't matter what percentage of his victims were Asian ( would 7 out of 9 count? Or in your mind would it have to be 9 out of 9 for it to count as a hate crime?). It's a hate crime because he was a frequent patron of these establishments and fetishized Asian women to a point that he saw them as disposable vessels. He also conveniently passed over strip clubs staffed mainly by whites next to the massage parlors, because come on if you're going to get a rub-n-tug you're probably going to stop by the peeler bar at least once for curiosity. If that's not racism I don't know what is.

Sick and tired of people trying to white-splain out of this mess.
"White-splain"... really? My argument is not any less sound because I am white and I don't really know why your back is up - I am not in ANY way condoning, diminishing, or accepting what this guy did. It is truly disgusting.

My point is simply that there is not overwhelming evidence that his intent was to shoot Asian people, where there is significant evidence that his intent was to target sex workers. And yes - they are sex workers, reporting has stated that those massage parlors have been documented to provide sexual services.

"Mr. Long, who is white, said he had targeted the spas because he wanted to remove a “temptation,” the authorities have said. A former roommate of his at a halfway house said Mr. Long had tried to stop acting on his sexual desires as recently as 2020 but had continued going to massage parlors for sex."
(Quote from the NYT)

My point continues to be that this is a gross act of murder and if I was a juror, I could get behind life without parole in solitary in a new york minute - the harshest punishment possible short of the death penalty.

I just think we are doing all of ourselves a disservice by not challenging some of the reporting that clearly is leveraging this to push forward their own narrative.

-Mark
Old 03-22-2021, 02:17 PM   #60
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
i saw the guy's videos of stats showing decreased asian hate crimes over the years...on social media i also see news of increased asian hate crimes over the years, especially relating to the pandemic...wonder who's stats are correct ...

also, everyone is saying they're sex workers (not sure if it makes a diff), but i'm seeing articles as mentioned that they're actually not, they own, or do nails (i.e. spa stuff, etc).

white-splain...i think i just expanded my vocab here ...

either way, it's an opportunity for micro-aggressions against asians finally have a little bit of spotlight on it. if he's trying to get out of the hate crime bit i think he's SOL...hating against gender like he's stating, is also a hate crime in georgia apparently.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 02:26 PM   #61
linguistic ninja

Quote:
"White-splain"... really? My argument is not any less sound because I am white and I don't really know why your back is up - I am not in ANY way condoning, diminishing, or accepting what this guy did. It is truly disgusting.

My point is simply that there is not overwhelming evidence that his intent was to shoot Asian people, where there is significant evidence that his intent was to target sex workers. And yes - they are sex workers, reporting has stated that those massage parlors have been documented to provide sexual services.

"Mr. Long, who is white, said he had targeted the spas because he wanted to remove a “temptation,” the authorities have said. A former roommate of his at a halfway house said Mr. Long had tried to stop acting on his sexual desires as recently as 2020 but had continued going to massage parlors for sex."
(Quote from the NYT)

My point continues to be that this is a gross act of murder and if I was a juror, I could get behind life without parole in solitary in a new york minute - the harshest punishment possible short of the death penalty.

I just think we are doing all of ourselves a disservice by not challenging some of the reporting that clearly is leveraging this to push forward their own narrative.

-Mark
But not ALL his victims were sex workers, so according to your logic we can't make that assumption either.

Also, I'd be hesitant to take the word of a mass murderer over eyewitness accounts from the victims of him saying he wanted to kill all Asians, but that's just me.

Again not sure what kind of "narrative" you think is being pushed on you? The fact of the matter is there have been an uptake in random unprovoked attacks on Asians in the past year, if it takes a mass shooting of MOSTLY Asians to shine a spotlight on it, what does it matter what his ultimate motive was?

George Floyd wasn't technically killed because he was black, but because he was passing counterfeit bills and resisting arrest. Should we just dismiss the whole BLM movement too then?

This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2021, 02:34 PM   #62
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Another mass shooting going on rn in the states, in boulder (is this like the 100th time boulder colorado had a mass shooting?)
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2021, 04:53 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Another mass shooting going on rn in the states, in boulder (is this like the 100th time boulder colorado had a mass shooting?)
Multiple dead including one police officer.
Old 03-22-2021, 05:03 PM   #64
in the butt

Thanked 3,220 Times in 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 05:36 PM   #65

Murica's back
Old 03-22-2021, 06:44 PM   #66
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Asian Americans: We need to increase visibility of the racism we deal with, which has been ignored for decades. We need people to see it, we need more media coverage of it.

Shitty youtuber: Nothing has changed, it's just the increase of media coverage of it. "Fake Hysteria"

Fuckin
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2021, 12:08 PM   #67
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,574 Times in 1,718 Posts
^It's so boring and lame.

Wow, that guy is being so edgy and controversial, another white youtuber that comes out during a racial attack to state "All is well, it's just an exaggeration".

We hear this same garbage every time a black man is shot by police. The constant gaslighting by white internet personalities that want to smell their owns farts, and be contrarian on a very obvious issue/subject.

We're just seeing now happen by these folks against Asian violence/racism. Same formula, different demographic.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2021, 12:11 PM   #68

The shooter in Boulder appears to be...Muslim? Great... now we'll hear about real terrorism again

The guy looks like Bert Kreischer tho, so who knows. It will be interesting to hear his motivations.

Old 03-23-2021, 03:39 PM   #69

He probably got a random boner and decided to punish everyone for it
Old 03-23-2021, 04:14 PM   #70
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
Just had a bad day, typical end of his rope kinda thing.

Seriously though, Merica needs to fix its gun issue.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2021, 05:12 PM   #71

A bit of TDS?
Old 03-23-2021, 06:31 PM   #72

Imagine being happy about the ethnicity of a mass shooter and then posting circle jerk tweets about it.
Old 03-23-2021, 07:57 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
He probably got a random boner and decided to punish everyone for it
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
The shooter in Boulder appears to be...Muslim? Great... now we'll hear about real terrorism again

The guy looks like Bert Kreischer tho, so who knows. It will be interesting to hear his motivations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Imagine being happy about the ethnicity of a mass shooter and then posting circle jerk tweets about it.
Yeah imagine that...
Old 03-23-2021, 08:17 PM   #74

What?
Old 03-24-2021, 11:27 AM   #75

No idea what type of point you're trying to make here, Bouncy.